Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Motorcycle import / shipping

  1. #1
    Registered User talmadge_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Houston, TX

    Motorcycle import / shipping

    I have a co-worker who is considering shipping his bike from a former home in Trinidad to the new home in Houston. Registration & licensing aside (a deal killer in my opinion), does anyone have comments or reccomendations on companies to ship a bike INTO the US?

    At the moment this is just at the stage of gathering info and deciding what is economical.

    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Lethbridge Alberta
    Just go to your customs site and I'm pretty sure they'll have all the info you need to know about importing a vehicle. I know up here that's the best place to look for answers.

    The big things are going to be the pollution stuff & kilometer speedometer.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1998 VT1100T

  3. #3
    Could be a huge PITA in my opinion, unless he has a big emotionial/financial attachment to the bike I wonder why bother?

    Plenty of nice ones here in N.A., unless selling is a problem in Trinidad, I would sell it there.
    Good Luck

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gates Mills, Ohio (near Cleveland)

    Take it from me

    HUGE deal unless the bike (or car) is 25 years old or older. You will be OK if the bike was originally licensed in the US. If the above are not met, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. I KNOW what I am talking about. I move back and forth a lot. I just brought vehicles (three) back from a stint in France last August.

  5. #5
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Agree, HUGE deal. I lived overseas for most of my military career and watched guys wrestle with trying to get non-U.S. model bikes and cars into the States. It is not worth the aggravation, red tape, requirements and cost.

  6. #6
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Andres has it exactly right. And besides dealing with the Feds, every state has their own requirements. California, for example, has a variety of restrictions (even for vehicles coming from another state), and if your vehicle doesn't meet them, you have to remove it or destroy it.

    But if the vehicle is older than 25 years, it's trivial and there's no Federal duty. It's like night and day.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts