• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150RT - Black Cannsister on right side of bike.

JochenWoern

Hello,
Has anyone ever removed this ugly looking black cannister tube thing on the right side of the bike? Located on the right rear underneath the passenger seat, tucked away behind a plastic trim piece/cover?
I understand this is only there for emmission laws? Is that correct? In CA, motorcycles do not require SMOG, so can this unit be removed as I think it is butt ugly.
If it can be removed, will the performance and/or reliability of the bike suffer? If not, does anyone have an exact procedure as to HOW to remove and properly modify this thing?

Many thanks in advance.

according to my dealer (Charlotte, N.C.) canaster can be removed with no ill effects. simply extend the hose that connects to the canaster downword as a drain. did you know that the police version (RTP) does not come with a canaster. at least thats what I've been told...

Removing the canister will improve your bikes reliability. The canister contains activated charcoal and captures vapors from the tank - if you overfill the tank and flood the canister the resulting sludge can potentially be sucked into the throttle bodies. Eliminating the canister eliminates the possibility of this happening.

As recommended by Mark, do it the way Gary Wasserman describes on the IBMWR.ORG website, otherwise you may wind up with the throttle bodies sucking in unfiltered air (the hoses that run to the TBs from the canister should be replaced with caps.

linky: http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/cannister_horn.shtm

Hold on to the cannister!!!! CA

Starting in 2011 Motorcycles in California will be subject to California Emission Tests bi annually to get registration The ispection will be a visual inspection only with NO tailpipe test on bikes from 1998 to present We are looking for catalytic convers removed, emission systems that are suppose to be there and that includes yoru canister which is part of the EVAP system. The only ill effects of removing it beside breaking CA smog laws will be the computer system expects to purge the fumes of gasoline out of the canister into the engine to burn If it does not get the fumes out of the canister to burn it can run lean, especially from 2002 bikes on up.
Dr Dave

I just pulled mine last night. I'm going to do a full report in another tread "Surging means needs service". It was so easy to do - I didn't even need to pull the plastic side panels off the bike.

A piece of 2" pvc pipe can be put in that location to hold small tools, etc. Use the same clamp as for the canister.
Glue a cap on one end and use a screw cap on the other. Paint it black. Still ugly, but useful.

Starting in 2011 Motorcycles in California will be subject to California Emission Tests bi annually to get registration The ispection will be a visual inspection only with NO tailpipe test on bikes from 1998 to present We are looking for catalytic convers removed, emission systems that are suppose to be there and that includes yoru canister which is part of the EVAP system. The only ill effects of removing it beside breaking CA smog laws will be the computer system expects to purge the fumes of gasoline out of the canister into the engine to burn If it does not get the fumes out of the canister to burn it can run lean, especially from 2002 bikes on up.
Dr Dave

Now I have truly heard (read) it all. You honestly think fumes drawn from the carbon canister will make your motor run richer by any detectable amount??

Tire pump

I like Jeff's idea...might be a good place for a small container for my always-with-me mini air pump!!!:clap

Removing the canister needs to be done properly so that unfiltered air is not being constantly drawn through the fuel tank. Besides capturing the escaping vapors to be recycled, I believe the charcoal acts as an air filter for air entering the fuel tank. Removal will cause more dust to enter the tank over time. Every gallon of burnt fuel is replaced by a gallon of outside air in the tank. Is this a significant worry? Probably not, but I leave mine intact and just make certain I don't overfill the tank.

I have left my canister intact. My other bikes do not have one and the garage always smells of gasolene fumes. I am wondering how to add the canisters to my other bikes. Should be plenty of used canisters on this list. :) I ride almost every day and parking a hot bike in the garage causes the fuel to heat up and spew fumes. Tired of the smell and tired of polluting myself when I work in the garage. Any better ideas?

I love the smell of petroleum in the morning! :sick
I have a fan mounted in the garage for hot or smelly days.

As I reported in the other forum, I just pulled mine. Coupled with the removal of the "cat code plug" from the fuse box, my bike doesn't surge any more.

I could not care less about the other worries, given that my engine now revs smoothly through all RPMs - including between 3500 and 4000 RPM, where it used to surge the worst.

In my book, nothing else matters.

Back