• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 Rally-Bloomsburg,Pa.

the site also got looked at ~10 years ago, but didn't have some of the required facilities.

For some unknown reason, the idea of a state/county fairgrounds in PA was never similar to that in the Mid-west. In Centre County, they have the Grange Encampment and Fair which is several thousand people tenting and RV'ing for a week. Surprisingly, it wasn't until the very late 70's or early 80's that flush toilets and showers were installed. The Bloomsburg fairgrounds was by all accounts much better, but still coming from a PA Dutch standard (pretty bare bones relative to a midwest fair).

This might sound really bad, but the Midland Rally facilities were pretty nice. The stalls were very clean and provided nice shaded camping. In addition, the livestock prep areas were great shower facilities with copious amounts of warm water. Of course, for us modest folks, you did need a something like a swimsuit.

Yeah, that's something to boast about in our legal code. Right up there with 14 as the minimum age for legal marriage, if pregnant.

Let's not get too alarmist about the hotel situation. Danville is nearby with a plethora of chain hotels to support the medical center and the northern tier is primarily dependent on tourist income these days, so there's an excess of hotel space. Please keep in mind that this stretch of I80 routinely handles a large chunk of the 110,000-fans that attend PSU football games, so hotel space isn't that challenging.

I81 down to one lane this summer between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton? Why am I much less than surprised.
+1 :thumb

PennDOT has it one lane from Wilkes-Barre to Dorrance for bridge repair in the southbound lane starting soon. I think RT 81 was never completed in my lifetime.

The hotels were a past issue since the sacred number had to be within a 25 mile radius. I doubt beer sales in Bloomsburg would hamper past selection since its a course requirement among the student population.

In fairness you know how members are, if they have to drive ten miles or more from the hotel to the rally site they will complain about it. True, Penn State can handle 110,000 football fans but its 90 miles from Bloomsburg. I know there are plenty of Hotels between here and there but most are on the interstate. Danville ( near Geisinger Health System ) hotels are for families visiting the sick, and people caught in past construction, and remember Life Flight flys 24/7 and they have 5 helicopter making noise, no worse than truck traffic. I will have it scouted over time from Hazleton top of the 80's, Selinsgrove, Danville, Milton, Lewisburg, Light Street area north of Bloomsburg, Sullivan County to Wilkes-Barre with direct routing to scenic ways to arrive. One thing I like about Pennsylvania, it offers lots of roads. And there is plenty of State Park Camping for early arrivals.

Ian, Lots of dirt options available, there is a MOA member run MSF Dirt Bike School nearby, Hermys ran GS rides in the coal and Dutch borders region. The Pocono Test Dummies the step children of the Black Diamond Club ( out of Two Jacks BMW ) rides off road in the Poconos and Delaware Highlands. BMW USA to Max, Bergen County to Bobs BMW could get involved, there is a dirt bike track and a former GS Challenge site near Williamsport in a town called Mill Hall http://www.durtydabbers.com/ , or just run routes from the site, your typical follow the leader with a stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and there is the infield to do what our members do best. I was hoping BMW would get away from GSsing and lets take the R 1000 SS to Turbo-ville. :eek

+1 :thumb

The hotels were a past issue since the sacred number had to be within a 25 mile radius. I doubt beer sales in Bloomsburg would hamper past selection since its a course requirement among the student population.

Bloomsburg U isn't very big (~3K students) and many of those are commuters. I would also anticipate that most of the surrounding townships are dry. Remember this is the land of the PA Dutch......the folks that were asked to leave Germany by their neighbors.

Ian, Lots of dirt options available, there is a MOA member run MSF Dirt Bike School nearby, Hermys ran GS rides in the coal and Dutch borders region. The Pocono Test Dummies the step children of the Black Diamond Club ( out of Two Jacks BMW ) rides off road in the Poconos and Delaware Highlands. BMW USA to Max, Bergen County to Bobs BMW could get involved, there is a dirt bike track and a former GS Challenge site near Williamsport in a town called Mill Hall http://www.durtydabbers.com/ , or just run routes from the site, your typical follow the leader with a stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and there is the infield to do what our members do best. I was hoping BMW would get away from GSsing and lets take the R 1000 SS to Turbo-ville. :eek

As a landowner whose neighbors have had bad experiences with this Mill Hall "trail ride", please remember your manners and don't be surprised if you find yourself on someone's property as an uninvited guest. Also, some people rely on those dirt roads for regular transportation, don't be a jerk.........leave them in good shape.

Bloomsburg U isn't very big (~3K students) and many of those are commuters. I would also anticipate that most of the surrounding townships are dry. Remember this is the land of the PA Dutch......the folks that were asked to leave Germany by their neighbors.

As a landowner whose neighbors have had bad experiences with this Mill Hall "trail ride", please remember your manners and don't be surprised if you find yourself on someone's property as an uninvited guest. Also, some people rely on those dirt roads for regular transportation, don't be a jerk.........leave them in good shape.

Bloomburg runs summer classes which could be a dorm housing issue.

Mill Hall trail riders group runs a Dual Purpose bike event........I was never up there to see what they are about. I think BMW may have had a bike release event there or one down near Tremont at an offroad park.

There is a good fire road in Central that takes you up toward the back side of Rickets Glen State Park with little residencial impact. Then off of Rt 487 you can take the old narow gauge railroad track, now a trail to Noxen. Little or no landowner impact just a fire road through the woods. Great for beginners to intermediate riders. I am not sure of the Coal region, Pocono, and Dutch Border possibilities and of course most is private.

Last I was on the State Game Land roads there were many closed gates so access is another issue. I certainly don't want to see a train of GS bikes playing crack the whip, nor blocked on a road.

GS events could be taken care of at the infield on the grounds as they were at Johnson City.

Bloomburg runs summer classes which could be a dorm housing issue.

Mill Hall trail riders group runs a Dual Purpose bike event........I was never up there to see what they are about. I think BMW may have had a bike release event there or one down near Tremont at an offroad park.

There is a good fire road in Central that takes you up toward the back side of Rickets Glen State Park with little residencial impact. Then off of Rt 487 you can take the old narow gauge railroad track, now a trail to Noxen. Little or no landowner impact just a fire road through the woods. Great for beginners to intermediate riders. I am not sure of the Coal region, Pocono, and Dutch Border possibilities and of course most is private.

Last I was on the State Game Land roads there were many closed gates so access is another issue. I certainly don't want to see a train of GS bikes playing crack the whip, nor blocked on a road.

GS events could be taken care of at the infield on the grounds as they were at Johnson City.

Statdawg, I don't live in the town of Central, but I agree that Rickett's Glen is a must see for that part of PA. If we have had good rainfall and the stream is healthy, the series of falls is really nice. A small version of Buttermilk falls in Ithaca and Watkins Glen, NY.

Relative to the roads on the state game lands and forests, I suggest the following website http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/index.aspx. While not a GS'er, I do most of my riding near the Sproul and Tiadaghton forests.

Don't forget the fishing in PA, especially fly fishing for trout. It's been a while since I lived and fished in PA, but there are plenty of nice streams, some world class, within a day's ride.

Don't forget the fishing in PA, especially fly fishing for trout. It's been a while since I lived and fished in PA, but there are plenty of nice streams, some world class, within a day's ride.

Spruce Creek in Huntingdon County?

Great thoughts so far !

Fishing Creek in Benton and Bowmans Creek near Noxen are nice ones.

Little Schuylkill River is to the southeast and close to Hermys BMW. www.riversflyfishing.com/little_schuylkill_river.php

I have not heard who is chairing the rally nor the dates, anyone ?

Think about doing some forum rider reports that could end up in ON. Tell us about your facorite Pa area or way to the rally. Lets try and keep people off the slab.

Whoo hoo! I'm there!

And since I'm reasonably local, I'll be glad to help out. Where do I sign up?

Whoo hoo! I'm there!

And since I'm reasonably local, I'll be glad to help out. Where do I sign up?

I would guess that won't be ready until after the upcoming Redmond rally. After that, when they get the 2011 rally page up and running, you can look for information there or email the rally chairs who can point you to the correct person. Better yet would be to contact the committee chair in charge of the area you want to volunteer in. I suggest working registration - I had a great time when I did it in West Bend!

I have not heard who is chairing the rally nor the dates, anyone ?

July 21-24, 2011

The question as to whom will be the Rally Chair(s) was asked during the live webcast..and was told that announcement would be at the Redmond Rally

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

Back