• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Screws or rivetts?

georgej

I want to attach the stock windscreen to my '78 RS. I've used the plastic/nylon screws before,but was wondering how the rivetts might work. I was at Lowe's looking around at some stuff and came across screw rivetts and push rivetts,both black plastic. Is this what the rivetts from BMW are like? Seems like it would be easier to intall,it's pretty tough getting the nut on that screw when you get up behind the clock and voltmeter. Any opinions from those that have used or tried both.

Screws or rivets

I have nylon/plastic nut and screw setup on both my RS's. I would stick with that setup myself. My understanding is in case of accident / tip over the screws will break off upon impact. Kevin:brow

my replacement clearview came with plastic nuts and screws. the original had rivits, and what a pain in the butt to take off

I'd go with nylon bolts and nuts. If the worse should happen, you want the puppy to break off not snap in pieces leaving sharp shards to skewer you.

I think it speaks highly of BMW to have been using polycarbonate - even in the '70's - in their windshields. I've always been leery of aftermarket junk made from acrylic - dangerous to say the least.

After drilling out the original rivets out of my 77 RS I vowed to never again use those in my windshield. I use stainless steel screws and nuts to secure my windshield to the fairing / dash.

The shields still break;

The nylons will not prevent a shield(split), breakoff,imo. Maybe in some cases, but certainly not all. I've been there, done it:(. Randy:usa

Sex Bolts
Sex bolts (a.k.a. barrel nuts or Chicago bolts) have a female thread and are used for through bolting applications where a head is desired on both sides of the joint. Mating Screws
Mating screws have a shoulder that matches the diameter of the sex bolts they are used with.

These come in various sizes and the sex bolt can be pushed through from the back side. A couple of rubber washers and you should be good to go.

The OE rivets will not break anyone's bank and they're an infinitely safer solution as they'll pull out in an accident whereas nuts/bolts will simply cause something to break, creating sharp edges and greater liklihood of injuries.

Yes, with these the hollow copper rivets are required to mount the dash.

Life just isn't this complicated expect perhaps for the fact BMW parts aren't found at Home Depot.

Attachments

• polydvdw.jpg
    polydvdw.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 154
The OE rivets will not break anyone's bank and they're an infinitely safer solution as they'll pull out in an accident whereas nuts/bolts will simply cause something to break, creating sharp edges and greater liklihood of injuries.

Life just isn't this complicated expect perhaps for the fact BMW parts aren't found at Home Depot.

I hate it when you're right ... but you're right.

The OEM split rivets are simple to remove (Push the center through and collect it on the backside.) and they're equally simple to install. The most difficult part of the job is finding a punch the right size for pushing through. The second most difficult is pushing the very occasional stubborn pin into the rivet.

The job is a little more difficult with the slightly thicker Clearview shield, but it isn't hard. IMHO, the larger holes in the Clearview call for a washer, making the rivets a little harder to reinstall, but even then, it only takes about a half hour to swap shields using the rivets.

Rivets Or . . . . . .

When my RS goes back together I'm using the original copper rivets to hold the dash to the fairing (bought the BMW tool years ago - "buy the tool when you need it and you will have it next time" my dad - an old farmer) and the BMW plastic rivets to hold the shield on. I have noticed the plastic rivets allow for some movement in the shield, don't know why that's important but the BMW engineers did. :brow

On my RT I got BMW rivets to attach "dashboard" to fairing. I need a special pair of pliers to get it on. Any more info on that "special tool". Is it a BMW-only tool? Any part-number on it?
Sincerely
Hans
Norway

Back