• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

turn signal cancel switch....

xp8103

Quick question - is this a part available separately from the whole right handlebar assembly? Mine has started becoming temperamental to the point where I have to sometimes hit it several times to get the right spot where it cancels the turn signal. Used to just have to kind of bump it to get it to shut off. The MAX BMW microfiche seems to indicate that I'd have to buy the whole damned assembly for $150 just to get a new turn signal cancel switch??

Did I see the right thing or am I missing something?

If the component parts don't show in the fiche, then I'd conclude they're not available new. You can probably find a used handlebar assembly at one of the recyclers...but, being used, it might have or develop the same condition.

You could remove the assembly from the bar and a) disassemble the switch and clean the contacts, or, at least, b) flood the switch with your favorite cleaning solution while physically operating it, thus cleaning the contacts at little without removing them. Every story I've heard about disassembling other handlebar switches involves tiny screws and springs that want to fly out and disappear.

Try a little electrical parts cleaner. My headlight dimmer was the same way but responded real well with some blasts. Also, if you hit both signal switches at the same time it will have the same effect as the de-energize switch., at least it does on my 96..

On my '04 RT, the left turnsignal switch broke. Spraying stuff into the switch unit does nothing but get it messy as the switches are sealed in epoxy. I got a used assembly, removed one of the switches and grafted it into the assembly on the bike. Soldered the wire splices.
Simple. Not easy, but simple. Cheaper, too. Not to mention that now I have a supply of button switches, as there are about 4 or so in the left side switch assy. Also, the cancel button has a different feel to the "click" than the turn buttons.
I don't know when or on which models BMW started using the sealed switches.

Back