Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Liquor Laws

The price of hops skyrocketed last year, due to a crop failure (in Europe, IIRC) which caused an international shortage.

That accounts for some of the price increases in our Barley-Pop.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; Candidate for Director 2018
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    What is this 'beer' you speak of???
    Otherwise known as "Golden Elixir"......there's a sandwich in every can, and a song at the bottom!

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    The price of hops skyrocketed last year, due to a crop failure (in Europe, IIRC) which caused an international shortage.

That accounts for some of the price increases in our Barley-Pop.
    also grain prices were up

Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    What is this 'beer' you speak of???
    Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    Otherwise known as "Golden Elixir"......there's a sandwich in every can, and a song at the bottom!
    I was waiting for you to chime in, hlothery.

"Is that European or common beer?"
    No pithy comments available at this time.
    Please check back later.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    Ohio has gotten better over the years. There used to be a law that didn't allow them to sell beer over a certain percentage of alcohol (it was still fairly high but left out some of the fancier microbrews), but that law has since gone away.
    *Sigh* You're so young ...

The minimum legal* age for drinking was 18, but until you were 21, you could only buy & consume 3.2% ('three-two') beer - and believe me; it takes an awful lot of that to get any kind of a buzz on.

AFAIK, there was no alcohol percentage limitation on anything else.
    Last edited by 535is; 05-12-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: * Addresses the assertion of the next poster.

The drinking age is still 18. It may not be the law, but as a person who oversees university campus housing I can assure you it is the near universal practice.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    It's a bit rustic here in Fly-over-land. We brew our own.
    True, but we're also right next door to the beer Mecca known as Wisconsin.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
    I was waiting for you to chime in, hlothery.

"Is that European or common beer?"
    "I don't always drink beer, but if I do" I prefer Franziskaner Hefewietzen. However, Blue Moon has a summer ale called Honey Moon which is mighty good!

No problems getting alcohol in San Antonio. However, I did have to "join" a private club once in a Dallas restaurant to buy wine. I've heard that has changed now, though.

Don't Goldwings have a Pony Keg option?
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by 535is View Post
    *Sigh* You're so young ...

The minimum age for drinking was 18, but until you were 21, you could only buy & consume 3.2% ('three-two') beer - and believe me; it takes an awful lot of that to get any kind of a buzz on.

AFAIK, there was no alcohol percentage limitation on anything else.
    I actually wasn't referencing the 3.2 thing, since I wasn't drinking age (or quite possible alive) back then.

No, they used to have some limit that kept out higher gravity beers - this goes back to the late 90's or early 2000's. I remember because I wanted a certain Barley Wine and I had to drive up to Michigan to get it. These days, I can easily find the 8-10%+ beers if I want them.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    I actually wasn't referencing the 3.2 thing, since I wasn't drinking age (or quite possible alive) back then.

No, they used to have some limit that kept out higher gravity beers - this goes back to the late 90's or early 2000's. I remember because I wanted a certain Barley Wine and I had to drive up to Michigan to get it. These days, I can easily find the 8-10%+ beers if I want them.
    OK; in that time period, I was here, not in Ohio. I musta' missed a lot in that decade.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Don't Goldwings have a Pony Keg option?
    With fillup points identified on the Navi option.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    ...and I have to add Rik, you'll never find a town full of more drunks than PGH.
    There are no drunks native to Pittsburgh. We are descended from men of steel sinew and fists of granite. Of women that kept them in line. We are weaned on a shot and a beer ( not much different than our mother's milk). We are Professional Drinkers.

bob1100rtc
    I'm quite proud of my drinking heritage. We do in fact have some screwed up laws though. I would love to get one of those state store jobs however.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1100RTC View Post
    I'm quite proud of my drinking heritage. We do in fact have some screwed up laws though. I would love to get one of those state store jobs however.
    A friend of mine is a store manager and there is always the threat of privatization around contract time and he also has to work some Sundays. I am no sure but I also believe that the government agency has a private CEO making it a high risk state career.

I do like the changes in Pennsylvania there is better liquor and spirit selection and the beer stores have all my favorite beers including Tusker from South Africa, and all the fine Czech, German, and Belgium brands. It gets overwhelming at times when you are set on one brand and get browsing, it's coming down to saying hello to the manager as I enter the store and ask what do they have new and unusual. Also there has been two upstart wineries in my area so things seem to be reaching out to consumer demands.

I don't mine the other laws I can live in a place where there is no age restrictions or laws to blue laws and a black market. Just get the drunks off the road, make the place like Europe.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance