• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas mileage survey

Mileage/02 Sensor?

I have an 04 RT with 98,000 miles on it. For the last three years, mileage about the same as what I just saw posted: 42 to 45, pending load. Added a Uni-go trailer a couple of years ago, gets about 38 if I have a full load.

Now, the mileage is staying about 36 to 38, without a load. I am suspecting the 02 sensor is due? I can smell some gas when it starts up, smells rich. I am also relating this to a 95R I had previously. It was running rich, low mileage in the upper 30's. Replaced 02 sensor, back to 42 to 47 range, pending load/ride.

I am about to roll it to 100K, at that time, I'll do some TLC maintenance to it.

Otherwise, this has been pretty much a trouble free bike.

Scotchale
04 RT
05 CS
98 Funduro
10 F 650

On my 2009 RT I have tracked my mileage for every tank fill and logged the results in a spreadsheet. After just passing 30,000 km on the bike my average mileage has been 4.1 litres per 100km. According to this calculator site: http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/fuel_economy.php that equates to just over 57 mpg (US gallon). This is all my riding from a daily commute on freeway and surface streets to some fairly long trips in the last few years. Frankly I was surprised at the result since I do not ride with mileage in mind and do vary my speed a lot and like to accelerate briskly and rarely use cruise control on long stretches.

My 2002 R1150RTP averages between 34 and 38 mpg on each tank. If I'm only doing the commute, it's closer to 34 mpg. If I'm out on a distance ride, then it's closer to 38 mpg.

No canister, no CCP, no Techclusion. I have the stock exhaust.

I get crappy mileage because I'm not aerodynamic with a huge windscreen to push through the air and lights and crash bars hanging out in the slip stream.

This is kinda worthless without speed, elevation, wind, load carrying, and other conditions. ;)

From this past Friday after work to 1 AM Sunday (basically 1.5 days) I did about 1250 miles going over numerous passes (some up over 5K ft.), rolling hills along the Columbia River, some freeway, mostly 2 lane. Temps were from 40 - 85, I had 1 saddle bag full, trunk full and a lightweight bag on the seat. Aeroflo windshield, stock 99 RT with (now 97K) no C Canister. My typical speed was 75 with bursts up to..., sometimes I had side winds but rarely a headwind.

Mileage on different fill ups 41.x, 42.x, 45.x, 46.x, 44.x I pushed about 190-220 miles per tank and haven't filled up this last time but that's a pretty representative hwy mileage figure for me.

City driving can be from 35-42 with the majority in the 38-39 range.

Hope this helps, back to lurk mode .:lurk

buzzfeldspar

I put about 300 miles on yesterday on my '96 R1100RT, mostly on 2 lane roads in SW Minnesota. I got 51.5 mpg. That's higher than normal, I usually get 43-46. I guess it was low winds, and mostly 60-65 mph. and few stops.

This is kinda worthless without speed, elevation, wind, load carrying, and other conditions. ;)

From this past Friday after work to 1 AM Sunday (basically 1.5 days) I did about 1250 miles going over numerous passes (some up over 5K ft.), rolling hills along the Columbia River, some freeway, mostly 2 lane. Temps were from 40 - 85, I had 1 saddle bag full, trunk full and a lightweight bag on the seat. Aeroflo windshield, stock 99 RT with (now 97K) no C Canister. My typical speed was 75 with bursts up to..., sometimes I had side winds but rarely a headwind.

Mileage on different fill ups 41.x, 42.x, 45.x, 46.x, 44.x I pushed about 190-220 miles per tank and haven't filled up this last time but that's a pretty representative hwy mileage figure for me.

City driving can be from 35-42 with the majority in the 38-39 range.

Hope this helps, back to lurk mode .:lurk

Where were you riding? We went riding over the Cascades, around the Columbia Plateau, and back this past weekend. We might have passed each other :)

Wow. Great response from everyone. Thank you.

It looks like the majority of folks are getting 40+ mpg from their rides. A couple of us must have some issue that causes lower fuel economy.

Thanks for all the comments!

2002 RT. Normally I get 42-44 mpg in all conditions. High of 48 on my second tank of gas since buying the bike going 85 mph though Georgia. I think I may have miscalculated that one. My low was last Tuesday, 38 mpg from Madison to Milwaukee, temp 42 F and rain. Between the water and the cold, the only time my temp guage got above 2-3 bars was when I got stuck in Milwaukee gridlock. Never had this happen before, not even with temps in the teens.

OK The results are in!

r1100/1150rt,rs riders that have weighed in;

MPG 35 14%

38-42 21%

42-45 36%

45-50 18%

57 1%

I am in the 14% group with mid to upper 30. I would rather be in the 36% group with 42-45.

Wheel bearings? My riding style is conservative around town, 75-80 on freeway.

:scratch

I am in the 14% group with mid to upper 30. I would rather be in the 36% group with 42-45.

Wheel bearings? My riding style is conservative around town, 75-80 on freeway.

:scratch

Do you generally make a lot of short trips, or do you generally go more than 20 miles when you fire it up?

Do you tend to leave it on the choke for a long time?

Have you had your air cleaner replaced at all recently? Did you change the CCP or run the system in "open loop" mode?

On Sunday I travelled 375 miles on my '98 R1100RT with oversized touring lids sticking out into the wind-stream, with all but the final 75 miles at interstate speeds of 70 - 75+ mph and averaged 41.63 Am mpg.

Yesterday I went for a 60 mile ride on back roads on my K which has a computer with one function that monitors consumption. I made a concentrated effort to obtaining the best fuel mileage possible, making frequent references to my computer's gas assessment. It is amazing how a more deliberate and slow but steady throttle input really reduces fuel consumption. Of course, it is not as much fun, and really not as safely doable on busier highways. Frequent acceleration from stops really is a major gas eater as compared to cruising at a constant highway speed.

Do you generally make a lot of short trips, or do you generally go more than 20 miles when you fire it up?

Have you had your air cleaner replaced at all recently? Did you change the CCP or run the system in "open loop" mode?

Air filter was changed about 9k miles ago. All Arizona driving so maybe dusty/dirty. I'll check/replace that. My trips are generally 25 mile commutes with lots of start and stop on city streets. That will eat gas mileage. My ride home from AZ. was 75mph on freeway for 500 miles or so. There I got 44mpg.

How about the carbon issue in the throttle bodies? Is that something that should be addressed regularly? Or does a good run down the freeway at 75 clean it out?

Thanks for all input.

:D

No, do not leave the choke on for more than a mile or so.
Open loop? Not sure what that is.
CCP as far as I know has not been addressed.

Bike runs very smooth with minimal "surging" if any at all.

gas milage

my 1997 R1100RT gets 40 MPG with 65 mph as a regular speed on the open road
now, my question is ( dont throw stones ! ) what brand of gas are you using and what octane? a BMW dealer in N Carolina told me to run mid-grade normally and run super when loaded down and/or in the mountains comments?

Follow the recommendation in the book. Most of the BMW twins want premium, but my R1150RS said that mid grade was ok.

In tall mountains like the Rockies, you find that all the grades are down a couple points, but I have never had a problem with this.

Also, you should know that our octane numbers here are about 5 points lower for the same octane rating as the ones in Europe (read, Germany). That's because we see the average of the "Research" and "Motor" testing methods -- and that's why you see "R + M / 2" stickers on the pumps -- while Europe reports just the Research number. BMW sometimes calls the number the AKI, anti-knock index, but it's the same thing.

I recently pulled my CCP and removed the cannister and associated tubing to address the surge, and I am observing zero change in mileage. I also killed the surge :clap

While not a RT but a "C" I dropped the octane down to 87 and my mileage increased.
I have a mixed commute of 110 rt daily. Half is 35-50 and the remainder 70+MPH.
I get on avg. 42-45... My best was 66 mpg when I kept it under 60.
Yes, it's a cruiser not an RT.

I'm chiming in because octane can and will have an effect.
I've been running 87 for four years now w/ no ill effect.

Try it.
Do about three tanks for the system to adjust.

Back