• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"SERVICE JUN 2010" Reading in Display on RT

exgman

I was out on my 2008 R1200RT this past weekend, and in that little interval we all go through before starting while the machine boots itself up a little notification came up on the screen: "SERVICE JUN 2010." Of course, I immediately did RTFM, but it really wasn't very specific, other than something is supposed to be done, and if you drive a lot of miles, you probably should do something more often than the indicator wants.

In my defense, I tried to see through Search if someone had addressed this before. I could not find anything. I assume this happens to everyone. Can anyone suggest what the dealer will do when I bring the bike in next month? It's really not due for anything, but I think it's approaching two years on the same brake fluid, so perhaps this is what it wants? I my bimmer, the service intervals are said to be controlled by conditions, but I didn't think that was the case with the beemer.

FWIW, I've got just over 4,100 miles on the ODO now.

TIA - JG

I was out on my 2008 R1200RT this past weekend, and in that little interval we all go through before starting while the machine boots itself up a little notification came up on the screen: "SERVICE JUN 2010." Of course, I immediately did RTFM, but it really wasn't very specific, other than something is supposed to be done, and if you drive a lot of miles, you probably should do something more often than the indicator wants.

In my defense, I tried to see through Search if someone had addressed this before. I could not find anything. I assume this happens to everyone. Can anyone suggest what the dealer will do when I bring the bike in next month? It's really not due for anything, but I think it's approaching two years on the same brake fluid, so perhaps this is what it wants? I my bimmer, the service intervals are said to be controlled by conditions, but I didn't think that was the case with the beemer.

FWIW, I've got just over 4,100 miles on the ODO now.

TIA - JG
As I understand it, the RT's system is not as sophisticated as the bimmers' -- basically, it's a fixed-date reminder to have the bike serviced. Mine also sez June 2010, even though I did the 6K service this weekend. One of the next couple weekends I'll drive the hour down to my dealer's, have the bike hooked up to the computer, and have the date reset. I could do this myself with the aftermarket $300 GS-911 code reading tool, but I'm not ready to part with that much coin -- besides, it's an excuse to go for a ride :D

I could do this myself with the aftermarket $300 GS-911 code reading tool, but I'm not ready to part with that much coin -- besides, it's an excuse to go for a ride :D

Here's something else to add to your "reasons to get a GS-911" list. The RepROM implies that idle balance is set by adjusting your valves. The wording is something like "if the side-to-side balance is greater than the allowed 25 mbar check for air leaks or valve mismatch."

OK. After adjusting the valves on my GS last week I got this at idle:

p-20100507-1356-1690.jpg

The needles were bouncing a bit and the camera got it at a good time. It was closer to 2 cm Hg off or about 27 mbar. I'd expect that before a valve adjust, not after. But not to panic... I turned off the bike and hooked up the GS-911, then went through the steps to lock the idle actuators.

p-20100507-1413-1693.jpg

Closer to 7 mbar. See, I do know how to adjust valves. :laugh

My guess is that it takes time for the system to respond and adjust to changing conditions and that the actuators were still trying to compensate for the valves prior to being adjusted.

I do like my GS-911.

I have a camhead, and I understand the new service interval is 12 months or 12K miles, and I will get an RID display telling me when it is time. This tracks with what my four-wheeled BMW does.

Maybe all BMW's now have a little German man in the dashboard!

09 rt

I have the exact same message. The manual says it will start a count down at 600 miles to service advising of the impending expense and service requirements mileage count down.

Yup, I've had my service reminder lit for the last 23,000 miles.... :thumb Don't worry, I do my own service. I just don't have one of those fancy new edition GS911 to reset it.:type

My guess is that it takes time for the system to respond and adjust to changing conditions and that the actuators were still trying to compensate for the valves prior to being adjusted.

I do like my GS-911.
Just had this discussion on the R12R forum.. :scratch

It is NORMAL to see fluctuations in the idle vacuum on a hexhead motor. The idle air is dynamically set using the stepper-motor controlled bypass air passages, and from everything I've been able to find out, BMW is not trying to balance idle vacuum with them. I suspect what BMW is doing is optimizing (minimizing) emissions while still keeping the engine from stalling.

I have seen the steppers drop out of lock-sync right after resetting if you stop/start the bike.

Just my personal opinion - I don't care how it idles as long as it doesn't stall. I do care how it RUNS.. and as soon as the TB's leave the idle position, the stepper motors are locked in sync. You can watch this (and even plot it if you export data to Excel) with the GS-911 real time engine monitoring.

I believe what BMW is really saying is - if you see an imbalance in intake vacuum above idle (where the steppers are locked) it is more likely caused by a poor valve adjustment or an intake leak then it is by the TB cable balance being out. My experience so far (36k) has been - I've never really had to adjust the balance above idle. It seems hugely more stable then the airheads ever dreamed of being, and much more stable then the oilheads were. I think BMW finally got the cable layout right.. (only took ummm.. about 70 years..)

Back