• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is it worth going without a bike?

richardak

I'm thinking of going to the Redmond rally but am unable to ride the bike down (exhaust valve issues). Not having attended one of these before, I'm not sure what to expect. Is it worth going without a bike? :scratch

Richard, a confession. I seldom, if ever ride my bike while at the National; I just wander around for days, wide eyed, in amazement at all of the dealers' farkles. (Many of these vendors actually ask me for my autograph.) Of course there are bundles of seminars to take in from basic repair, more complicated repairs, riding techniques, packing seminars and many, many more. By not riding it gives me time to check out all the neat bikes and how they have been customized to make each different from everyone else's. As well, there should be some time left over to help the organizers by volunteering at registration, traffic control or where ever they need extra hands. On site entertainment has always been excellent. You don't need a bike to take in the entertainment. Did I mention there will be people you know who you didn't expect to be there? Lots of time is needed for conversations. There are people there who you will meet and strike up interesting conversations on a variety of topics; almost everyone is extremely friendly and willing to share their experiences with you. The folks that you camp near will become your new tribe for the duration of the rally. Don't forget to vote for the bikes that riders have put on display for competition. As well, there is a vintage bike display, new BMW bikes to take for test rides and ride demonstrations as well as field events. Field event participants need an audience. Did I mention that these are all covered by your admission fee?

Don't forget one major advantage of taking a cage to the rally; you'll be able to buy bundles of bike farkles that you can carry home in your spacious vehicle to put onto your bike when you get home.

Do not let your motorcycle prevent you from enjoyable a great time with such a large gathering of like-minded individuals. Show up at the Oregon Rally this summer. You won't regret it. :ca

Last edited:
It's worth going, any way you can get there.

Once they're there, everyone wanders around in shorts and T shirts.

You'll fit right in!

We seldom leave the rally grounds and this year, they even have a shuttle so even fewer reasons to move the bikes once we arrive!

Voni
sMiling

Valve issues?

Add some lead additives and save the valves for a while. Ride it. I've been doing this for years on my old airhead with success. CD2 fake lead substitute WORKS:) and found at a lot of auto parts stores. It WILL indeed slow your vavle recession down to a crawl or stop it entirely:)...Randy

Thank you for the replies. I just submitted my registration and looking forward to my first rally.

As far as the valves, I believe I can get another summer of the normal "running around" but didn't want to take any long trips. Next fall, I'll pull the heads and send them out for rebuilding.

For this site -yes make the trip. Some other sites in the past I wouldn't say the same. By the way the Redmond Airport is walking distance to the Rally site. You don't even need a car if you don't want.

When it was at this site last time I flew in due to a lack of vacation days, after a recent job change I find the same may happen this year. In any case if I can get the days off I plan on attending.

If you do choose to rent the car there are plenty of local sites worth seeing.

Fly out - rent a BMW - ride to Rally - return BMW - fly home.

VISA bill that will eventually come - Priceless! :german

Less than positive experience

Note to Richard: I went to the MOA Rally in Johnson City, TN without a bike. It was NOT pleasant! IÔÇÖm an MOA member just like all the others, and I even had a bike on my truck which belonged to someone else, but I received less than a hospitable reception and treatment. I was yelled at, cussed, fingered, and all because I was driving a truck around the location to get back and forth from town. I will never attend another BMW MOA Rally.

Not all of the experiences are positive as reflected in this note...

Note to Richard: I went to the MOA Rally in Johnson City, TN without a bike. It was NOT pleasant! IÔÇÖm an MOA member just like all the others, and I even had a bike on my truck which belonged to someone else, but I received less than a hospitable reception and treatment. I was yelled at, cussed, fingered, and all because I was driving a truck around the location to get back and forth from town. I will never attend another BMW MOA Rally....

It could have been worse...You could have been ignored completely!!

To the OP: from Fairbanks, AK, Alaska/Horizon flys right into the Redmond Airport via SeaTac.

Back