• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Greetings

Hello everyone. I am a K-bike owner. I just adopted a 1962 R60/2 last weekend and I am very much looking forward to a fruitful relationship with this lovely machine. I have always wanted a slash two, and this one, while not perfect, has been lovingly cared for by the same owner for the past four decades. I will have some work to do. I got a chance to hang out at Darryl's house and meet a few of the Bay area guys including a great conversation with Duane. :bow I am looking forward to learning about my new bike and I hope to contribute when possible.

attachment.php

Best,

Scottie

Attachments

• DSC03300.jpg
    DSC03300.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 104
Nice ride! They are definitely fun to ride and have that classic look. And you've hooked up with some knowledgeable people in Darryl and Duane. I'm sure you were told about Vech at Benchmark Works. He has all the parts you'll need and service to match. If you call him up for a question, you'll get more than you really need from him...but that's a good thing!!

Welcome. Great picture! Classic looking bike. Hope you have fun with it. Sounds like you will have some new friends out there to help you keep it running smooth.

Thanks guys!

I love my new slash two! I have replaced the plug wires, adjusted the brakes, removed the rusty luggage rack, and a few other things.

I am still trying to figure out the proper starting technique. When it does start, it starts easily. Sometime I think I'm flooding it, other times I'm not sure the ignition is working due to the "key" not being inserted right.

I have a battery connected.

When the gen and neutral lamp is lit, is the ignition on and it's ready to fire?

When should I "tickle" the carbs and how many presses?

When should I use the air cleaner choke?

Should I shut off the petcock when the bike is parked?

Thanks!

I am still trying to figure out the proper starting technique. When it does start, it starts easily. Sometime I think I'm flooding it, other times I'm not sure the ignition is working due to the "key" not being inserted right.

I have a battery connected.

When the gen and neutral lamp is lit, is the ignition on and it's ready to fire?

Yes, the two lights should be on to indicate that the key is fully engaged. If both lights are off, you have some sort of electrical problem or the key is not fully engaged. If the gen light is off, you have a charging problem. If the neutral light is off...well you know what that is!!

Yup, this is the fun of figuring her out! Here's a sequence that I use. Turn the petcock on. Give it 5 seconds to fill the bowls. Tickle each carb at least three seconds...push and hold for a three-count. With ignition off, step through on the kick start 3-5 times. This should pull a charge into the combustion chambers. Try to find a spot in the kick rotation where you feel your on a good compression stroke. Then, ignition on, grab the throttle with your left hand and crack it about 1/8 - 1/4 turn, and kick the kicker a good thrust...not enough to reach China, but a solid rapid push. If she rumbles, use a little throttle and be ready to quickly reach down and tickle each carb for a push or two, back and forth, until she's running.

You'll just have to figure out what combination and how many of the above works for your bike. Starting when hot is/can be a whole 'nuther routine!

I think this used mostly in cold weather only once the bike is started. You'll have to experiment with that.

Yes, plus you should get into the habit of turning the petcock off 1-2 blocks from where you plan to park. Don't let the bike run completely dry, but enough to drop the level in the float bowls. This will minimze a potential rich starting condition and also stop the carb peeing these things do. By lowering the gas level, if it expands while sitting due to the residual heat from the engine, it won't be enough to "make its mark"!

Have fun!!

Yeah, but even if the battery were disconnected and the lights therefor off the bike would still be ready to fire. The battery has nothing to do with the ignition system.

As Kurt implied, your bike will tell you. My R69S told me that when cold (and I mean not cold as in not ridden in the last 6 hours or more) to turn the gas on, wait a bit, tickle for a count of 4 (about 4 seconds), then kick while just barely cracking the throttle. The variable will be in the number of seconds to tickle. Too short and the bike won't have enough gas to fire. Too long and you'll flood it.

When hot (or warm) I first try to kick the bike over before even turning on the petcock. Only if it doesn't start within two kicks will I turn on the petcock and tickle it a bit. How much tickling depends upon how long the bike has been sitting.

Eventually you'll learn what your bike likes.

In the SF Bay Area: never. Use it when below freezing.

Yes. If you don't want to stink up your garage try turning it off about 1/4 mile from home, too.

Thanks guys! That advice REALLY did the trick!

In addition to switching off the petcock prior to arriving at my destination, I also fixed a leaky left float valve. That made restarting much easier and my carb doesn't pee or flood the cylinder.

I also verified my point gap, timing and fixed a few questionable electrical issues.

The bike is starting and running great now, using the turn on petcock, wait 10 seconds, kick once, turn on ignition, kick again. Putt, putt, putt. :german

The next item I need to look into is the knock on the right cyl. If it is the rod end bushing, is it a big job to replace that. I imagine I will need to take it to a machine shop who can press in a new bushing and bore parallel to the case. Can this be done with the engine in the bike? Who does such work? What's the cost, do you think?

Best,

Scottie

In the last two weeks, I've pulled the right jug and checked the wrist pin. Is is ok. I've set the valves, changed the fluids, fixed a bunch of things, including cleaning, rebuilding and adjusting the brakes. I've replaced a broken clutch adjuster bolt. I've lubed and adjusted the swing arms bearings and head stock.

All in all the bike is running and handling great.

This weekend I put on 328 miles just putting around Northern Ca. What a lovely ride! Everything about it is lovely...the ride, the sound, the smell.

I'm addicted to traveling at 50-55 miles per hour! (My K100RT gets a little boring at that pace.) But on the R60 it is SUBLIME!! Open the face sheild and breath some air! (I need a 3/4 helmet to really enjoy this machine.)

I am looking forward to some extended rides this summer to really explore the backroads and enjoy the ride!

(I also need some luggage in a big way.)

Best,

Scottie

Back