• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Beer Tent

Volunteer Schedule

Staffing -- Beer Garden normal staffing requirements are:

Ice Box (2)
Beer Garden Cash Box (2)
Microbrew Bar (2)
Soft Drink/Water Server (1)
Canned Beer Products Server (4-6)
Stockers (2 with good backs)
Workers to provide breaks (1-2 per four hour shift) The Beer Garden Team is looking for any Clubs that would like to help run a four hour shift. The Internet BMW Club will be working Thursday 4-8 PM, BMW Riders of Mississippi and The Saddle Tramps will be working Friday 4-8 PM. The BMWRM &The Saddle Tramps every year dress up, sing and dance while "beerslinging". They are a must see! After The Saddle Tramps, on the Friday, 8 PM to 1 AM closing shift will be the BMWMOA Board Of Directors and The Dinky Dozen.They are also a must see! The BMW Club of Port Washington always works the Beer Garden during the awards program on Saturday 4-8 PM shift. Many of the Clubs wear their club shirts and put up their Club Flags. Some Clubs even have their Club Meeting before their shift. So if you are a member of a local or national (Air, Oil, 650, K) Club. Let Dan Carnevale or Santa know what shift you would like to work. You Can check the schedule and past National Rally photos at http://www.dcarnevale.com/beergarden/

Last edited:
mmmmm

Kbasa: You shouldn't tempt us like that. Now I have to go break out some of my stash.

Fish: my strap on my case broke so the lid flops all the way open. Too cheap to spend the $30some for the new strap. I'll just serve out of my collapsible cooler. Sierra is most excellent btw.

The rest of ya'll.... this is my first national. I am getting really stoked. Can't wait.

The beer garden is a very regulated area. The laws are the same for our Beer Garden as the law is for any tavern or any establishment where alcohol is served. The BG does not sell or serve hard alcohol. It is illegal for a patron to bring alcohol into a licensed establishment. Beer Garden closing time is 1 AM. The minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) everywhere in the USA is 21 . (If you are under 30, and don't have gray hair & bifocals, you may get your ID checked). Valid ID in most States (including West Virginia): Any valid State Driver's License with photo
Any valid State-Issued ID Card with photo
U.S. Military Identification
U.S. Passport
U.S. Government Immigration Card with photo
Visa with photo and date of birth
It is illegal in every state in the United States to serve someone who is intoxicated. It is illegal for a bartender to be working while intoxicated. It is illegal in many states for a bartender to be drinking while bartending. Limit for Driving While Intoxicated:
West Virginia BAC Limits .10; .02 for minors
The law does not differentiate between DUI and DWI.
Many States have mandatory responsible drinking classes that myself and my co-chairs have attended. We apply for a temporary license permit through Alcohol Beverage Control, and we must abide by the ABC rules to keep that permit. Penalties for violating liquor laws can include suspension or revocation of licenses. This years alcohol rules are the same rules as most years past.

menloe said:
This being my first national rally, can you BYOB into the beer tent? ...........
Cuss we only have a beer license, Ya can't legally have a large bottle of hard booze in plain sight in the (any local or national) beer garden especially if the Chief of Police, the City Mayor, & a uniformed policeman are standing there. I betcha didn't know our number one indivudal product sold in the BG is not always Bud, Bud Light, or micro brew , but depending on the rally weather is many times one liter bottles of WATER.

Beer Team said:
The beer garden is a very regulated area. The laws are the same for our Beer Garden as the law is for any tavern or any establishment where alcohol is served. The BG does not sell or serve hard alcohol. It is illegal for a patron to bring alcohol into a licensed establishment.

This is important to understand.

All bourbon tasting will need to take place outside the Beer Garden and away from the area regulated by their permit.

The Beer Garden is not only one of the social hubs of the rally for beer drinkers and non partakers, it keeps people from wandering off site to go find more beer when they really shouldn't be anywhere but their tent.

Thanks, Santa for getting this together! :clap

Dave

In the many years that I have been doing the beer garden, and with all the people down there, we might only have one person drunk per year, and it was the same guy for about 3 years in a row. I think he was that way when he got there. I just call security to help him (hopefully) find his tent. I figure that person has now figured it is easier to stay home and get drunk, than it would be to go across country to get drunk in the Beer Garden. I know many people who do not drink beer, have a back pocket flask, don't worry, no one will frisk you. We normally have a uniformed officer or two on duty during the evening hours at the Beer Garden, but he is usually just there for emergency situations. The uniformed officer is usually watching the bands, bike riders, & checking for underage kids trying to get alcohol.

Last edited:
Beer Team said:
The uniformed officer is usually watching the bands, bike riders, & checking for underage kids.
Ok, that brings up a question. I'll be two up with my nearly 6 ft. tall teen age son. Will he be allowed to accompany me in the beer tent/garden, if he isn't drinking booze?:1drink

Re: Re: Beer Tent

Hacksaw said:
Ok, that brings up a question. I'll be two up with my nearly 6 ft. tall teen age son. Will he be allowed to accompany me in the beer tent/garden, if he isn't drinking booze?:1drink
No problem, he must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Minors are not allowed to consume alcohol in the presence of their parents or legal guardian under any circumstances, either on or off a licensed West Virginia premise.

Beer Team said:
Cuss we only have a beer license, Ya can't legally have a large bottle of hard booze in plain sight in the (any local or national) beer garden especially if the Chief of Police, the City Mayor, & a uniformed policeman are standing there. I betcha didn't know our number one indivudal product sold in the BG is not always Bud, Bud Light, or micro brew , but depending on the rally weather is many times one liter bottles of WATER.

I was really referring to beer, not liquor, but I think your answer and some of the other posts make it clear: can't bring outside beer into the beer tent.

Not that this will be a problem :drink

See you in a week and a half.

At a buck for a can of cold beer and two bucks for a microbrew, we don't have many carry-ins. The Beer Garden profits pays for BG product, tent/building and entertainment. I think this years entertainment is going to be great. The acoustics again will be great being inside of a tent instead of a metal building.
I did a "Goggle search" of "Jim Weider" of the Rock & Roll group called "The Band". Jim is the Saturday night entertainment in the Beer Tent

Jim Weider, a master of classic telecaster guitar. He is among a select group of musicians with an endorsement from Fender Guitars. Jim Weider is noted for being lead guitarist (replacing Robbie Robertson) in Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame inductees, The Band,(1985-2000).

I also did a search of Johnny Staats, who is Friday nights entertainment. Johnny Staats has appeared on CBS Evening News, NBC's Today Show, CNN, People Magazine, Country Music Magazine, & has been on the Grand Ole Opry Stage five times. He is also a Gibson Musical Instrument signature artist. Both Jim Weider and Johnny Staats are National acts. Both of these guys are noted as exceptional songwriters & vocalist.

Thursday's entertainment "The Carpenter Ants" search, also brought interesting results.

Last edited:
I picked excellent music to compliment the excellent beverage choices our Beer Team has made for this year.

Once again fulfilling my promise of "no bad garage bands playing Proud Mary off key". Trust me when I say you won't want to miss a note of any night's show.

Take the free shuttle bus, details in your Rally program, and you can dance, drink and not have to ride!

See you there.

I was at the Ambassador Dinner when the storm hit and the beer tent blow down. Having the beer tent blow down was an inconvenience. Having people getting hurt was a tragedy. Many of us at the Ambassador Dinner left, because we suddenly lost our appetite, and felt we had to be at the Rally to help in any way needed. Unless we had a close death in our family, it was the most dramatic happening in our life since WTC. Having this happen along with the heat, humidity, and rain, was the monkey wrench in the whole rally machine. I know that Michael (who also Chaired Rhinebeck National Rally) and the other organizers were busy taking care of business of storm problems. If they were not taking care of this business, they could of taken care of some of the minor inconveniences that were happening. I don't know Michael very well, but I do know that the National Rally Chairman pretty much gives one year of their life to put this show on. If the weather would of been pleasant, the rally would of been a whole different story.

Michael Friedle said:
I picked excellent music to compliment the excellent beverage choices our Beer Team has made for this year.

Yes you did. I didn't pay much attention to Thursday night's band since the gym was just too loud and reverby (not your fault - at least the beer was flowing after that disaster), but Friday and Saturday featured excellent entertainment.

And the Blackhook was a great departure from the normal Piswah that you get.

Thanks.

Re: Re: Beer Tent

menloe said:
Yes you did. I didn't pay much attention to Thursday night's band since the gym was just too loud and reverby (not your fault - at least the beer was flowing after that disaster), but Friday and Saturday featured excellent entertainment.

And the Blackhook was a great departure from the normal Piswah that you get.

Thanks.
<<>>

Menloe,

Does your comment "...And the Blackhook was a great departure from the normal Piswah that you get" referring to off-the-shelf beer from your local petro stop? I'm glad you liked Blackhook Porter. The Beer Garden sold 12 kegs each of Red Hook's Blackhook Porter, Red Hook's ESB, and Pete's Wicked Ale. The Fosters and Amstel also sold well. The BG sold Heineken in cans, along with domestic beer.

I hope your post didn't mean that the other beers we have served are "normal Piswah"? You have to remember beer is much like ice cream ÔÇö some folks like dark chocolate, some vanilla or strawberry, and others like Neapolitan. Some folks like soft serve, hard serve, swirl, or dipped. Would it be fair for you to like French Roast coffee and referr to someone's Folgers with cream & sugar as "Piswah"?

The same theory goes for different models of motorcycles.

Let's review some of the brews we featured at past rallies.

Trenton (2002):
-Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (one of Canada oldest and best brews)
-Stella Artois (Belgium style brew)
-Labatt Blue
-Note: A porter would of fit well with that selection, but it was not available from the beer distributor.

Redmond (2001):
-Redmond's Cascade Lakes Brewery's Golden Ale, IPA, and Porter.

Midland (2000):
-Bell's Kalamazoo Brewing Company Oberon Ale, Amber Ale, and Porter.

Rhinebeck (1999):
-Dutchess Brewery's Amber Ale, Pale Ale, and Porter.

Missoula (1998):
-Bayern Brewing Company Amber, Hefeweizen, and Pilsner.

Fredricksburg (1997):
-Saint Arnold Brewery Amber Ale, Brown Ale, and Weizen Kristal

Morganton: (1996):
-Red Oaks Brewery's Amber Ale and Dark Lager

Durango (1995):
-Durango's Carver Brewery's Dark Lager and Pale Ale.

Oshkosh (1993):
-The specialty beer was Chief Oshkosh and Leinenkugel.

Also available at these events:
-Major Breweries (Bud, Miller, and Coors).
-Regional Breweries (Lone Star, Shiner Bock, Rainer, Olympia, Genesse, and Rolling Rock)

The Beer Team works with the International Rally Chair, the local BMW riders, beer judges, internet research, and sometimes, personal testing to bring you the best ice cream possible. http://www.dcarnevale.com/beergarden/

Last edited:
Rally Mugs

Perhaps in the future the Rally Mugs could be as large as the cups that you pour the fine beverages in to. My best guess is the mugs were 2oz. smaller than the cups. I hated to waste all those plastic cups. We put enough garbage in landfils allready.
Great beers. Thanks a bunch for your efforts.

Re: Rally Mugs

beemerron said:
Perhaps in the future the Rally Mugs could be as large as the cups that you pour the fine beverages in to. My best guess is the mugs were 2oz. smaller than the cups. I hated to waste all those plastic cups. We put enough garbage in landfils allready.
Great beers. Thanks a bunch for your efforts.
Ron, you have a keen eye. The Bud Man had 18 ounce cups on the truck for our event. He informed me to tell the bartenders not to fill the cup to the rim, then, it would be the same size as the 16 oz. Rally Mug. Did the bartender fill your plastic cup to the Rim? Normally, the plastic cups are the same size as the Rally Mugs that we pour the fine beverages in to. When we needed more cups on Saturday, we went to 16 oz solo cups. The International Rally Mugs are always 16 ounce mugs, which is a couple ounces larger than most local rally Rally Mugs. http://www.dcarnevale.com/beergarden/

Last edited:
Dang Kbasa ,you really had me with that close up of the glass of boibon,I hate the stuff,tastes like poifume.I thought for a second that you were an afficionado of single malt scotch.
Still,there may very well be a bourbon i could drink,maybe.If not,i would throw in with Joe 111 and drink all the beer,which has always also been good at the 4 rallies I have attended.
Don't drink the whole bottle,save a drop for Spokane,maybe we will meet and you could enlighten me.;)

Back