Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New Airhead

kmkahuna

New Airhead

Greetings Airhead Forum! Going to pick up a 1978 slash-7 in San Juan Capistrano tommorrow. With my m/c nut neighbor Marc, looking forward to getting her home, cleaning her up a bit, and riding her this summer! Right float is leaking a bit, needs a new gas cap, and some light rust here and there...beautiful bike! Now the garage has a dirtbike (CRF-230F), an oilhead(R850R) and now, this beauty....think I'm hooked!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good year, good looking bike, good color! Have fun!

kmkahuna

Black exhausts on 78 R100/7?

Does anyone know what the story is on black exhaust pipes? Did they come from a particular model?

Quote Originally Posted by kmkahuna View Post
    Does anyone know what the story is on black exhaust pipes? Did they come from a particular model?
    The R65 or R65LS?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

AFAIK, no '78 came with anything but chrome pipes. The R65LS ('79, IIRC) came from the factory with matte black exhaust (headers and mufflers), but that's the only '70's era bike that did.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

kmkahuna
    Looks like the exhausts were painted over: there's chrome underneath.
    Well, VIN 6147992, so it's a /7 manufactured in March 78.. it's got the Flat top Bings.
    Got my Clymer...got a space in the garage picked out...and got the original pink slip daddy! (well, from 85 at least!)... I hear these flat tops can be a problem?

I hear these flat tops can be a problem?
    Apparently they were for sombody - someone was in there and did something bizarre with the intake -to-carb connection.

Nonetheless, that is a nice machine! I could use something llike that, if you get bored with it...

Those flat top carbs will work just fine if you take care of them. I put 40k miles on my 78 with the flat tops and they were reliable and smooth and responsive the whole way. NEVER put me on the side of the road and never gave me concern. Try cranking on them while healed over, chasing the east branch of the Delaware River and you'll have a smile that'll make your ears hurt.

Learn about carbs - how they work and how to maintain them. The 32mm flat tops with the 78 R100/7 drive train will give you a wonderful ride year after year. Do you want to race the thing and drag hard parts all the time? Then go get something else. Do you want to spend day after day touring country roads and climbing mountains and chasing rivers upstream? This bike will do just fine.

Don't believe everything you hear. There are many opinions out here on the internet and some of them are valid.

kmkahuna
    Thanks for the replies, everyone, and thanks for the feedback, tpbyrum; it's always a lot of fun starting up a new project. Think I got a good deal, and she should be a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying geisterfahrer's thread as well, now that I have a similar project in my garage!
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=41334
    But...I am hoping to keep my mitts off this bike for awhile, and avoid my tendency to tear everything down to the molecular level and attempt the perfection process...I think she just needs some TLC here and there for now.
    More pics to follow.

No longer a member here
    I revived a 1978 R100S that had been parked for 13 years. It was a very rewarding job. The bike runs like a scalded dog (cat?). The paint is original!

someone was in there and did something bizarre with the intake -to-carb connection.

So, what is up with that air-tube connection from the air-box?!?! Is it a) the tube is on the wrong side? b) it's upside down c) the carb-to-head connector has been shortened for some perceived "performance" reason? d) it's just partially disconnected? e) other.

What's the other side look like? Getting those air tubes on can be quite a wrangle the first time someone does it; a combination of having all the clamps loose enough to allow everything to slip together. And with the two tubes being different in length and angle it can be a bit confusing.

I'm not a statistician so what is the number of different combinations; 2 tubes, 2 lengths, 2 angles, each tube has an "up" and a "down"?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Thumbs up R100/7

Quote Originally Posted by tpbyrum View Post
    Learn about carbs - how they work and how to maintain them. The 32mm flat tops with the 78 R100/7 drive train will give you a wonderful ride year after year. Do you want to race the thing and drag hard parts all the time? Then go get something else. Do you want to spend day after day touring country roads and climbing mountains and chasing rivers upstream? This bike will do just fine.

Don't believe everything you hear. There are many opinions out here on the internet and some of them are valid.
    What Todd said!! :-)

Clean it up, pamper it, and it will give back many happy miles!!

In my not so humble opinion, there is NOTHING like an Airhead twin at full "song" on the open road. Good luck, you will love it!!
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

kmkahuna
    All good questions, Lew...ones that will have to wait until those carbs are sitting on my workbench...after I install my workbench...after I finish remodeling the garage..after I finish the landscaping...after I finish prepping my boat for sale..after I finish....
    You guys know how that goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    So, what is up with that air-tube connection from the air-box?!?! Is it a) the tube is on the wrong side? b) it's upside down c) the carb-to-head connector has been shortened for some perceived "performance" reason? d) it's just partially disconnected? e) other.
    On my /7, the big rubber collar is up at the airbox. It is quite the rubic's cube to get these things on correctly. They will only fit one way. If you put it on and it looks wonky, it probably is wrong. Since the cylinders are offset on the crank, that means the sides will be different. Get the shorter one on the side it needs to be then try it in the two different positions...you'll find out which one works.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post

I'm not a statistician so what is the number of different combinations; 2 tubes, 2 lengths, 2 angles, each tube has an "up" and a "down"?
    I'm going with a), Alex! Probably b), too.

The answer to the number of combinations is 8 - and only one of those is right.