• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R80/7 Restoration

tefird

I just bought a 1978 R80/7 literally stored in a barn and not ridden since 1993. It is complete with dealer installed Luftmeister fairing, owners manuals, tool kit, hand pump etc. Unfortunately, it was stored with the Bing carburetors off and the ports to the heads open and exposed. It is poorly painted red although I don't think red was available for this model and year. See attached photo. This is my first airhead and first restoration.
Anything remarkable I should know about this bike?
I know this forum is a great source of help but what other resources should I use in this restoration effort?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 155
Well, lets see...
Hi!

Your bike is a pretty common model but by 1978 BMW had figured out most of the weaknesses in the design and electrical systems and those are good bikes. The 800cc engine is an update of the old 750 and while not the most powerful, it is probably the smoothest Airhead out there and the 750s and 800s have almost a cult following among some guys for good reason. I have had one of almost every engine that BMW produced and while I perfer the power of the 900s the 750 is a real nice power plant!

Parts are readily available hrer and there. Ebay is your friend. Make a list of what you need and start watching Craigs List auctions. In general prices are increasing again but deals can be had.

For service parts, I like Chicago BMW for their 20% discount, despite the fact that it takes a couple weeks to get stuff but Hucky's is a great source and he can get stuff out very quickly if you ask for Priority shipping.

Since this is your first time around, I'm going to suggest that you get a Clymers manual and make it you bedtime reading for a while. I also want to suggest that you join www.advrider.com. You'll find lots of helpful Airhead guys over there wo'll be happy to answer your questions and the board is very active, with stickied threads concerning parts substitutions, Tips and tricks, etc. Try it. You'll like it!

There are a raft of helpful web sites that you'll want to cruise (Snowbum's, Duane Ausherman's, Boxerworks.com, rockerboxer.com, etc.) but the best thing going is the www.airheads.org. This is a National club dedicated to our beloved bikes. Join up, attend a couple of tech sessions, buy a few beers and you'll have all of the help and camaraderie that you could ask for. :thumb

Once you understand whats going on, the bikes are very straight forward but while simple in design, the engine/drive train is built to exacting tolerances (Those pesky Germans!), so don't dig into it, thinking that it's just like working on a SB Chevy. It's not and not only are parts a bit pricy but repairing blunders can easily cost more than a running bike is worth.

Oh... And while I'm thinking about value.... Keep and eye on your local market to get an idea of what a similar bike is worth in good condition. Theres no sense in spending thousands more than it's worth to restore an old bike and I say that having done it myself, with no regrets!

Good luck!

I would add...

Read and study SnoBum's site for loads of detail information on these bikes.
Lots of info and parts are easy to aquire... go at it and save this baby.

Were you able to procure the carbs, elbows, starter cover ,and air box with your purchase.

I am rebuilding a 750/7. If I can help let me know.

Jim, Ketchikan, AK.

Get on it...keep the receipts but DON'T add 'em up...ever...

Airhead #85: Thanks for the good general overview. Now I've got enough to keep me busy for awhile.

gertiektn: Fortunately, I have all of the parts not shown in the photo. I am starting by replacing all the fluids, filters, hardened rubber connectors, break and fuel lines, etc. and will need to service the carburetors. Thanks for your reply.

Back