Thread: fuel filter

fuel filter

saw this in an ad. anybody here use something like this, if so, can the in tank filter be discarded?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

as long as the fuel is filtered it doesn't matter where the filter is located. lots of people go with an outside filter like you have shown. it makes maintence simple.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Exactly what I use, easy to maintain and you can see if any crap is dropping from the tank. On my old vw I use a tank filter and one by the engine bay because of the length of the metal fuel lines, don't feel both are necessary on a bike
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1967 Moto Guzzi V700 (current restoration)

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Been using them for years and years. Ever since a miniscule piece of crud made it into my right carb and occasionally partly blocked the main jet, causing the bike to cut out around 70. I assume the tank screens are still in there. I've never had to remove my petcocks or mess around inside the tank. (knock on wood)
    Howard Edwards

2014 Road King; 1975 R75/6

Tank screens

The filter in the pic looks like the Napa one that Sno-Bum recommends.

The tank screens should be look at during annual or at least every two years. I have the type with brass tubes and a small cylinder screen in the botton of the pet cock. It is no big deal to remove these and clean them. The washers are fiber washers and easily replaced or reused... you do not have the tighten the B--Jeasuus out of them.

Remember, the tank screens are NOT fuel filters. The filter will guarantee clean gas.

Snug is good enough.
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"