• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What kind of connection do you have?

What kind of connection do you have?

• I dunno. I surf at work. :dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a cable modem

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • I have DSL

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I have dial up

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • I have a satellite connection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Down under in the Keys there was a time when all we had was dial up, as it depended on how far south you lived from Miami. I now have DSL. :clap Some area's in FL still have dial up only!! :cry

1.5 meg DSL

My little town in northern Illinois was slow to get DSL. As soon as Starband began installing satelite modems in my area I jumped at it. I put up with the dropped connections everytime it snowed and rained because it was still faster than dial up when it worked. Then a few years ago, Covad began supplying DSL over what SBC considered sub standard telephone lines. Worked for me, no problems. :clap

Only one DSL provider in my neck of the woods, and at 45/month I'm still crawling along with dial-up. Hopefully, sooner than later, I can join the real world.

I got cable, and lots of spped. The way my housing development is laid out, I am the only one on the cable loop. It is mainly a result of me not sprining for digital cable, so I have a special wire out to my house from the pedestal and I am the only one on it. It is faster than the two T1's at the office.
bolt.gif

Although I'm only 5.5 miles from beautiful downtown Santa Cruz, I'm still over 4 miles from the CO, so no DSL (even though that's how I voted).

Also, the cable ends over 2 miles from my house, and when I asked, I was quoted $4/foot to get it installed. So, no cable, either.

I put up with expensive ($150/mo), relatively slow (128kb) ISDN for a while, but a couple years ago I got connected to a radio ISP. Although they are selling me 256kb symetric service, I have learned that they actually have no way (other than simply turning me off) of throttling my connection. I routinely get 800kb service, and have seen peaks over 2Mb.

The only real down side is that my ISP (gatespeed) uses Above.Net for their backbone connection. Above.Net apparently has managed to piss off a lot of people by not taking action against spammers, so their entire range of IP numbers appear in the SPEWS database. Which includes my computer. So, sometimes my emails get dropped in the bit bucket by ISPs that use SPEWS to filter email. C'est la vie.

I have a cable modem (RoadRunner)..... :bolt ...I had dial up before moving in this house......Never Again.....Definitely Too Slow.....

I have numerous connections, but I don't like to flaunt it. (not to mention that I'd have to kill you). My SO also has contacts but again it's considered bad taste to tout them too much :D
Oh! You mean internet connections!!! Well, lets see, there is a little wire that runs from the back of my PC into the wall, from there I haven't the foggiest idea where it goes, seems to work OK though......

RM

Dial-up at home, but...

I have a 100 Meg/sec office connection to an internet hub, being on an .edu site. My home is less than 5 minutes by car or 12 minutes by foot (about 0.6 mile) from the office, so I don't ride to work. It takes longer to gear up for riding than it does to drive to the office. Being so close, and going to the office nites and weekends too, I never thought it worth the $$ to do other than dial-up at home. Have one of those minimal ISP sites for $8.95 per month and they bill my credit card.

This site is slow on dial-up, but so is everything else. This one is worth waiting for, however. :thumb

Given the above, I don't know how to vote, so I didn't. :doh

tb

Last edited:
Living on the edge of a town provides a "trailing edge" lifestyle for me as far as technology goes. And even though my office is in the heart of downtown and I can open my window and throw a rock at the CO across the alley, twenty feet away, it's not a technology wonderland either. There are wireless receiver sites available for home or office, and coincidentally, the cable company rep showed up at the house at 5:30 pm last night offering cable-based Internet access (finally). We just finally changed from dial up to DSL at home and at the office. However, even though that's what I voted, you should know it's not high throughput. (For $17,000 a month I could outfit this eleven-person office with a screamin' line, but that's not gonna happen.)

I still have the cheesie old dial-up. I actually don't have a problem with it, except when you want to view a thread with lots of photos. Then it's hurry up and wait. I have three sons that would live on the net if it was always connected, and my wife thinks this is one way of regulating their time online. Maybe mine too, huh?

i complained that i did not have wi-fi, then i met a man who had only dial-up.

Out here in the midwest hinterlands we are still using smoke signals. Next week they should be installing the string and dixie cup, they are saying by July we should be up to a tin can and string.

For some reason I want to say 110 volt, but that wasn't one of the choices?
Mark

I've been enjoying a cable modem for several years now. I also have the luxury of using a custom built PC, assembled and set up by a local guy known affectionately as the "mad scientist". I can actually tell which web sites are hosted on fast servers, and which are not.

I've got the power

Having only had cable for less than a month, I'm not ashamed to flaunt it. I NOW feel dial up is like riding the Iron Butt on a Moped. :brow Sorry I just couldn't resist. :stick

Back