• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gainesville, Florida -- November 27, 2004

Visian

look out!!!
Haven't posted a ride report in a while... been riding, but working too much, too.

We visited the family over the Thanksgiving holiday, and I had the opportunity to trailer a bike down there for the trip. My fave, the R80G/SPD+

With the detailed maps of Alachua County loaded into the GPS, I set out to do something I hadn't done since I was a student at UF nearly 30 (ugh) years ago. Then I used to take my Bultaco Matador Six-Day "nature trailing"... finding as many dirt roads as possible in a day's ride. Back then there were no GPS and I used to have a great time getting unbelievably lost.

Heading south along the eastern edge of Payne's Prairie, I worked my way down to Micanopy... just south of Gainesville. I just had to park the scooter out in front of one of the town's more historical locations, Cafe Risque... where "We Dare to Bare."

risque.jpg

Fortunately for the locals, I kept my Aerostich on. ;)

Heading west, I found some great sand roads out toward Williston. Man, it's great blasting down these at 70.

sandroad.jpg

Working my way north, I stopped for an hour or so at one of my *favorite* motocross tracks, the legendary Gatorback. Man, motocross bikes sure have changed since the days I rode there on my Pursang.

gatorback.jpg

The "Mini-O's" were in process and there were easily a couple thousand motorhomes, pick-up trucks and trailers packed with kids, bikes, moms and dads. Made me wish that I was still going there with my son. He won a 250B race there once. Scared the livin' crap outta me going up "The Elevator" a 70' jump upward onto the gator's back, where you land, stop and turn right all in the space of about 15' after landing.

Heading northwest toward and through Alachua, I stumbled across a classic road.

gs_trees.jpg

This road went for about 5 miles inbetween all these fantastic live oak trees... and cow pastures. Most excellent.

The rest of the day was spent puttering around roads like this. I shoulda stopped and taken a few more pictures.

Most people think that riding in Florida is about the beach. There are some great roads in the interior, and I found more than a couple of them this day.

Ian

Great post! :thumb .That area of Florida is very nice. Micanopy is where they filmed 'Doc Holywood' and it is classic old Forida.
Glad you could enjoy those roads again! :bliss

Neat report

Thanks for the pictures and the great ride report. You're right, that's not what most of us think of when we think about riding in FL. Your report really helped, since we're getting snow and freezing temperatures right now in Michigan, and it's nice to know the sun is shining someplace! :wow

Michigan off-roading

Sorry to hear you're snow bound.

I really must get back up to all those great trails in northern Michigan and the UP.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Ian

:brow
cr6fh.jpg

Going to a horse show this weekend in Gainesville, may have to take the bike and take a little ride. :thumb

Last edited:
I'll be in Gainesville for Christmas

Heading down next Tuesday, taking the 1150GS for some riding around! :clap

Supermoto... post a pic of your CRF450!

Ian

Sweet!

Thanks! What track is that?

I just showed these to my son and told him that if he doesn't get his butt on *his* CRF, I'm going to turn it into a SuperMoto bike.

I'd like to have one of the CRX450s done up this way, then get it a license plate through nerfarious means and terrorize the N. Ga. mountains with it.

Ian
(down in FL right now, trying to coax my wife onto the back of the 1150 to ride to Bradenton. But it's 40 degrees right now... dang that Weather Channel!)

Back