• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Can anyone recommend a painter in the DC Metro area?

toddlamp

I just picked up a used Parabellum Air Balance fairing (pretty good size) and want to get it painted to match my bike. I live very close to Bob's BMW but the estimate cost I was given was ~$800 plus prep. I actually like the color of the fairing better than my bike's color and for $800 I'm sure I could source all the other parts and change to the color of the fairing; i've considered it. But I would really just like to spend a couple hundred dollars and get the front painted to match.

i was hoping that someone here can recommend a painter in the DC Metro area so that I can get some additional quotes.

Thanks,

Todd

Attachments

• IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 30
Several years ago a friend of mine had a K75 painted at a place either next door to or a few doors down from Bob's on Guilford Road. I don't know the name or even if they are still in business but I remember the work being excellent and the price reasonable.

Other than that, there is a guy who constantly spams the DC Craig's List :)

EDIT - This is the place, with the green arrow.

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.133504,+-76.802371&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.751524,74.707031&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=39.133339,-76.801976&spn=0.001997,0.003433&z=18&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.133504,+-76.802371&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.751524,74.707031&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=39.133339,-76.801976&spn=0.001997,0.003433&z=18" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Initially I had a $200 quote from Bob's who, at the time exclusively used the place you suggested.

I just called back and was told the Bob's uses both that place as well as a new painter when the local guy gets backed up. I asked what he thought the pricing difference would be between the two and he said "maybe a little bit but not much".

If I could get their contact info I would probably call direct and send over some pictures.

Otherwise i'm back to square one.

Got the info for you

Bob's Bodies‎ (no relation to Bob Henig)
10660 Guilford Road, Jessup, MD 20794-9116
(410) 792-0040‎

I just called to make sure they were still open - they are indeed.

Got the info for you

Bob's Bodies‎ (no relation to Bob Henig)
10660 Guilford Road, Jessup, MD 20794-9116
(410) 792-0040‎

I just called to make sure they were still open - they are indeed.

Great thanks! I just found it myself and was curious what the connection was. Glad to see there is none.

Just called Bob's Bodies and spoke to Bob. He said that the $800 figure was definitely a bit steep but then again I had no pictures to show and they were just going by my, most likely weak, description.

I have plans to bring the actual piece by the shop on Saturday to see what he thinks.

Thanks for the help.

The price of paint and materials has gone thru the roof in the last couple of years. I had a new paint job put on my 99RT the winter before last. I bought the paint myself and spent $480.00 on 1qt primer/sealer, 1qt base white, 1qt pearl and 1 qt clear. I think the reducer was also included in that price. Paint is EXPENSIVE$$$ :violin

The price of paint and materials has gone thru the roof in the last couple of years. I had a new paint job put on my 99RT the winter before last. I bought the paint myself and spent $480.00 on 1qt primer/sealer, 1qt base white, 1qt pearl and 1 qt clear. I think the reducer was also included in that price. Paint is EXPENSIVE$$$ :violin

Geez. The cost of paint was a worry for me. Luckily this place does a ton of BMW work since they're literally next door to Bob's BMW. My color of ASTRALBLAU doesn't seem to be a common one. But I hope that since they deal with BMW's so much that they have it on hand.

Geez. The cost of paint was a worry for me. Luckily this place does a ton of BMW work since they're literally next door to Bob's BMW. My color of ASTRALBLAU doesn't seem to be a common one. But I hope that since they deal with BMW's so much that they have it on hand.

If they have it, it might be cheaper. I bought (PPG) 2009 GM Pearl White. keep in mind the Pearls are more expensive.

If they have it, it might be cheaper. I bought (PPG) 2009 GM Pearl White. keep in mind the Pearls are more expensive.

The first thing the painter asked over the phone was if mind is a metallic paint. I want to say yes but I don't have anything to compare it to. Paint code is 691.

Back