• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NEED HELP/INPUT from the K-BIKE Veterans - 1987 K100RS

ROUND #2 - 1987 K100RS 38K Miles

Take a look at this one, have not seen it in person yet and all I got is the pics.

Ownwer states the following:

- Asking 3,000.00 or Best Offer.
- Mileage: 38K
- "We are not the first owners of this motocycle, and it is actually my father's (I am only trying to help him sell it), and we have had it about 4 years. Once we bought the bike we spent about a thousand dollars servicing and cleaning it up, which we have the records for. Since we have owned it we have done very little riding".
----- > I have asked for him to describe this work in more detail.
- The brakes are in good condition with only a few hundred miles wear on them; at most.
- No ABS
- "The bike has been sitting awhile (always garaged) and we just don't get the use out of it and are ready to sell".

Looking at the pics and after reading all your previous comments, I notice the following:

- Both fork reflectors are gone.
- Roundels look clean.
- Tires look good.
- Side Cases have locks (2nd generation?).
- A few cosmetical blemishes that I would expect on a 23 year old bike.
- Original shock (no Ohlin). -----> Does a Ohlin make a BIG difference?
- Fork has the rubber boot covers on it.
- Bottom Fairing installed.
- K100 and RS logo missing front and back

I am thinking the asking price for this one is a lot closer, hope you agree. I think it sits a lot nicer and if I can pick this one up for 2,500.00, it might be a good deal?

Pics to follow

Attachments

• Whitek1.jpg
    Whitek1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 87
question #1) why and when was it repainted?
question #2) why & when did the fork reflectors go? (might be associated with the repaint, maybe not).

an aftermarket shock really helps, and Ohlins is (among) the best.
from pics alone, i'm liking this bike more than the red one.

Parts may have been removed on purpose.

I took the reflectors off of my bike first year I had it, rear mudflap removed at the same time. I like the look of just the plate under the taillight. Still have all the parts. Just because the reflectors are gone doesn't mean it was crashed.
Maybe we should start a Rate My Bike thread for older non restored road warriors then compare the critique with owners impression of how it runs/rides.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe we should start a Rate My Bike thread for older non restored road warriors
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My bike would lose. It is missing reflectors, one badge is aged, one is new, one is missing. It's dirty. It has been crashed big time. And it will run forever despite that :whistle

Jochen - the underside lip of the tank looks suspicious to me. K bike tanks - if left with water sitting in them tend to corrode through the aluminum. Sometimes all that stands between the gasoline in the tank and the outside world is the paint - which can blister up.

See the lump under the tank? That's not normal. You do want to know why it's there. I might be an old repair of the tank, or it could be a leak waiting to happen.

Just a FWIW. Not a bad looking bike other then that.

Since we have owned it we have done very little riding".

- "The bike has been sitting awhile (always garaged) and we just don't get the use out of it and are ready to sell".[/B]

[/QUOTE]

What happens with a K-bike that has been sitting is that the gas goes bad and then attacks the fuel pump vibration damper. When the bike is attempted to be restarted it sucks the dissolved rubber from the damper into the pump and then pumps it into the injectors. This can kill the pump and plug the injectors.

The best thing to do is, before the bike is started, pull the gas cap assembly (4 screws) just like you do when you do a fuel filter change (seller should either do this for you or allow you to do it). Run your fingers over the black rubber that surrounds the fuel pump on the left side of the tank (Yeah, you got to get your hands in the gas). If a little brown color comes off on your fingers, it's starting to go bad. If it is soft and more like tar, it's already bad and all you would be doing by trying to start it is putting more crap in the pump and injectors.

If nothing comes off on your fingers and the inside of the tank is bare aluminum with no brown scum in it, it's probably good to go.

The pictures look pretty good, but you are going to have to really inspect it and ask questions.

Good Luck

:dance:dance:dance

Possible K100 Issues

Three years ago I bought a 1987 K100LT w/ sidecar and 30k mi. I immediately had to replace a leaking rear main seal (had the front trans seal replaced at the same time as a precaution) and had the leaking Progressive shock rebuilt. Within the first year I replaced a sticking radiator fan & the thermostat. I have since replaced the water/oil pump and starter. I agree with other posts suggesting that just sitting can cause deterioration of some components. Now it runs like a watch.

Resurrecting an old thread.......

I just bought this 1987 K100RS.......I'd like opinions on it and then I'll tell you what I paid for it. the fellow I bought it from is a well known BMW motorcycle restorer. Many of you know him personally. He went "right through" the bike before he added it to his collection. I traded a pristine 2002 MV Agusta F4s for this bike and some cash. This could be fun, let me know what you think.......

I took the bike on a long ride and it feels like a bike two years old, not 23 years old! Just about perfect right down to the squeaking "milk truck" brakes.......
It has a Remus exhaust and a like new OEM exhaust, two seats, BMW painers and a BMW vintage tank bag.

Not a mark on the paint anywhere. Very minor scrape on the engine cover, new tires, new windscreen.

DSC_0565-vi.jpg

DSC_0569-vi.jpg

DSC_0571-vi.jpg

DSC_0591-vi.jpg

DSC_0592-vi.jpg

DSC_0593-vi.jpg

Lots more images and close-up here......

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/motorcycle/motorcycles-current/1987-bmw-k100rs/

Jochen,

IMO, go with your gut level feeling on which bike feels the best. I'd personally take the lower miles but that's me. Both look clean.

I bought my K75S with 30k miles for @ $3200. The bike hadn't been ridden much at all.

Not knowing you and what you like to do . . . I like tinkering with my stuff. On my K and over two riding seasons, I replaced the front stock pulsating rotors with floating rotors, replaced the old rubber brake lines with Stainless Lines from Spiegler, put in new brake pads, put a new blower motor over the radiator (my Bosch fan was fried and I MEAN fried!). Put Bridgestone BT45's on it, a Stebel Air horn, driving lights, heated grips, emergency flashers, aux power outlet to charge Ipod & cellphone and accept a trickle charger when not riding. I recently replaced the rear master cylinder - it was leaking and when I got into it, the aluminum was pitted. But on a beautiful Progressive shock on rear. Bike already has a corbin seat.

My point is you're buying an older bike and older bikes take love and money to become roadworthy once again. The K75's & K100's are a desireable enough bike to devote a Forum column on this website - that says a lot.

So buy the bike that feels right for you - expect to put some money into it - do it for the love, not to make money down the road. The payoff is an amazing ride that will carry you from place to place with a minimum investment.

I just rode mine from the Midwest to West Coast - I kept thinking "will this bike make it w/out incident?" Guess what, the bike could carry me a lot farther than the other way around. These bikes are amazing.

If you want easy, go buy a new K bike for 18 grand.

My perspective - Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back