• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New website for plotting your route

C

charliebrown

The search function came up with no matches, so I thought I would let everyone know about a new website I use for plotting routes and downloading them to my Garmin.

www.Ridewithgps.com

I know you can plot a route using google or mapquest, but as a Macintosh user, neither one was very intuitive and user friendly. RWGPS will allow you to plot your route, then (after registering) download your route to your computer and transfer over to your GPS. Very easy on my Mac. Right now I only see Garmin products supported, but Magellan and cell phones may be supported at some point (disclaimer, I haven't investigated other brands other than Garmin).

At first I wasn't sure how to transfer my route, but you can download it as a .gpx file, attach your gps (zumo 550 in my case) via USB cable, then drag and drop the .gpx file into the GPX folder. Disconnect the gps and you are all set.

Very easy and free.

wow, this is nice!

they even show that where I-40 is closed in western NC.... that is very useful.

thanks for posting.

ian

as a Mac user this seems to be much faster then either Garmin Road Trip or Basecamp. thanks for posting this, i plan to use this for an upcoming trip to MN in the next few weeks.

Okay, I've been playing around with it also, and find it quite easy to plot with.
However, I think I need some advice on how to load a map into a garmin.
Do you have to have an SD card in the GPS first?

Thanks,

Okay, I've been playing around with it also, and find it quite easy to plot with.
However, I think I need some advice on how to load a map into a garmin.
Do you have to have an SD card in the GPS first?

Thanks,

SD card not required.

On my Mac, after building and downloading a route, a .gpx file will appear in my "downloads" folder (or wherever you happen to specify). After plugging in my Zumo 550, a hard drive icon will appear on my desktop named "Garmin". Double click on the icon and a window will open up showing one or more folders. (I have two). One folder is named "Garmin". Open that folder. A new window will open containing a bunch of folders and other stuff. Open the "GPX" folder. That is where all the routes are stored. Go back to your "downloads" folder on your computer, then drag and drop the .gpx file you downloaded earlier into the GPX folder. Close all the windows and eject the Garmin hard drive icon. Disconnect your GPS and you should be all set.

Tyre

Similar output to TYRE (trace your route everywhere) but better input handling.
TYRE, on the other hand, support TomTom as well as Garmin
http://www.tyre.tk/

Very Nice! I love the elevation graph and it's route trace!

I may have missed how to display the travel time and how to "move" a segment of a route by dragging. Perhaps the features are hidden?

Easy download to my Garmin!

Thanks for the find!

Back