• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motobins?

jforgo

I see many of us have bought from them, so a couple questions.
Does your CC charge a fee for the currency conversion?
How do they usually ship? Parcel Post? What sort of cost?
What about import duties? Do you get a little slip from th Post Office asking for $? Or?
Thanks!

i use them when the exchange rate is advantageous, as they have a great selection of OEM stuff.

my card never charges for currency conversion, and in general, credit cards offer among the best exchange rates.

never anything from our gov't for import duties, but i've never bought anything more than a few hundred bucks. also, no VAT (so far!)

iirc, they used UPS, but my memory is foggy as it's been a long while since the dollar was strong against the pound.

i find their people pretty knowledgeable about the bikes, too. :thumb

ian

I see many of us have bought from them, so a couple questions.
Does your CC charge a fee for the currency conversion?
How do they usually ship? Parcel Post? What sort of cost?
What about import duties? Do you get a little slip from th Post Office asking for $? Or?
Thanks!

They carry stuff I haven't been able to find anywhere else (K-bike stainless steel floating brake rotor bobbins for instance) and great prices! My credit card used that day's exchange rate and no additional fees. Shipping is via postal service unless you want to pay the exorbitant UPS "international fee", which was + some $40 last time I checked. Excellent experience, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

So personal purchases seem to be import duty exempt?

Not that simple. It depends upon what you are importing. In general, motorcycle parts are duty free.

http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm -- see chapter 87. Motorcycles are subheading 8711 and motorcycle parts fall under 8714, except there's a whole bunch of parts that are not classified as parts, but instead are classified according to what they are made out of. It's complex.

If you must know the amount I suppose you can pay an import broker to find out (but that will cost much more than the likely duty).

FWIW I've never been charged import duty on motorcycle parts from Europe or Great Britain and I've been buying stuff from there for at least a dozen years, now.

Not that simple. It depends upon what you are importing. In general, motorcycle parts are duty free.

http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm -- see chapter 87. Motorcycles are subheading 8711 and motorcycle parts fall under 8714, except there's a whole bunch of parts that are not classified as parts, but instead are classified according to what they are made out of. It's complex.

If you must know the amount I suppose you can pay an import broker to find out (but that will cost much more than the likely duty).

FWIW I've never been charged import duty on motorcycle parts from Europe or Great Britain and I've been buying stuff from there for at least a dozen years, now.

Ah, yes, I remember the Customs stuff. Years ago I worked for companies which imported. My initiative to study the government materials, file classification protests, and the resultant US Treasury checks, earned me promotion.

It sounds like, as far as personal Motobins stuff goes, it is either duty free, or the revenue on small purchases is so puny, it is of no interest to US Customs.

Yowza - they have some real bargains in the classic-K clearance area! Complete clutch kit for a K75 for under $150, not bad!

Hi, All,
A little over a month ago I ordered 2 things from MotoBins. Both were on their "closeout" list. I ordered a complete instrument cluster for an ABS K75 and a complete, painted, left mirror pod and mirror. The total charged to my credit card was $303 and a few cents, which included (because the amount was over GBP75) a hefty shipping charge of nearly $40. Within less than a week of shipment, the package was delivered to me via USPS. I would DEFINITELY order again from MotoBins.

Back