• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas mileage survey

While not a RT but a "C" I dropped the octane down to 87 and my mileage increased.
I have a mixed commute of 110 rt daily. Half is 35-50 and the remainder 70+MPH.
I get on avg. 42-45... My best was 66 mpg when I kept it under 60.
Yes, it's a cruiser not an RT.

I'm chiming in because octane can and will have an effect.
I've been running 87 for four years now w/ no ill effect.

Try it.
Do about three tanks for the system to adjust.

Wow, interesting. A tag under the seat suggests octane of 95. That must be European numbers cause we don't have that here unless you buy avgas. So at Shell I buy 91, or super, thinking thats what I need. Midgrade is 89 and low is 87.

I did change my plugs to Autolite. Lots of folks state the bike runs smoother with them. Any chance Autolites give poor fuel econ? The bike sounds and runs great. I can't imagine spark plugs can make that much difference? The Bosch plugs are twin tip, Autolites single.

I'll try the 87 for a few tanks and 89 for a few. 91 is too expensive anyway.:scratch

my 1997 R1100RT gets 40 MPG with 65 mph as a regular speed on the open road
now, my question is ( dont throw stones ! ) what brand of gas are you using and what octane? a BMW dealer in N Carolina told me to run mid-grade normally and run super when loaded down and/or in the mountains comments?

Shell 91 sometimes Chevron 91. I'll try 89 see if there is difference.

I try to use Shell premium whenever there's a Shell station available. Here in Canada, they claim that they have 0% ethanol in the V Power gas. :ca

Speaking of gas mileage...
How do the bars on the fuel gauge correlate with the amount of fuel left?
At how many bars does one start thinking about refueling? 1996 R1100rt.
How do you know when you are on reserve? ( 270km showing 2 bars)
Thanks

Thanks

I can go 112 Kms after the gauge runs out and 90 Kms after the low gas light comes on.
400 Kms and I am dry

Last edited:
Thanks

Gauges lose accuracy as the level drops.
After a few rides you can calculate your mileage.

Then just do the math.
Lets say:
You get 45 mpg and you just traveled 150 miles.
Therefore you used 3.33 gallons out of what ever you just put in... say 4.8.
So you have 1.47 gallons or 66 miles left.

My odometer is my gas gauge. :D

Not an Rt but a R1100R. Last weekend went on a 1000 mile trip. Bike was loaded, solo, and I had replaced the stock windshield with large aftermarket windshield that plows a lot of wind. Overall average driving speed was 65 mph ( GPS ) for the trip. I averaged 47-48 mpg on the Cdn gallon. I quess that would be low 40's on the US gallon.

Thanks guys,
I'll track it over the summer and get a good idea of the consumption. I never rely on only one instrument if I can help it.
On a good note I have no surging at all. It is a stock 96 r1100rt with 81,000 km.
( 50,000 miles).

40-45

2000 RT with a Cee Bailey +4 extra wide windshield that I usually have in the full upright position. Givi trunk.

That's commute miles on the interstate. Tire pressure makes a huge difference in gas mileage on a car, I'd imagine that it would make a similar difference on a bike.

R1200RT Mileage

I have an all stock 2006 RT and have never really got less than 50 and much of the time it is 54-55. However in FL this winter (sea level) it was around 47 with a good bit of traffic thrown in. Every other year we are in AZ (3,000 to 7000' elevation) for the winter and usually get 53 - 55 mostly 2 up with the stock windshield up. Getting about the same in NH now. 30,000 on the clock and I drive mostly near the speed limit and seldom over 70.

Bill Zeller

I have an all stock 2006 RT and have never really got less than 50 and much of the time it is 54-55. However in FL this winter (sea level) it was around 47 with a good bit of traffic thrown in. Every other year we are in AZ (3,000 to 7000' elevation) for the winter and usually get 53 - 55 mostly 2 up with the stock windshield up. Getting about the same in NH now. 30,000 on the clock and I drive mostly near the speed limit and seldom over 70.

Bill Zeller

Those are great numbers. How much do you think the different blend of gasolines make on fuel economy? How about the gas from state to state?

Also, what RPM range are you usually shifting in? Compare accelerating onto an interstate or away from a red light with a speed llimit of 45 and another light another mile down the road.

Thanks

R1200RT mileage

I usually shift around 3500 except the occasional times I use an interstate when it is more around 4000. It seems that the elevation makes the most difference and I have no idea why. I always use the premium grade fuel which is often 93 octane and at higher elevations more like 91. I'm not an aggressive driver but don't baby it and do try to get good mileage.

Bill Zeller

I usually shift around 3500 except the occasional times I use an interstate when it is more around 4000.........but don't baby it.

Bill Zeller
:scratch

I'm sorry Bill, but those two statements are mutually exclusive. Half the definition of "baby it" is exactly what you say you do- upshifting at 3500-4000. That also leads me to believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that your "cruising speed" rpm is around 2500-3000, yes? If so, that is the other half of the definition.

These motors love to rev, and it is good for them to do so.

I usually shift around 3500 except the occasional times I use an interstate when it is more around 4000. It seems that the elevation makes the most difference and I have no idea why. I always use the premium grade fuel which is often 93 octane and at higher elevations more like 91. I'm not an aggressive driver but don't baby it and do try to get good mileage.

Bill Zeller

Interesting.

OK. That brings up another request. Can I get people to weigh in on what RPMs they shift when on surface streets and accelerating onto the interstate?

I shift around the 4000 range when accelerating away from a red light. If I can cruise at 3500 rpm, the bike sounds and feels ok. Not straining or lugging. Feels "about right". Onto the interstate, I take it to 5000 or 5500 and shift if the lanes are clear ahead and I want to get to the number one lane, the fast lane or car pool lane.

Thanks, Brad

2000 1100Rt

If moving above 65 mph, the tank gives me about 44-45 mph. At less than that for average speed, it's about 49 mph. Windscreen placement seems to make little difference. This is with loaded side panniers, no top case.

Update-ran to Quincy Ill. on back country roads all the way and then back home on highway averaging 80mph...45mpg:dance.And I still have not done the major tune-up,cannot wait to see what she gets when I do the 12000.:brad

Fuel Mileage/Shifting

My cruising RPM is always over 3000 but for the occasional long downhill with rough roads or low speed limits. 3500 is more like it especially with my wife on board which is most of the time.

For those of you who don't live in the northeast (Maine, NH and VT) where our roads are often filled with frost heaves, (those are bumps not some kind of ice cream) you can't understand the need to drive in the 40 to 50 MPH range. We are fortunate to be retired and do a lot of riding in the Smokies, Arizona etc. where the roads are all smooth and a delight to ride. The comparison is incredible and we are always happy to go "south" for the winter.:thumb

So... I filled the tank with 91 octane gas( Sunoco in Ontario canada) put the full size saddle bags and top box on, took a friend along for the ride and went till the fuel gauge bars were gone and the low fuel light came on.
30% stop and go, 60% long country road, 10% interstate, windscreen slightly up.
the odometer read 396 km when the light came on, I filled the tank to the same spot as before the ride with 19.97 litres. This works out to 5.0 l/100 km which is 46.96 mpg,us gallons or 56.38 mpg imperial. that means that with 26 litres available total, reserve is 6 litres after the light goes on and you could do a total distance of 517 km on a tank. not so bad..:thumb

My '06 1150GS gets 44MPG and more in the mountains. I get better MPG's on non ethanol gas, but so does everyone I know.
The bike runs well on 87 or 89 octane, 91 and above is a waste of $$ IMHO. YMMV

Back