• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new member and question

eugenio

I am from upstate NY. Just purchased 2010 R1200RT. I am 52 and getting back into motorcycling. One graduating college one starting. Time to have some fun!! Rode allot in teens and early 20's. Planning across country trip. I have the audio package and trying to set up my iphone. I need the special USB cable. Is it available? thanks

Wow, I wish I was that young.

Have fun, it is a blast!

Eugenio -

Powerlet makes various cables for our bikes, THIS is the power cable that goes from the power socket into the iPhone. They also have a version of it that connects to the battery terminals. I believe that you would then connect the iPhone headphone jack to an audio input.

[soapbox]
BTW - I was in a similar situation as you; back to bikes after a long layoff...like, 40 years! I "reentered" on a cruiser and an MSF course or two to make sure that my skills were refreshed/relearned before I did much riding. I actually learned quite a bit in the past two years and thousands of miles! Bikes have changed and so has my mind and body. Honestly, I'm not sure that I could have reentered directly to an RT; much refinement of skills happened in two years. Of course everyone is different and, in my case, everyone is a better rider than me.

So, if you'll consider your newness to the RT and the demands of a cross-country trip, you might want to spend a bit of time with the RT before heading out. Get to know the bike and practice (muscle memory stuff) evasive maneuvers and emergency techniques. It's all about situational awareness; my pilot training helped here. There are lots of smart and experienced folks in the MOA and just reading their posts has helped me immensely in the last month.

Most importantly...be aware - be safe!
[/soapbox]

thanks for the input! I will not be making my trip until september so I have the summer to get "reacquainted" with riding. I do plan on taking an advanced safety course this summer. I do 1000 0f miles on my road bicycle yearly therefore accustomed to the "safety and survival" rules!!
As far as the audio hookup. My RT has the 2 cables input for an ipod in the storage compartment. One drives the speakers, the other is the USB port. If I connect with my apple USB port adapter the ipod will recharge but will not respond to the the controls on the handlebar. It appears there is a spacial cable put out by BMW "so it says in the manual" but my dealer has not been much help. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Ditto on taking the MSF course, beginner, intermediate and advanced. I re-entered 8 years ago, when I was 52 after being off bikes for about 30 years. I first got my MC license at 19 and, for a time, commuted to school on a bike. I considered myself a competent rider. When I took the first of the MSF courses, I realized how little I actually knew about the physics and dynamics of riding. I worked my way up from an 800cc cruiser, to a 1600cc cruiser and as of a month ago, a 2010 RT.

Enjoy your new bike.

Eugenio -

Is this the cable you're looking for:

iphonecable.png

Found in the parts fiche (fish parts?) at MAX BMW.

that looks like it!! I will call them to see if it will work on a 2010 as well (system different?) thanks for the help!!

Some notes on the bike. Incredibly smooth. Shifting a little hard (needs to be broken in? only few hundred miles), Wind screen is incredible!! I really like adjustability. From wind in my face to none and very quiet!! Bike is very well balanced!!

FWIW -- the screen shot was from the 2010 R1200RT fiche. MAX is closed on Monday but, with the part number, you should be able to get it from any BMW dealer.

Cheers!

I am from upstate NY. Just purchased 2010 R1200RT. I am 52 and getting back into motorcycling. One graduating college one starting. Time to have some fun!!

Welcome to the asylum! ;)

I'm 53 and have been riding for 40 years this spring with no layoff. In the fall of 07 I bought my first BMW, an R 1200 RT, without a doubt the most competent all around motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden, and I've been on a lot of them.

You will love the RT, just take some time to get to know it well. Even with all the seat time I've accumulated over the years, for whatever reason, it took me longer than usual to develop a comfortable level of "muscle memory" with the RT. Granted some of it is BMW's unique ideas about little things like turn signal controls, but once you don't have to think about it anymore things just fall into place and the RT feels like an extension of your body.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

thanks for the comments. I took a nice ride yesterday (100 mi) and I must say the derriere was sore despite the fact I do allot of rode cycling. After reading the comments on the "comfort seat" in another thread, I am considering purchasing one!!

thanks for the comments. I took a nice ride yesterday (100 mi) and I must say the derriere was sore despite the fact I do allot of rode cycling. After reading the comments on the "comfort seat" in another thread, I am considering purchasing one!!

Suggest you might wait on the seat option a little while. The seat breaks in and suits some people ( like me, the standard is fine):drink. Other people need a full after market seat . At the price of the "comfort seat" you might be able to get a full custom seat that is made just for you.
regards
paul:drink

Suggest you might wait on the seat option a little while...{snip}

+1

Along with the bike's seat, YOUR seat needs to be broken in! Remember what it was like getting used to the road bike seat? Now it's not so bad, is it?

Honestly, some folks just can't get a comfortable, controllable seating position but if you're in that camp after 1,000 miles, look at the Mayer or Russell seats for the same money.

I was blessed with a natural "cushion" upon which I sit. I carry it everywhere I go and, despite repeated attempts, have not yet lost it. Thus, with about 400 miles on the bike, I find myself comfortable on the OEM low seat.

YBMV

that looks like it!! I will call them to see if it will work on a 2010 as well (system different?) thanks for the help!!

Some notes on the bike. Incredibly smooth. Shifting a little hard (needs to be broken in? only few hundred miles), Wind screen is incredible!! I really like adjustability. From wind in my face to none and very quiet!! Bike is very well balanced!!

You're going to love this bike!

It is well-balanced, despite the enormous gas tank (even bigger on my '05 @ 7.1 gallons - yours has been downsized a bit) setting high in the frame, and the R1200RT provides a quiet, comfy ride.

Shifting is a bit 'clunky' due to the dry clutch desigen by BMW, but will get better with use.

Many good aftermarket seats out there - after your own seat is 'broken in' again, consider Sargent.

I applaud your desire to upgrade your skills - that's an essential 'farkle' for any returning rider - MSF offers several excellent venues.

Now, get out and ride that machine - best bike I have ever owned. :bikes

Last edited:
Where in Upstate, NY? I am returning to the Adirondacks in a week -- give me a shout if you want to ride and compare RT notes.

Steve

Back