Thread: E3 spark plugs

E3 spark plugs

I have a 1999 R1100RT

Has any one installed a set of E3 spark plugs in their? I would like to know if they made a difference with surging?

And what part number are they? My bike is the dual plug?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norsk62 View Post
    I have a 1999 R1100RT

Has any one installed a set of E3 spark plugs in their? I would like to know if they made a difference with surging?

And what part number are they? My bike is the dual plug?

Thanks
    I didn't know they made a 99 RT with duel plugs. I have a 99 RT and I cured my surging. I also use Autolight 3923 plugs.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Stock plug is OK, I tend to have pinging with them, and high RPM misfire if run hard after a couple of weeks commuting. Then they are OK.

Autolite 3923 were better, inexpensive, change every oil change and toss them.

Bosch 4417 is great. A little less surging and last longer. 4 electrode design, less spark shrouding than E3. I suspect that they do not last 7 times longer, so not a better deal than the 3923.

I suspect E3 is similar to Splitfire (remember them?), IMHO designed more to catch customers than solve problems. See FTC suit against Splitfire alleging false advertising. It will be years before we know outcome.

Customers will report better running, mileage. Well, any time you replace OLD sparkplugs with NEW this happens. Only figure of merit, is compare new OE to New Splitfire. I suspect you will see no difference, or one so slight that you never pay for the increased cost. Other figure of merit, is if they keep that new plug feeling longer. I do not know about that. I suspect no or slight improvement.

My $.02 compared to the Euro now worth more.

Rod