• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can anybody test ride a bike in Chicago for me?

M

MoBeemer

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the club and back in the States from 7 yrs in SE Asia and looking for an airhead classic, specifically a '74 -'76 R90. I've found a good one, I think, in Chicago, but I'm 8 hours away in Missouri! Can any of you that have some free time (Ha!) and live in Chicago possibly check out a bike for me, i.e. set up an appointment to ride it and assess it, how it runs, and what it needs to become a daily rider? I believe it is in North Chicago and the man selling it has it at his business location. He is available Thursday the 6th through Sunday May 9th for you to meet him and test ride the bike. This would be a great help to me in making him an offer as I can see how much work has to be put into it to make it a daily rider! I'd preferable like one that is ready to go and I can tinker with it as needed. I use my motorcycle daily to commute to work, currently riding a dual sport enduro! Thanks for any help. If you can do this for me, just contact me at john_weeks@ntm.org, thanks, if I buy it I'll meet you for dinner at location of your choice and treat you!

UC is right. Jon's a whiz when it comes to the airheads. Maybe shoot him a PM and see if he's available.

i be in chicago today. hmmmmm North Chicago only 11 mies away from me, my # 847 220 8261

Thanks!

Thanks for all your helpful input guys. I had a guy email me and he is going to try to see the bike and test ride this week! Problem is, the bike owner says he's busy in meetings for the next couple of days so can't show the bike! Let's hope he can show it by Wednesday! I'll let you all know how it goes! -MoBeemer

My new BMW friend test rode the bike:

Hey guys, the guy who replied to my thread set up an appointment and actually rode the Beemer I'm interested in ('74 R90/6) and he even sent me 9 pictures and gave his assessment of the bike. I think I'm going to "bite the bullet" and pull a motorcycle trailer up to Chicago 8 hours and buy the bike! I'll let you know how it all goes! I want this to be my daily commuter and get me through the summer before any big repairs are in order.

I assume that you have a handle on:
-service history
-recent parts replacements and maint
-age of tires, battery, brake pads, filters

Back