• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Satellite Radio

Hey folks,

Just wondering what you are currently using for a satellite radio? I would prefer one with an mp3 player. I also need to use it on both the bike and truck. I found lots of information on the forum but many of the post are for radios that are no longer available. Is anyone currently using an XMp3i receiver? I do not want to go the Zumo route. I have a standard Starcom for communication. I ride a 06 RT. Thanks for the help.

** I LOVE MY SIRIUS RADIO **

With that said....

I was using a bar mounted Stratus 5 setup for a brief time. The vibration killed the fragile Sirius equipment very quickly. I called and complained - they sent a new full setup for free. The second unit died the first outing.

Sirius "docking' units are not able to take the vibration of riding. Highly suggest using dedicated units.

After 2 dead units I cancelled my subscription.

BTW - I have a factory car unit also. A simple call to cancel my entire account (due to lack of use) got me a 50% rate discount.

XM Radio

I have been using XM Radio for about 4 years now. I have used Delphi Roady 2 and now a Delphi SkyFi2. I have mounted them on a home made bracket on the left side. The bracket supports the antenna. I have gone through 2 Roadys since their failure is due to an inadequately strong power socket that has broken down in both cases. Now trying the SkyFi2 and so far no problems. These are cheap enough that I have no problem with them breaking down after a year or so. I do not believe that being mounted on a motorcycle is responsible for the power socket breaking other that me taking it on and off the bike. The Skifi2 comes with a cradle so the power socket problem on the Roady should be a non event. I like Satellite because of the variety of stations and genre of music and have not felt the need to add more music from an MP3 player.

I would like BMW to include it with the factory radio. The Honda Gold Wing has satellite radio stock. I know BMW has satellite radios in there cars so they could just use the same radio in there motorcycles.

I'm moving this over to "GEAR" since it's not hexhead specific, and it might get more attention and answers there.

Hang on.. please keep your hands and feet inside the thread at all times for your safety and protection (and wear your gear ALL the time!)..

I would like BMW to include it with the factory radio. The Honda Gold Wing has satellite radio stock. I know BMW has satellite radios in there cars so they could just use the same radio in there motorcycles.
BMW does have a satellite radio option for the cars - but it's generally tied into the central display system for most of it's functionality, and there is no "radio" as such - there is a display module, a control module, a tuning module, and amplifiers and speakers. The entire system probably weights about 1/3rd of an RT.

I had a Sirius radio that I used only in my car. It died after a year. Bought a new one ($100) which lasted about a year and the LED's started burning out, making it hard to use at night. Seemed like I was paying the annual subscription rate plus an annual new radio cost, which made it far from worthwhile for me. Besides, I'm not a fan of Howard Stern and couldn't see my money being used for his salary.

If you are seriuos about sat radio, you have to get a unit that can handle both the vibration and being out in the elements. Otherwise, with any other unit, you are just buying time until the unit fails. I have the Zumo 550 and it is mounted on a Touratech MVG. I can easily transfer the unit between my Avalanche and the GSA. The TT mount is expensive, but it really isolates a lot of vibration. And it locks so the unit does not fly off the bike while hitting big bumps. I have my cellphone bluetoothed to the Zumo and an Autocom unit hardwired to the zumo/Garmin mount.

Back