Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Liquor Laws

Retired User
    In Kansas, if I remember correctly, you can't get a drink with your meal in a restaurant, only in a private club. How do they get around this? They set aside a section of the restaurant as a private club. If you want a beer or glass of wine with your meal, you pay some nominal fee ($1), when you come in, to join the club. They then seat you in the club section.
    When I was in college in Michigan in the sixties, the town (East Lansing) was dry. Whenever a referendum to change that situation made it to the ballot, the liquor stores that ringed the town would invest big bucks in the campaign to keep East Lansing dry. On Sunday, you couldn't buy alcohol anywhere.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    2015 R1200RT

535IS
    It's Wisconsin. There's hardly any place you can't buy beer. Although no one under 21 can sell it to you, if you are with your own kids over the age of 16 (NEW LAW - there has been no age restriction until now), they can drink with you.

FWIW, a 12-pack of Leinie's goes for about $11 here, New Glarus brews are about $7/6-pack ... and both are at Walmart.

Since I hardly buy any hard liquor here, I don't notice whether there are any further restrictions on it. If so, it's not much. Is $21 for 750 ml of Bailey's Irish Cream good?

Quote Originally Posted by 535is View Post
    FWIW, a 12-pack of Leinie's goes for about $11 here, New Glarus brews are about $7/6-pack ... and both are at Walmart.
    Hmmm...This whole PA Beer panic sounds like a great opportunity for me and the lowly Toyota pick-up at the BMWMOA National in Bloomsburg. At $7 per six pack for Miller / Bud / Yuengling products I can make a $2~3 profit per six pack. Better yet, I could sell Bitburg half-liters for $10/8-pack and still make a buck or two.

I might be the humanitarian thing to do........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

It's a bit rustic here in Fly-over-land. We brew our own.

We here in The Commonwealth revel in our archaic notion of religion, guns and where to purchase quality beers, ales and fine liquor at ten times the going rate. We are a model of corruption and proud of our heritage. And the next governor could be the guy that levied a 10% drink tax. So if you're coming in 2011, be prepared to go to church, get shot at for trespassing, and have your pockets fleeced.

criminaldesign
    ...and I have to add Rik, you'll never find a town full of more drunks than PGH.

If you want a case of beer, you go to the beer distributor. I worked the 3rd shift at University Beverage in Oakland around 10 years ago behind the cage which had a small door you slid the case under after 11pm. I witnessed some goofball situations and participated in some goofball situations working that shift.

College kids, bums, taxi drivers and punk rockers make for an eclectic mix in the beer store from 11pm-7am.

That reminds me, I got to go to PGH for the remainder of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    ...and I have to add Rik, you'll never find a town full of more drunks than PGH.

If you want a case of beer, you go to the beer distributor. I worked the 3rd shift at University Beverage in Oakland around 10 years ago behind the cage which had a small door you slid the case under after 11pm. I witnessed some goofball situations and participated in some goofball situations working that shift.

College kids, bums, taxi drivers and punk rockers make for an eclectic mix in the beer store from 11pm-7am.

That reminds me, I got to go to PGH for the remainder of the week.
    Now wait, criticism is one thing, but when it comes from the state where you have to buy a club membership to get a drink, a line has to be drawn..........

Seriously, some things are changing in PA. Beer is now sold in the Wegman's grocery store chain and the Sheetz's convenience store has bravely won the legal battle to sell six-packs in one store. It's a start but the restaurant owners and beer distributors have made lots of campaign contributions to protect their markets.

chain
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    ........... and have your pockets fleeced.
    Only, if you buy alcohol. Otherwise, prices are pretty typical of the Midwest. However, outside of PGH and Philly, the food really does suck.

Stuff

What is this 'beer' you speak of???

Ohio has gotten better over the years. There used to be a law that didn't allow them to sell beer over a certain percentage of alcohol (it was still fairly high but left out some of the fancier microbrews), but that law has since gone away. Over the years, there have also been ballot initiatives (they were doing it on a store-by-store basis) to allow them to sell wine and liquor on Sundays. Now you can get whatever you want, though on Sundays, beer can only be purchased after 10am and wine and liquor after 11am.

As long as they have a liquor permit, gas stations and grocery stores can sell beer. Even the local Kroger is carrying more and more microbrews.

There are still a few dry counties, though they are all in the mid and southern parts of the state.

Sounds like things are pretty much the same as they were back in the late 80's when I visited a client at the time, A.J. Silberman, a local convenience store supplier.

I am ignorant however on sales tax rates in PA, as well as state income tax, property tax and license plates. I'll go along with the whole "sin" tax ideology I guess but this is pretty heavy handed.

So is the Commonwealth making up for lack of revenues generated elsewhere? Let's say we shift the load and go with your standard grocery store/convenience store/liquor store setup like we have here west of Chicago and pick up the slack with a new sales tax and/or property tax and/or income tax system.

Oh yeah, we'd hear howling then I betcha!

Rally Rat

Alcohol Laws of Pa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol...f_Pennsylvania

..and those whom are responsible to enforce them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl..._Control_Board

Regards,

Clay
    Kimberton,Pa.

So we were in Arkansas a few years ago and went into an Applebees for some lunch. "Please sign the register", they asked. What?????

"This is a private club and only members and guests can buy booze. "

I guess the letter of the law is enough.

Beginning to look like MOA having a beer tent in 2011 will be a good thing. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Beginning to look like MOA having a beer tent in 2011 will be a good thing. Right?
    Remember to bring your membership card.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

angysdad
    In Qu?Žbec, beer and (cheap) wine is available in corner/grocery stores. Liquor and (good) wine is gouvernement liquor stores. All restaurants/bars have to purchace their booze through the gouvernement so sometimes choice is limited. There is no 'good' tequila available in Qu?Žbec (my drink of choice), but Ontario is not far away.
    cheers