• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Muscle Cramps

kellysbeemer

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Hi all,

OK, today we rode only about 90 miles and all of a sudden my right leg and my left foot and my left hand decided to cramp up, all at the same time! :uhoh
I was able to pull off and walk around then get back on and it started up again. Rode to our local food co-op (health food store) and bought some elecrolyte water, emergenC powder to put in it and some homeopathic remedy for leg cramps. One of them finally kicked in but I'm wondering if there are other suggestions from others who may have experienced this at one time or another. Decided to up my calcium/magnesium from now on too.

Thanks,
Kelly

Bananas.
A potassium crash is a terrible thing. Aerostich sells a banana case that works great in the tank bag.

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!!

Dehydration is one of the biggest causes of cramps, and I believe most riders do not realize just how much water we loose when riding.

Bananas!!! Works for me!

I learned in my 20's that potassium was lacking so it's been a banana a day for LOTS of days.

:groovy

Voni
sMiling

Drink more water!

I find for myself that drinking more water the day or two before the ride will help hydrate me so I do not cramp. It also depends on what the temperature is for me during the ride. I do tend to drink a Gatorade or two when I ride if it is above 90 degrees.

Can't say it enough so let's say it again.

Water and Potassium!!!!! :thumb :thumb

I hate to bring possible bad news, but please don't shoot the messenger. I had a pinched nerve due to a protruding disc, had the surgery to correct this problem, and I can honestly say from personal experience that there may be another cause for cramping. Or at least a "feeling" of cramping.

Allow me to explain. Everyone has a different story or experience, mine is related to this back injury and the nerve damage cuased by the protruding disc.

Due to the pressure on my sciatic nerve, I sometimes get what I call ghost cramps in my right leg. These are not like a Charlie horse. The muscle is not tight or hard during an attack; it can be shaken like Jello but it hurt. It hurts terribly. The only solution is to get off the bike and straighten out the leg. If I squat down many times I can initiate the same condition, off the bike. And, wow itÔÇÖs not pleasant.

This was a chronic problem on my 2006 R1200ST, but I since changed to a 2005 R1200GS and I can now ride for hours w/out having a problem.

Long story, short do not overlook a possible deeper problem than low K or dehydration. Especially, if you are sure youve eliminated these simple causes, and continue to have problems.

Len

I don't know if this would apply to you, but I've experienced leg cramps ever since I started taking statins. My MD prescribed magnesium oxide. Solved it right away. But, having said that, by all means, talk to your doctor.
On a less than medical solution, I found the greater the distance from the saddle my foot pegs are, the less leg cramping I experience. When I sit on a lowered seat, my legs feel all scrunched up.

Good advice above. You should also make sure that the bike is set up properly for you. Maybe it is maybe it isn't. Before I got my bike set up for me, my legs would cramp up and get tired.

Wow, great posts from all, thank you! I bought some bananas. I had not been eating them since I gave up sugar but will try 1/2 of one a day.

Where does one go to get their bike set up so it fits them? I'd love to do that.

Something I read a while back, and I don't remember where, is to find what makes you want to get off the bike and fix it. Things you might want to check are the reach to the bars, the angles of the levers and pegs. You might even consider the expense of different bars or footpeg lowering kits. Play around with tweaking the existing items, then change if you perceive no improvement.

a quick solution to muscle cramps is Pickel Juice, yep Pickel Juice, it cures you cramps quickly. But like the others said stay hydrated.

Wade

Hydrate in Advance

Hydrate at least a day in advance. I full body massage a couple of days before long distance riding is also a great idea to help flush out lactic acid and other "stuff" that begins to "settle" in the muscles once riding begins.

Yes hydrate, yes potassium. However, a 1/2 teaspoon of salt taken in a fluid will also work wonders, if you have no dietary issues with salt. This trick works very well for us serious bicyclists at night if we have over trained that day; we take the salt before bed to stop the leg muscles from cramping during the night.

Hydrate at least a day in advance. I full body massage a couple of days before long distance riding is also a great idea to help flush out lactic acid and other "stuff" that begins to "settle" in the muscles once riding begins.
This is also part of my routine. As well, (only while touring), I take quinine prescribed by my doctor. The same result can be obtained by drinking tonic water but I found there to be too much sugar in those drinks. As well, I make a point of sipping water every 10 minutes.

A Camelback holding 50>70oz of water lets you hydrate on the go. In hot weather I fill mine with ice cubes and add as much water as it will take. If you travel about 120>160 miles between gas stations you can always add more ice "usually at no cost" and have a cold drink all day long. I have learned to blow back thru the bite valve after taking a sip. If you fail to do this the water in the tube quickly becomes as warm as the climate you are riding in.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Years ago I learned from the off-road riding world that some of the top riders would crush one or two tabs of their favorite analgesic in their drinking system, thereby taking a little pain-killer with each sip and helping to ward off fatigue.

Gatorade for me as I hate bananas. On a long trip I force myself to eat bananas too. About 3 X water for every Gatorade. Also Advil is my friend. One with breakfast and I am good to go all day.

Dehydrated makes me sleepy. I have to stop often, for water, however that also gives me a chance to stretch, make the trip more enjoyable.

Rod

Back