• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning aluminum block

T

Tom Donnellan

Has anyone had experience in cleaning an aluminum block engine on the airhead? I have obtained some stuff called Dupont 225S, which is used as a preliminary treatment before application of paint. Primary ingredient appears to be phosphoric acid. The stuff is to be cut with equal parts water and chemical.

Please respond.

tpd

If you have the engine apart, fantastic results can be obtained with "soda blasting" Check your yellow pages and make some calls (in the "sandblasting" section).

If you don't have it apart, I'd try White Lightning brand Greased Lightning "Orange Blast" . IMHO, Simple Green and Castrol "Purple Power" are too caustic for aluminum and unless you're very careful with it, you'll end up with more corrosion after than before.
For the truly anal, you can follow the Orange Blast treatment with some kerosene dipped in a soft wire brush (brass or aluminum. Don't use steel or you'll scratch the heck out of your cases) for a spectacular finish.

"then i put it in the dishwasher"

LOL, this made my day, if you are talking about putting the engine block itself in the dishwasher

Tom Donnellan said:
Has anyone had experience in cleaning an aluminum block engine on the airhead? I have obtained some stuff called Dupont 225S, which is used as a preliminary treatment before application of paint. Primary ingredient appears to be phosphoric acid. The stuff is to be cut with equal parts water and chemical.

Please respond.

tpd

If you are trying to clean dirt and oil residue away, I wouldn't us any cleaner that contains acid.

If you are trying to rid the block of oxidation, then maybe. If you use an acid cleaner on a block that is still bright due to clear anodizing, then you will eat away at the anodized layer using the acid.

BubbaZanetti said:
"then i put it in the dishwasher"

LOL, this made my day, if you are talking about putting the engine block itself in the dishwasher

Yeah, that sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke or something: "If you've ever put an engine block in your dishwasher..."

Shoe Gene

FLASH412

How can I tell if a woman has the Shoe Gene or not? I want one like you got.

Bruce

I think mine has the "recessive" rather than the "dominant" shoe gene. it is there, but just barely. she still likes cars and bikes almost as much as me. :)

Hello; for cleaning the engine I use Gojo hand ckeaner and a stiff brush followed by a good water rinse. It'll remove the stains but not the paint. The stuff I have has a grit in it, but I have seen it without grit and would use that too if it is what I had. I have used this technique on quite a few model airplane engines which stain up with castor oil residue which is real tough to remove. Nakes a nice smell too.

Tom Donnellan said:

Please respond.

tpd

This stuff is the active ingredient in Navel Jelly. It reacts with ferous oxide (rust) to form ferous phospate which is stable enough to paint. It is intended for use with steel, and I can't say what its reaction with aluminum would be. Try putting it in your wife's shoes

Back