Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: K75 Mounting plate

  1. #1
    bchurch
    Guest

    K75 Mounting plate

    I installed a BMW luggage rack on my bike then tried to put the mounting plate in it for the top case. It seems to be impossible?
    Is it necessary to put the mounting plate under the luggage rack when one installs the luggage rack?
    Also should there be a spacer between the luggage rack and the rear cowling? I attached mine right to the cowling.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Midnight Rider 41077's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gresham, Oregon
    Posts
    547

    No worries.

    The trick is to slide the front edge of the plate under the rack (seat edge vs taillight edge, push it toward the seat, then the rear of the plate (has a notch along the edge) should drop-in and slide back into position.
    There should be foam on the bottom side of the mounting plate that may need to be compressed for this to work.

  3. #3
    Registered User breyfogle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lomita (aka L.A.), SoCal
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
    I installed a BMW luggage rack on my bike
    Also should there be a spacer between the luggage rack and the rear cowling? I attached mine right to the cowling.
    Thanks
    I had to add two standard metal washers (maybe 1/8 inch) at each corner in order to lift the rack enough for the mounting plate to slide under rack.
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rapid City South Dakota
    Posts
    243

    Two Slots

    There are 2 slots in the front of the rack amd 2 slots in the rear of the rack. Slide the adapter plate into the front slots far enough so the plate slips down to the rear slots and then slide the plate rearward into the rear slots. The foam should firm up the plate. Thats the way it works on my Ks
    Harold In Rapid City, SD
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

  5. #5
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,695
    Quote Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
    Also should there be a spacer between the luggage rack and the rear cowling? I attached mine right to the cowling.
    Thanks
    There are 4 rubber washers that are supposed to go between the rack and the body:

    13 RUBBER WASHER 4 46621230798 $2.23

    The are a little thinner that 1/8".

    They help keep your paint from cracking.




    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  6. #6
    Registered User breyfogle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lomita (aka L.A.), SoCal
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    There are 4 rubber washers that are supposed to go between the rack and the body ...
    I kept the four rubber washers (one at each corner) and added two steel washers at each corner.
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

  7. #7
    stevenfox8@comcast.net
    Guest

    OEM and aftermarket luggage/top case racks - K75?

    Does anybody have a photo of the OEM top case rack for K75?

    Also, does anybody know who makes the after-market RACK that's pictured in this listing for a Givi adaptor plate?

    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/206/487/

    Doesn't appear to be the OEM rack.

    (I'm thinking of mounting one of the Givi econo top cases, I think it's the 35 liter model, without the lenses.

    Thanks for any help!

    Steven

  8. #8
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by 88940 View Post
    Does anybody have a photo of the OEM top case rack for K75?

    Also, does anybody know who makes the after-market RACK that's pictured in this listing for a Givi adaptor plate?

    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/206/487/


    Steven
    Uh, I think Givi makes it

    That page says manufacturer is givi.it. I'll let you know when mine shows up in a few days I bought it to mount the JC whitney topcase, which is kind of silly since that adapter costs more than the topcase, but there you go.

  9. #9
    Registered User robsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by 88940 View Post
    Does anybody have a photo of the OEM top case rack for K75?

    Also, does anybody know who makes the after-market RACK that's pictured in this listing for a Givi adaptor plate?

    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/206/487/

    Doesn't appear to be the OEM rack.

    (I'm thinking of mounting one of the Givi econo top cases, I think it's the 35 liter model, without the lenses.

    Thanks for any help!

    Steven

    That's the Givi E181 case.
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.

  10. #10
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by barooo View Post
    Uh, I think Givi makes it

    That page says manufacturer is givi.it. I'll let you know when mine shows up in a few days I bought it to mount the JC whitney topcase, which is kind of silly since that adapter costs more than the topcase, but there you go.
    To clarify my comment... I think that whole rack + latch plate is what you get; it replaces the OEM rack and screws into the holes the OEM rack uses. Or at least I hope so... But I've seen 2-3 posts here and on ADV saying it mounts that way and replaces the OEM rack, so it's not just the plate it's the whole thing

    I'll include a pic when mine shows up.

  11. #11
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by barooo View Post
    To clarify my comment... I think that whole rack + latch plate is what you get; it replaces the OEM rack and screws into the holes the OEM rack uses. Or at least I hope so... But I've seen 2-3 posts here and on ADV saying it mounts that way and replaces the OEM rack, so it's not just the plate it's the whole thing

    I'll include a pic when mine shows up.
    No pic, but the box has the mounting plate and the rack, so you get that whole assembly.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chambersburg Pa.
    Posts
    264
    88940, I PMed you
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •