• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jump Bike From Car

back to the tupperware & screws question- a neat trick is to take some medium grade cardboard and draw a rough diagram of the bike (not necessary, but it's a way to pass the time in the winter). insert the screws thru the cardboard in the approximate locations, even labeling if necessary. makes retrieval and reinsertion way easy.
you can use the same system for spray painting the screw heads.
my $.02

bmwmick said:
That is correct for a lot of them. The Tender needs to see about 9V before it will start it's routine.

Just for information, I have a stack of five 12-Volt Yuasa sealed lead-acid batteries from a UPS at work (model REW45-12FR). One battery went bad. The others were sitting at 5.75 VDC. I used a Yuasa "Smart-Shot" 1.5A Battery Tender and recharged the good ones with no problem. Nice little unit.

Couple items to clarify on this thread. First, all 12v batteries are really 13.2. Cars and motorcycles. 2.2v per cell. The size of the battery is capacity, not voltage. Second, when jumping, as someone mentioned, there is no need to have the donor car running, as the capacity of its battery is more than enough to fire up a bike. On the other hand, when it is running, and charging, it will be putting out about 14.2v, the same as our bikes will. The current draw will be whatever the bike needs, and no more, no matter how big the donor battery might happen to be.
Finally, when you do jump, be sure to connect the positive lead first, and then the negative lead. Disconnect in reverse order.

Go ahead and jump start it from a car, but DO NOT have the car engine running. I have seen bikes (not BMWs, but still) in my mechanic days where the electronics got fried from all the juice a car charging system puts out.

That is because some bikes use a shunt type voltage regulator. Good advice.

Oilhead/Hexhead BMWs use a car style alternator. The new water cooled boxers and all the F's use shunt type regulators.
Most Japanese bikes as well.

When my F800GS battery crapped out on a ride, I jumped from a vehicle not running (always my first choice) then with the car running....All went fine. I find good, solid connections to be the key to success for any battery jump attempts.
OM

Looks like this thread illustrates that Forum posts (even those 14 years old) bring wisdom and expand knowledge.

Are you saying it's ok to jump start from a car through your charging cable?

I also bought one of those battery packs with an SAE connector and used that.
I also used it to jump start my truck, it also came with alligator clips.
I have never tried from a car.
This was just a reference so you won't have to take off all the tupperware next time.

Are you saying it's ok to jump start from a car through your charging cable?

The answer is no, unless the wire is 10 gauge or larger. Even 10 gauge is minimal. As shown in that link the 16 gauge wire would melt in a few seconds except for the 10 amp fuse which would melt sooner. For hooking up a charger or heated gear, OK. For jump starting, not a chance.

Back