• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I got a smart phone

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
I got a new smart phone yesterday (HTC Hero) ...and it's smarter than me!

I used to be able to keep up with technology. Now I think I need to hire a fourth grader.

Does it talk for you while driving ? :dunno

There maybe an app that will take your orders.

Last edited:
I have a smart phone at home...when someone wants to talk to me, it rings...pretty smart.

I am not sure why they call them smart phones when they make us dumber.

Don't believe me, recite 10 phone numbers of people you know..............bet you could do it before even moderately intelligent phones were around:D

Don't believe me, recite 10 phone numbers of people you know..............bet you could do it before even moderately intelligent phones were around:D

this is of course assuming you Know 10 people.. (or at least 10 that you'd actually Want to talk to!) :lol

RM

I got a new smart phone yesterday (HTC Hero) ...and it's smarter than me!

I used to be able to keep up with technology. Now I think I need to hire a fourth grader.

:thumb Nice!

I really like my HTC phone - excellent build quality. That, and all the apps available for Android are also pretty cool. I'm not sure how I would function without all of that stuff. :ha

While I have a lot of number programmed into my phone, for some reason I tend to manually dial the numbers, still. Seems odd, but I guess it could come in handy if my phone breaks and I'm stranded somewhere.

About 25-30 years ago, I noticed when I was using speed dial in my phones, I forgot peoples numbers. So, I decided not to use them.

From wine ratings and price checks to ballgame scores in the middle of church/meeting/movie, etc to streaming Pandora though the Aux input of my sound system on the Wing.......I love my iPhone. Mine even has the complete PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) compete with pill pictures, and several reference texts in it....not to mention a complete iPod, weather radar, and navigation with traffic updates. Simply amazing. How did I ever live without it?:scratch

I got the free phone with my plan seven years ago. A year ago, it fell off my dash and into my Big Gulp from 7-11.

I got the newest incarnation of the free one. I can now take pictures. That's all I wanted in addition to calling/texting. I am content.

From wine ratings and price checks to ballgame scores in the middle of church/meeting/movie, etc to streaming Pandora though the Aux input of my sound system on the Wing.......I love my iPhone. Mine even has the complete PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) compete with pill pictures, and several reference texts in it....not to mention a complete iPod, weather radar, and navigation with traffic updates. Simply amazing. How did I ever live without it?:scratch

Now I know who to email when I find a mystery pill that I can't identify. :ha

Hey all; What the heck is a smart phone?!! Everyone tells me that we need a cell phone, but I haven't found out WHY!! If someone wants to reach me, they call my home "land line." If I want to talk to them, I will return their call. What more do you REALLY need? Sports scores, stock quotes, weather, I can get off the net, or even a newspaper. As far as keeping in touch while on the road, if I'm on the road, I probably DON'T want to "be in touch" with every body... How much "labor saving" technology do we REALLY need? I have to wonder... Just my rant for the day, thanks for letting me vent. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

I have proudly used my Motorola StarTAC phone since 1996.

And I'm betting there are two types of people who ask you about it - the ones who know what it is and a surprised by how long you have had it and the rest who look at it and ask where you got the cool phone from.

And I'm betting there are two types of people who ask you about it - the ones who know what it is and a surprised by how long you have had it and the rest who look at it and ask where you got the cool phone from.

I worry about the battery availablity in the long run. Currently I turn the phone on when I make a call then turn it off. The only other time its on is if someone is going to call me during a specified time frame. If you don't get me oh well call the house and I will get your number off the caller ID because I don't even have a message machine. :laugh

If cell phones are a tool for making money then they have a usage if for anything less they are expensive. Its like owning a horse. :laugh

Does it talk for you while driving ? :dunno

There maybe an app that will take your orders.

That's called voice mail. Most of my customers are trained to leave orders on voice mail and expect a text to confirm it's in.

I've gotten the hang of making and receiving calls. I can even find my call history in three tries or less. I was very proud of myself when I set up the blue tooth without assistance.

Apps? I'm clueless! I hear there is one that will hold all your shopping discount cards. Josh, do you make house calls? I need visual training.

If cell phones are a tool for making money then they have a usage if for anything less they are expensive. Its like owning a horse. :laugh

I can't tell you how much time (i.e money) ePocrates saves me each day. I can look up a drug in 10 seconds, that it used to take me 10 minutes of thumbing through that huge book to do. It saves me hours each day. The pill pictures alone are priceless when the patient says.....I take this blue one twice a day:dunno:scratch. I love mine.....but I rarely use it for talking on the phone, I hate talking on the phone.

Admittedly, I am a gadgetophile, but I love my iPhone. It has most of my life contained in its memory, and if it dies, there is a backup on my PC. :D

Phone calls? What are phone calls? Why communicate by voice when you have text messaging? :scratch

And, if all modern technology and electronics suddenly goes belly up, I still have a number of knives and firearms, plus the knowledge to use them effectively...:thumb

And, in case you couldn't tell, there is a fair amount of sarcasm in the above statements.

I got the free phone with my plan seven years ago. A year ago, it fell off my dash and into my Big Gulp from 7-11.

I got the newest incarnation of the free one. I can now take pictures. That's all I wanted in addition to calling/texting. I am content.

you drink big gulps, gross.:D

don't go smart, stay with the dumb phone, they are too addicting and time wasting and you become one of those annoying always playing with their phone people.

I just got the HTC Incredible a little less than 2 weeks ago... I am STILL learning and customizing it. Phones these days can do a TON of things!!! Like route me to Redmond, track my reservations, even keep a trip log. Games, movies, music, to do lists, sync to home computer, FTP to work, calendaring, unit conversions, web browsing, wow...

Back