• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet paint jobs

RavenGS

I've worn Aria helmets for some time now and really like them. However I've always wanted to either have one custom painted or do it myself. Has anyone on the forum any experiences in this area they'd like to share? :dunno

I had mine pinstriped at the rally last year, and it looks amazing. Wezul had his done - it was great! There was a thread last summer with pics of various paint jobs - maybe you could search it?

I've worn Aria helmets for some time now and really like them. However I've always wanted to either have one custom painted or do it myself. Has anyone on the forum any experiences in this area they'd like to share? :dunno

go to E-Bay and type in custom painted Arai Helmet. there is an artist, I can't recall his name that designs the paint jobs. their then put on Arai Helmets. everything from mild to wild...

Thanks for the info so far, but honestly I guess I'm more interested finding some how-to on doing it. But any info is appreciated.

Painting helmets

I do not have the paperwork with me at this time, but I do recall a warning
that came with my new Shoei Mulitec saying they should not be painted, It
most likely has something to do with some types of paint having a bad
reaction to the chemicals used to make the helmet. I would contact Arai and
ask if certain types of paint could be used without damaging the integity of the
helmet.

Another option is to use stickers, reflective in my case, to customize your head. When light hits the black they turn white. My wife claims that when driving behind me they really do make a difference, plus they ad movement as my head turns.

Just a thought...

IMG_0198.jpg

ask if certain types of paint could be used without damaging the integity of the
helmet.

This is what I've worried about the most. Seems like you can find quite a bit about painting but not much on what type paint is compatible etc. From watching racing it's quite obvious that ALOT of painting is going on but finding the right way seems a bit tricky.

helmet.

For the sake of liability, I don't think that the helmet manufacturers will be inclined to give you anything constructive. This doesn't mean that there isn't a good way to do it, just that the manufacturers won't want to take any chances with giving you ideas.

Funny too; I've seen the website for one track-day company who won't even allow stickered helmets at their events, due to the idea that maybe the sticker-adhesive might structurally degrade the shell of the helmet.

Funny paint comments:)

If the helmet cannot take some paints, how would one ever expect it to protect the head in a crash? The paint today isn't going to eat the helmet and all the plastic cars out there use it from Fibre Corvettes to plastic fenders and all else. Randy:thumb:usa

Painting Helmets

Now that I am home and have looked at the paperwork that came with my new
Shoei helmet, I will quote the warning. "We do not recommend you repaint
the helmet because paint and thinner can damage the materials used in the
helmet construction. A helmet damaged or weakened by a paint agent may
not provide head protection in an accident, resulting in serious personal
injury or death". I got my helmet in solid white and put some gold pinstripes
down the middle that I bought at an auto parts store that carries bodywork
supplies. Its surprising how something so simple can make such a difference.

ITS the liner;

The helmet interiors are paint/thinner sensitive, not the shells! Painting/spraying can actually get to the hard foam, with "careless" painting practices, so this is the mfg'ers main concern. It will harm the liners:). Randy

Back