• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dealer in the Memphis Area?

mypetersahn

MyPetersahn
Anyone have a recommendation for a dealer in the Memphis area? I've been here about two months and my bike will be here in a couple of weeks from my previous residence in VA.

I visited the dealer in Memphis this past Saturday and was totally unimpressed and dismayed. I have been to Bloodworth's in Nashville and they seem pretty good, but have not researched further. . . Not afraid to ride a ways to reach a quality BMW service provider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JEP

I'm not real familiar with Memphis, but 3 hours north is a very, very good dealer. Gateway BMW. They love to ride, are very helpful, shop folks are super and Honz is a good guy to work with. Too many shops these days are owned and run by folks that rarely ride.

I'd worked with the guys at Grassroots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO via phone and their service guy (can't recall his name) helped me when I was in a jam. A friend recommended I call them. They are about 1.5-2 hours north of you. They were so helpful to a guy they didn't know and was 5 states away I would give them a try just because.

Good luck in your search.

Wow you guys ride faster than I do

285 miles from Memphis to St. Louis in three hours?

1.5 to 2 hours to Cape Girardeau, 173 miles.

My RT is definitely not keeping up!

:)

By the way Grassroots helped me out of a jam before and I hear very good things about Gateway also.

Thanks guys, I do remember hearing good things about Grass Roots, I looked at their site and was impressed.

I guess I was spoiled in Northern VA having Morton's right down the street and Bob's not too far either.

JEP

Dealer in Memphis Area

If you're looking for mechanics to work on your BMW bike, check with the guys at Memphis Motor Werks. They're a high-end auto shop, specializing in BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo and VW cars.

In addition, the owners are BMW motorcycle enthusiasts, and also work on bikes.....they just don't advertise much. They know their "German" engineering, and did an excellent job on my ABS brake system recently. You can find them on Macon Road, out on the east side of Memphis.

As a side note, it was sure interesting to walk through an auto repair shop that was so clean that you could practically "eat off the floor"!!

If you're looking for a BMW m/c dealer, I agree that the BMW dealership in Memphis is less than impressive. I stopped in one day a year ago to check out a BMW bike and think they only had 4 on the showroom floor......surrounded by a sea of dirt bikes. Sort of indicates where they make their money. I'm guessing Memphis isn't much of a BMW market, but could be mistaken.

Good luck,
piperjim

If you're looking for mechanics to work on your BMW bike, check with the guys at Memphis Motor Werks. They're a high-end auto shop, specializing in BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo and VW cars.

In addition, the owners are BMW motorcycle enthusiasts, and also work on bikes.....they just don't advertise much. They know their "German" engineering, and did an excellent job on my ABS brake system recently. You can find them on Macon Road, out on the east side of Memphis.

As a side note, it was sure interesting to walk through an auto repair shop that was so clean that you could practically "eat off the floor"!!

If you're looking for a BMW m/c dealer, I agree that the BMW dealership in Memphis is less than impressive. I stopped in one day a year ago to check out a BMW bike and think they only had 4 on the showroom floor......surrounded by a sea of dirt bikes. Sort of indicates where they make their money. I'm guessing Memphis isn't much of a BMW market, but could be mistaken.

Good luck,
piperjim

My sentiments exactly on the dealership--HUGE BMW sign on the building, maybe four bikes--as you said, surrounded by dirtbikes and 4 wheelers. There was a gentlemen there the day I stopped by that appeared to be interested in a new RT. A sales rep was telling him about how the 2010 was "pretty much identical" to the '09. I'm sure his factory rep would disagree given the amount of advertising they have put out on the powerplant upgrades. . . sigh.

I am in Little Rock often and I understand their dealership closed recently as well. Out of curiousity, I hit the HD store, Bumpus. Wow, what a dealership and nice folks as well. The Triumph store in town has a pretty building and nice enough people, but they didn't seem to have much "real" riding gear--more for show. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Sorry, I'm venting/frustrated.

Memphis BMW dealer

I understand the shops' appearance but I'd talk to the people and then see how they preform your work.
I'm a satisfied customer.
Robert

Herb and Reno and staff at Grassroots are first class folks.

Good dealership!

What's a little 3 hour ride anyway. :)

I agree Herb & Reno are great great people and have a great dealership, but 3 hrs up and 3 hrs back and service time before long you've missed a whole day of work, etc. Also, there is the age old basic condonrum that if you don't support your local dealer before long you won't have to.

I agree Herb & Reno are great great people and have a great dealership, but 3 hrs up and 3 hrs back and service time before long you've missed a whole day of work, etc. Also, there is the age old basic condonrum that if you don't support your local dealer before long you won't have to.

I understand. But my "local" dealer is 400 miles away and my favorite dealer is 1000 miles away. The nearest dealership for any brand of motorcycle is further from my house than Memphis to Cape Giradeau.

Yeah, I know that's my problem, but I do live here by choice, and rather like it.

But a 3 hour ride just doesn't seem that far to me.

Paul,
I never said 3 hrs is far. But the question is what does your boss say? Both of them, work and home. A day off work or a Saturday off honey do's? Even if you have the spare time it maybe that you are inadvertently contributing to the demise of another dealer.

Know zero about Memphis dealership and mechanics but if all you're talking about is routine service- that's pretty basic stuff and needs neither a big parts inventory nor, frankly, very much skill. That's how many of us get by with doing our own;)

Somewhere there may be easier bikes to maintain still being made but I think they're mostly single cylinder 2 strokes. Riding 6 hrs for an oil change and valve (mostly non) adjustment hardly seems justifiable.

OTOH, if its something that requires splltting cases, opening up a tranny or similar you might want to check more carefully. About 1/3 of "pro" jobs I look at show at least some sign of carelessness that is to some extent inevitable given the way mechanics are typically paid (and rushed during the busy season).

Memphis is too large an area NOT to have folks who are competent to work on your bike. When you find the good guys in your area, stick with em. They are worth more than they get paid...

Back