• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 windshield material and scratch removal

WalterK75

I have an original 1991 windshield with the side wings. The windshield is scratched and I'd like to polish it and get rid of some of these marks. What I want to know before getting any polishing stuff, is what material is used to make this windshield? Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ntoc.php?sec=cs&cat=windshieldrestoration) claim to have products which will remove scratches, but I should know what material was used to make the windshield so I get the right product.

If any of you have used Aircraft Spruce products I'd also like some feedback on whether they work.

Winshield Scratches

walterK75 - After 40 years in avaition, I can tell you that if you have more than light swirling marks on you winshield (no scratches that you can feel with your finger nail) the polishing product that Aircraft Spruce is selling will not get them out. You will need to sand out the scratches using progressively finer sand paper until you will be able to then buff & polish the final sanding. Start with about 180 grit and work your way to 2000 grit.

This is no small task, hours and much patience will be needed.

Good Luck!

BeachGuy

Thanks BeachGuy. I'm thinking now that I'll just leave the scratches and do what I have been doing, that is looking over the top. There seem to be many suggestions on other forums about this, but whether any of them would actually work on my windshield is unknown.

Thanks for the feedback.

Overlook scratches by looking over windshield

I believe this windshield was designed to be looked over not through.
The view through the windshield is distorted as I recall, currently not using stock windshield, replaced years ago with now hard to find Parabellum Fairing.

windshield stuff

I have light swirls on my windshield and I use Plexus to clean them. This is a fantastic product. It fills in the swirls and brightens us the windshield. The windshield looks clean and clear. I've seen it at BMW dealerships. I really makes the windshield look great.

Try Lemon Pledge for light swirls...I've been using it for years. Only problem is you may be visited by Honey Bees!

Back