• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Photo on cover of May 2010 ON

S

scqtt

Attention William Wallace. Your American flag is on backward. Field is toward the front of a moving vehicle.

You still have a cool name though.

I noticed on several pics of troops recently wearing desert camo that their flags also seem to be on wrong as well.

But in the big scheme of things, hell of a picture and a nice story to go with it.

I noticed on several pics of troops recently wearing desert camo that their flags also seem to be on wrong as well.

But in the big scheme of things, hell of a picture and a nice story to go with it.

They are supposed to have the flag on their right shoulder, with the field on the right side. As they walk they become the flagpole.

People mistakenly think the blue field is always on the left side.

Flags have two sides, the field is always leading if something is capable of moving.

Sheriffs have it wrong about 90% of the time.

On of the advantages of the Canadian flag, you can wear it backwards, and nobody notices. Do not however display it upside-down! :ca

And why do "Sheriff's" have it wrong most of the time? The ones I've seen display it properly with the field in the upper left (as you face the flag) or the field facing forward if worn on the shoulder. And I've seen 1,000's.

Having not seen the picture in question, well I just remain quiet about that.

When usually worn on a uniform as a shoulder patch, it's was commonly worn on the left shoulder. If the flag patch is on the right shoulder on a uniform (usually a military ACU type uniform, again with the field facing forward), the wearer may be compling with Army Regulation 670-1, 5R. U.S. FLAG INSIGNIA - THE U.S. FLAG INSIGNIA (FULL COLOR OR SUBDUED) IS WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER POCKET FLAP OF THE ACU COAT. THE FLAG INSIGNIA IS PLACED DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE HOOK AND LOOP-FACED PAD ALREADY PROVIDED WITH THE ACU COAT SHOULDER POCKET FLAP. THE SUBDUED U.S. FLAG INSIGNIA IS WORN AS DIRECTED BY THE COMMANDER UNDER TACTICAL OR FIELD CONDITIONS. :usa

And to be fair, :ca

Army Regulation 670-1, ÔÇ£Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,ÔÇØ updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that ÔÇ£the star field faces forward, or to the flagÔÇÖs own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observerÔÇÖs right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ÔÇÿreverse side flagÔÇÖ.ÔÇØ

:usa

Or more importantly:
Federal Flag Code Amendment Act of 2007

Does this mean that anyone wearing the uniform is not allowed to walk backward?

Back