• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pennsylvania Liquor Laws

...and I have to add Rik, you'll never find a town full of more drunks than PGH.

If you want a case of beer, you go to the beer distributor. I worked the 3rd shift at University Beverage in Oakland around 10 years ago behind the cage which had a small door you slid the case under after 11pm. I witnessed some goofball situations and participated in some goofball situations working that shift.

College kids, bums, taxi drivers and punk rockers make for an eclectic mix in the beer store from 11pm-7am.

That reminds me, I got to go to PGH for the remainder of the week.

...and I have to add Rik, you'll never find a town full of more drunks than PGH.

If you want a case of beer, you go to the beer distributor. I worked the 3rd shift at University Beverage in Oakland around 10 years ago behind the cage which had a small door you slid the case under after 11pm. I witnessed some goofball situations and participated in some goofball situations working that shift.

College kids, bums, taxi drivers and punk rockers make for an eclectic mix in the beer store from 11pm-7am.

That reminds me, I got to go to PGH for the remainder of the week.

Now wait, criticism is one thing, but when it comes from the state where you have to buy a club membership to get a drink, a line has to be drawn..........

Seriously, some things are changing in PA. Beer is now sold in the Wegman's grocery store chain and the Sheetz's convenience store has bravely won the legal battle to sell six-packs in one store. It's a start but the restaurant owners and beer distributors have made lots of campaign contributions to protect their markets.

chain

Ohio has gotten better over the years. There used to be a law that didn't allow them to sell beer over a certain percentage of alcohol (it was still fairly high but left out some of the fancier microbrews), but that law has since gone away. Over the years, there have also been ballot initiatives (they were doing it on a store-by-store basis) to allow them to sell wine and liquor on Sundays. Now you can get whatever you want, though on Sundays, beer can only be purchased after 10am and wine and liquor after 11am.

As long as they have a liquor permit, gas stations and grocery stores can sell beer. Even the local Kroger is carrying more and more microbrews.

There are still a few dry counties, though they are all in the mid and southern parts of the state.

Sounds like things are pretty much the same as they were back in the late 80's when I visited a client at the time, A.J. Silberman, a local convenience store supplier.

I am ignorant however on sales tax rates in PA, as well as state income tax, property tax and license plates. I'll go along with the whole "sin" tax ideology I guess but this is pretty heavy handed.

So is the Commonwealth making up for lack of revenues generated elsewhere? Let's say we shift the load and go with your standard grocery store/convenience store/liquor store setup like we have here west of Chicago and pick up the slack with a new sales tax and/or property tax and/or income tax system.

Oh yeah, we'd hear howling then I betcha!

So we were in Arkansas a few years ago and went into an Applebees for some lunch. "Please sign the register", they asked. What?????

"This is a private club and only members and guests can buy booze. ":laugh:laugh:laugh

I guess the letter of the law is enough.

Beginning to look like MOA having a beer tent in 2011 will be a good thing. Right?

In Qu?®bec, beer and (cheap) wine is available in corner/grocery stores. Liquor and (good) wine is gouvernement liquor stores. All restaurants/bars have to purchace their booze through the gouvernement so sometimes choice is limited. There is no 'good' tequila available in Qu?®bec (my drink of choice), but Ontario is not far away.:dance
cheers

The price of hops skyrocketed last year, due to a crop failure (in Europe, IIRC) which caused an international shortage.

That accounts for some of the price increases in our Barley-Pop. :whistle

The price of hops skyrocketed last year, due to a crop failure (in Europe, IIRC) which caused an international shortage.

That accounts for some of the price increases in our Barley-Pop. :whistle

also grain prices were up

Ohio has gotten better over the years. There used to be a law that didn't allow them to sell beer over a certain percentage of alcohol (it was still fairly high but left out some of the fancier microbrews), but that law has since gone away.

*Sigh* You're so young ...

The minimum legal* age for drinking was 18, but until you were 21, you could only buy & consume 3.2% ('three-two') beer - and believe me; it takes an awful lot of that to get any kind of a buzz on.

AFAIK, there was no alcohol percentage limitation on anything else.

Last edited:
The drinking age is still 18. It may not be the law, but as a person who oversees university campus housing I can assure you it is the near universal practice.

I was waiting for you to chime in, hlothery.

"Is that European or common beer?"

"I don't always drink beer, but if I do" I prefer Franziskaner Hefewietzen. However, Blue Moon has a summer ale called Honey Moon which is mighty good!

No problems getting alcohol in San Antonio. However, I did have to "join" a private club once in a Dallas restaurant to buy wine. I've heard that has changed now, though.

*Sigh* You're so young ...

The minimum age for drinking was 18, but until you were 21, you could only buy & consume 3.2% ('three-two') beer - and believe me; it takes an awful lot of that to get any kind of a buzz on.

AFAIK, there was no alcohol percentage limitation on anything else.

I actually wasn't referencing the 3.2 thing, since I wasn't drinking age (or quite possible alive) back then. :ha

No, they used to have some limit that kept out higher gravity beers - this goes back to the late 90's or early 2000's. I remember because I wanted a certain Barley Wine and I had to drive up to Michigan to get it. These days, I can easily find the 8-10%+ beers if I want them. :drink

Back