• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Bikes For Old Knees?

SHOOTER55520

Herb used to say "motorcycles don't cause arthritis." I agree but my K75s seems uncompramising this spring and my knees are looking for a less folded position. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and after an hour in the saddle My knees won't straighten fast enough. I think a different model May have a better position for a guy my size and am looking for advice. Herb might have suggested Installing more fuel capacity for less stops as it is going to be a great summer to be on a bike! Ride safe

i dunno. try this...

i'm 63 and some of my parts are starting to hurt that i didn't do anything to.
:)

Attachments

• 23010601571918-01-06_maryborough_bmw_trike.jpg
    23010601571918-01-06_maryborough_bmw_trike.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 204
You are not alone my friend.
BMW ergo's can be mean. So can other European and sport bikes.

First of all, do you have the K75 high seat or low seat? The high seat will give you about 2 more inches. If unhappy with that, then trying a custom seat (assuming that your are going to keep the bike for a while). With your inseam, you can easily swing your leg over a Russel DAy Long Saddle that is a few inches higher than the OEM high seat.

The next logical step is a foot peg lowering kit/ extended shifter.

Then comes adding floor boards. I am not that familiar with the K75. I am trying to figure out a way to "hang" floorboards from the bottom rail of my crash bars on my R1100R.

By the way, what kind of handlebars do you have? Low and forward bars will cause you to lean forward which loads up your hip flexors which also affects your knees.
Bar backs and risers? Cruising bars instead of sport bars?

When all else fails consider an R1200C (or other cruisr), and H-D XR1200, or a Suz DL650, or an R-GS, or ??

Finally, try some personal training with the focus on flexibility and challenge yourself to try a beginner Yoga class.

There are many really good used bikes out there now.
Even if you end up with a brand other than BMW, you are not allowed to leave this forum!

yoga has helped me

Yoga is excellent for un-kinking the muscles and the spine.
It is great if you're really kinky.
:D:groovy

Yoga

I am trading a day of cardio for an extra day of Yoga during the riding season.
My goal is Yoga 3 times a week.
I am not graceful. I am certainly not pretty.
There are times when i feel very awkward.
But I am getting it done.
I am one of the older ones in class. The twenty somethings can bend in places that I have forgotten about.
I feel great afterwards.

I have the same problem Shooter. Many people whine about their seats being too high, I'm just the opposite. Manufacturers seem to be raising the pegs for clearance and lowering the seat for those that feel the need to flat foot, at the expense of knee room. My GS with a little added to raise the seat, and set in the upper position is pretty good for me. Kawasaki's KLR 650 has about the most relaxed knee bend riding position as anything I've tried. But it's a 35 HP, 25 year old design, Kawasaki.

Mike:

I haven't compared the measurements to your K, but the R 1150's give you lots of leg room when the seat is set to the highest point. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam.

Back