• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas mileage survey

'98 RT Fuel Mileage

I've been collecting mileage data on my stock '98R11RT since 2004, which now has ~ 52,000 miles on the clock:

- overall average: 44.352 MPG
- highest: 55.945 MPG
- lowest: 36.563 MPG
- most common fuel: Shell V-Power

The saddlebags are always on, and sometimes the tail trunk. Windscreen is usually trimmed up about 25%.

Last edited:
I routinely get 42 mpg on my 94 R1100RS, and as high as 48 during constant long highway rides with little throttle change. My bike is set up like this:
1. Techlusion
2. K&N Filter
3. GS intake tubes on the stock RS airbox and intake horn
4. Autolite 3923 plugs
5. Self built muffler internals (freer flowing, bit better exhaust note, NOT loud at all).

In really spirited twisty riding I may get into the high 30's for mileage. But overall my average is 42 mpg. This on a 94 RS with a Parrabellum windshield, stock bags, no top box, stock rear hub for all of the 154K on the bike.

Very interesting posts.

I believe that I ride fairly conservativly, yet the best I can do around town is 38mpg.
On the open road with sustained speeds between 70-80, I get about 44mpg.

I have tried the Autolite 3923s, and the bike seems to run smoother with less surging. With the Bosch plugs , the surging is minimal but definitely present.

I believe I am synched well, I have no vibration in mirror, I feel some when accelerating and shifting around 5500. While cruising at 75, little to no vibration.

Tires are properly aired, starts and stops are as smooth as I can make them.
No jack rabbit starts.

Some bikes just run better than others? Riders are smoother?

Thanks for comments.

'03 rt

My '03 RT gets around 45 mpg @ 72 mph.

The best I've seen is 50 mpg @ 55 mph.

Higher speeds will definitely lower mpg's.

The newer R12 hexhead do get higher mpg's than the older R1150 oilheads.

Harry

Depends on how fast I'm riding

What kind of gas mileage do you folks get on your r1100rt?
I have a 99 and its averaging high 30s. on distance ride home I got 44 on one tank.

Comment on your mileage and if you notice anything between windshield up or down.

Thanks!:buds

I have a 2000 R1100RT depending on how I ride my gas mileage varies from around 35 mpg to 45 mpg. Commuting and higher speeds, lower mileage. At steady touring around 65 I average about 45mpg. Much worse in winter. Mileage drops significantly the colder it gets.

Gas Mileage on 1150RT

I get 40-41 usually on the slab. I have gotten 45+ plus when outside of California. Riding 2up and pulling a loaded Bushtec at high speed drops mpg to 39-40. With the Bushtec and 2up my gross vehicle weight is 1100 lbs plus 300 for the Bushtec..Not bad mpg IMHO.

'04 1150RT - how do you guys get 40+ MPG out of one of these? The best I can do is 39 and a bit. That has been consistent for the 6,000 mi I have owned the bike.

2004 R1150RT w/ 76,000 miles
42.35 overall average for the last 1500 miles
Includes an assortment of riding:
- interstate travel (best 55mpg)
- commuting to/from work
- stop & go in construction traffic
- 2nd & 3rd gear motoref work (worst 25mpg!)

Hi guys, just got back to Toronto from a ride to Charleston South Carolina 3,800 km. Bike ran purrrrrfect!!!:D
Here are my figures for comparison.:type
1996 R1100RT, 94,000 km, recently synch'd TB's and adjusted valves, changed all fluids last fall and got new Pirelli Angels installed.
Bike was loaded, 2- up there, solo back ,standard saddle bags and top box Aeroflow windshield mostly down position, average speed 70 mph @ constant 4000 rpm, variety of temps, flat roads mostly, mountainous through the Virginias.
Average 392 km ( 243miles) with 20.5 l ( 5.4 us gal)
That works out to 5.2 l/100 km or 45.2 m/us. gal or 53.5 m/imp gal.
At an average cost of $ 4.10 per gallon for 93 octane gas, it works out to $0.092
per mile for fuel. Not bad imo. No change in gas mileage riding solo or 2 up.:confused:
Best gas mileage I got so far... was along a two lane road in pensylvania last year at constant 55 mph, 51.6 mpg.us.
When my low fuel light came on, I still had 6 litres of fuel left in the tank. That means I can get 497 kms( 310 miles) on 26 litre tank at 70 mph.
cheers

Louie

Last edited:
'04 1150RT - how do you guys get 40+ MPG out of one of these? The best I can do is 39 and a bit. That has been consistent for the 6,000 mi I have owned the bike.

I have an 04' R1150RT, and I routinely get 47-50 mpg with mine. I lose some when I have to go down the E-way, but even then it's usually not too bad. I recently checked my mileage again, with mixed riding on the full tank. I had 51 miles off the full tank when I took a trip down to my Bro-in-law's place, about 102 miles from here. This would include just over 100 miles of E-way at close to 80 mph steady. My low fuel light came on at 239 miles instead of the normal 250-260 for all two lane riding. I filled up at 247 miles, putting in 5.31 gallons of premium. That works out to 46.5 mpg, which is exactly what I expected. The high speed running that I had to do on the expressway lowered my mileage. When I took a trip that was mostly E-way, I still got 43 mpg with it, which I didn't think was too bad.

I also took a trip last year over to Wisconsin, taking the Badger across Lake Michigan, then riding up to Lake Superior, across the top of the UP, then back across the Mackinaw Bridge and home to Western Michigan. I never got in any expressway riding, keeping on the two lane roads and just cruising along. I ran the RT between 55-70 mph fairly consistantly, and I never got below 49 mpg on any of the tanks I ran through it. My best was 54 mpg, and the overall average for the whole trip was about 52 mpg.

But just riding the 16 miles round trip to work and back I usually get 47-50 mpg, depending on how happy I am when I get out of work. :laugh

Last edited:
I believe they added a 6th gear when they rolled out the 1150RT, with the 1100s only having 5 gears. I have always assumed that 6th gear gave me better mileage when cruising at steady, high speeds (65+) but I have never tested it. Anyone know for sure?

While I haven't tested the mileage using 5th gear instead of 6th gear, I know that my rpm's drop quite a bit when I hit 6th gear. It is a true overdrive gear. I usually have to be running at least 55 mph before using it, because anything below that will make the bike lug a bit. But between 55-65 it works just fine, keeping my rpm's down and helping my mileage. The more I can run in 6th gear, the better my overall mileage, guessing probably another 3-5 mpg.

Boring riding but....

I rode like a sunday driver and got 38mpg. I believe if I REALLY am careful I can get more. I just hate getting passed by coworkers on the way home from work.

I'm actually very surprised at the large differences in mileage of these bikes across the spectrum, especially when the comparison is of the same model and year of bike. I know that different weather and riding conditions will have an affect, but with similar riding styles and weather it would seem that the mileage should be fairly close. But I've read figures all across the board, from lows in the low-mid 30's, to highs in the low-mid 50's. Seems to me that if most bikes of the same model are getting on average say, 45 mpg, and your bike of the same model is only getting 35 mpg, and most all of the other factors are similar, then your bike isn't tuned in the way it should be.

I know that my riding style is not real agressive anymore, as I'm more into just cruising along and taking my time. The RT is a touring bike, after all. I miss my 2000 yellow VFR Interceptor for the pure fun of riding it, and if I could afford it, I would get another one for a second bike to ride. But even with the playing I did on that bike, when I wanted to I could get over 50 mpg with it just by riding it with my brain in gear! It was hard to resist twisting the wrist, though. :)

I'm actually very surprised at the large differences in mileage of these bikes across the spectrum, especially when the comparison is of the same model and year of bike. I know that different weather and riding conditions will have an affect, but with similar riding styles and weather it would seem that the mileage should be fairly close. But I've read figures all across the board, from lows in the low-mid 30's, to highs in the low-mid 50's. Seems to me that if most bikes of the same model are getting on average say, 45 mpg, and your bike of the same model is only getting 35 mpg, and most all of the other factors are similar, then your bike isn't tuned in the way it should be.

You have to consider that it's not just riding style, but a variety of other factors as well. If you ride in Denver, for example, you'll get much better gas mileages because the EFI will lean out the throttle due to the lack of oxygen a mile up. If you live in California or an increasing number of other states, then you can't buy anything but E10 gas, which delivers about 10-15% less gas mileage. And if you're reading a post by someone reporting from Canada, they're talking about Imperial Gallons, which are bigger than the US kind by 20%.

I consistently get 4.9 liters per 100 km which is 48 miles per USG or 57.6 miles per Imperial Gallon.

Gas mileage

:brow--I just returned from the Roadrunner Rally in Heber AZ, I averaged 51mpg using regular gas -- it was kinda windy, mostly crosswinds of course so there was no tailwind advantage. My 1998 R1100RT has 153,535 miles on it and ran awesome - I was riding solo with all my camping gear ( approx 75 lbs)

I'm amazed by the reports of high 40s and low 50s mile per gallon reports from some of the members.

I just took my 99 RT to Matt in Long Beach to replace the head gaskets, as one was seeping, and he noted the heads and throttle bodies were very carboned up.

He suggested I ride with more rpm than I have been. These motors love rpms says Matt.

Am I lugging this thing by shifting at 4000? I have never heard it ping or feel luggy.
It seems to like cruising and shifting at 3500.

My surge issue is minimal if at all.

Still puzzled by my consistent 38 mpg around town. On the road, I get 44mpg on long drives across country on interstates at 80.

Thanks for the comments.

Brad

Back