• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Easy way to install engine to frame?

gertiektn

Well, the frame is ready for the engine.

All sweetly painted...:) now I want to avoid nicking it when I put the engine back in.

This is where I am at. Engine is naked, no front cover, no top cover and no tranny attached. No carbs and no electrics. Starter is in place.

So as I understand it ... from the left to the right, slight upward tilt on right jug and front canted down and it it goes. ??????

I have wrapped the lower frame with cover to protect with a small terry cloth held in place with tyraps. I know about assembly, studs,spacers, kick stand, etc.

Any pointers??

Thanks, :thumb
Jim

Last edited:
I'm envious.

I can't provide any direct experience, but had been told that the engine can also be 'rolled in' from the front, assuming you have not put the conn rods, pistons, jugs and studs in of course. That would seem to also imply a lighter heft which could help.

I thought right to left, not left to right.

Also, I've seen duct tape used to protect the frame. Seems like a cut up plastic 3-ring binder folder would provide protection and allow for some sliding versus the duct tape grabbing. Just thinking out loud.

Hanz or Gertie?

With or without cylinders?

If Hanz with cylinders you want two people. If without cylinders it still helps to have two people. In either case have a jack with a flat surface in the opening in the frame where the oil pan will fit. Jack it up so it is just above the frame. That way you can slide the engine in above the frame then jack it down to install the lower engine mounts.

If Gertie someone else will have to help.

p-20000204-1205-1385.jpg

Foam pipe insulation for 1" pipe. L to R, R to L, dos'nt make much difference, but I would get a buddy to help. Have all the studs and spacers ready.

Ken G.

It's the Gertie.

I will post a picture after I get it in.. Saturday am is the schedule.

The engine is intact except the covers.

I appreciate the tips. keep posting.. there is always a good idea out there.

thanks

jim

Back