• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Would love some Oregon Washington road suggestions

RTRandy

My annual summer ride vacation is looking like last week in June through first part of July. The plan is to head west through New Mexico and either cut north through Colorado or continue west through Utah and Nevada. I haven't ridden northern California other than the Lassen National Park area on the NE side and my only rides in both Oregon and Washington have been on the far east side just west of Idaho.

I'm either going to come across through Reno or further north around Boise. I would love to know some favorite riding roads or places to include along the way. My thinking is I could get as far as Seattle before heading home. With more time I'd love to ride in Victoria, however taking in other back roads take up the vacation time. I'd say anything north or due west of Redding, CA to head up the norther California coast can work.

Taking highway 101 along the coast looks cool, but not sure if it's slow going or a "Must ride". The problem ( like it's a problem) is I miss other roads in the center of the states so I'm hoping to find the best balance. That's not to say I could head up the coast and then come back through other roads in center of state.

For those wanting to know why the Oregon area this year, I got some cheese the other day from Tallimook, OR and took it as a sign I need to ride there.

Last edited:
Hey Randy - you can check out "Things to See" and "Things to See - part two" in the Rally Forum. That may give you some Oregon ideas. I plan to do a part 3 and 4 in the future.

Tillimook Cheese:)

The cheese plant is worth seeing. And the coast rides around there are fantastic, right around the town of Tillimook, take the coast road loop to Searles Point and so on. Its one great sidetrip.
CA Redwoods are great too in the far NW part of CA. I've done the trip all the way to Victoria several times and its all quite good, especially Olympia NP in Washington and the 2 hour ferry to Victoria,BC...Riding BC over to Waterton NP/Canada side and into Glacier NP,Montana is one loop you'll not soon forget if you have time. Randy:usa

Real helpful guys. Thanks so far. Ridden Glacier and Waterton along with Jasper and Prince George which is part of the problem. I've ridden those areas so missed out on the far NW. The challenge will be to route myself in such a way to hit these out of the way good spots like a ride around Crater Lake or the jaunt over to Paulina and east lake ( Thanks Bob! ) while leaving time to cover more miles.

I was looking at coming over to the coast through Redding and coming out around Humboldt Bay and then riding north on 101. There is a cut to the east at Florence on Hwy 126 or continuing north to Waldport and cutting over to the east on Hwy 34. Neither gets me up as far a Tillamook, but hoping to see lots of places with limited time. Should I just continue up the whole way?

Can't find Searles Point looking at the Tillamook area so would love some clarification.

It's easy for me to find towns and their roads on my Garmin Road Trip map, but that one escaped me.

Thanks again.

I'd say anything north or due west of Redding, CA to head up the norther California coast can work.

randy - you may like the Trinity Alps area... very remote, almost no traffic and excellent riding and camping.

check out CA 299 west from Redding, CA 36, CA 96, CA 3... these are all awesome roads.

and... if you're adventurous, check out CA169, Bald Hill Road, which heads west from 96 in a little town called Weitchpec. I've not ridden that road, but it looks fabulous on the map. Goes west through the Redwoods National Park and hits 101 just south of the OR border.

If you find yourself a bit south of this area, say, in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, you gotta ride Mattole through Petrolia, Capetown and up to Ferndale.

From there, US 199 heads north into OR... and goes to Cave Junction, near the Oregon Caves National Monument. This is a bizarre place with a very funky & cool lodge.

OR46... the Caves "Highway" is a great little narrow mountain road, and takes you there.

north of there are some excellent wilderness areas full of roads to explore.

hope this helps.

ian

oh, and...

... if you go through Boise, do *not* miss the Hells Canyon National Recreation area. The road through there is 75 miles of pure twisties that will flat wear you out! :nod

Great Stuff Ian ! Right now I was looking at taking 299 from Redding to the coast and now see 3 and 96 coming of off there. I looked at that little road coming off 96 (169) going along the river, however my map shows it ending about 20 miles from where it branches off of 96. Anyone out there whose familiar with that road might let us know if it indeed goes all the way up to 101.

I was going to head north from 299, however that loop you mentioned with Petrolia and Ferndale is about hundred miles with give or take 3 hours. Kind of an extra day when you include the hour or so to head down that way. Should I include it? The other dilemma might be to forgo 299 and take 3 and 36 just west of Redding at Douglas City. Looks like a good road, though I'd miss out on 299. Anyone have a coin?

I see 199 going to Cave Junction, but then I wouldn't be riding up the coast. I somehow think that should be a one time ride though no firm decision yet.

... if you go through Boise, do *not* miss the Hells Canyon National Recreation area. The road through there is 75 miles of pure twisties that will flat wear you out! :nod

I've ridden Enterprise to Lewiston on Route 3 which was great, but never made it over there. I could try to include it on the way home hopefully. I know many clubs use it as a rally destination and rave about it.

The other dilemma might be to forgo 299 and take 3 and 36 just west of Redding at Douglas City. Looks like a good road, though I'd miss out on 299. Anyone have a coin?

I would like at it just the opposite. You would be missing 36. 299 is a good road. But 36 is a GREAT road. I would go to Red Bluff and ride 36 all the way over to the coast. If that road doesn't excite you, your already dead!

I would like at it just the opposite. You would be missing 36. 299 is a good road. But 36 is a GREAT road. I would go to Red Bluff and ride 36 all the way over to the coast. If that road doesn't excite you, your already dead!

O. . .M . . .G as we say in California. I am so on route 36! Gotta love this forum.
Done and done!

Should I bypass Redding and just pick up 36 at Redbluff? I'm coming west from Lassin anyway. How bad can it be?

And....if you do intend to go to Victoria BC, don't forget your passport, it's now required for travels to Canada....

You're going to have a great trip if you follow the suggestions above...and don't miss Hwy 36 in California...it's well worth the effort!

:dance

Bill J

Have Fun!!

673474896_VPPjV-L.jpg

On HWY 36 stop in Platina for a cheeseburger!!! Great country store and GAS.

And....if you do intend to go to Victoria BC, don't forget your passport, it's now required for travels to Canada....

You're going to have a great trip if you follow the suggestions above...and don't miss Hwy 36 in California...it's well worth the effort!

:dance

Bill J

Will bring the passport for sure. Thanks!

Hopefully not to hard to find in Platina since my GPS map shows nothing there. How many general stores can there be in that place.

It would be safe to say, " you can't miss it ". Places like this are the reason for someone to ride the back roads.

673484235_dqehC-M.jpg

673483722_HNEHZ-M.jpg

673486733_ToaHX-M.jpg

It is more than Okay to bypass Redding, takeing 36 from Redbluff. Just be sure to prepare yourself for the heat. Late June and early July can easily be anywhere from mid-80's to well over 110F. Not as humid as Texas, but it is a long ride and anytime you are below about 2500 ft elevation, you will be feeling it. And then when you cross the ridge to the coast, the temps can drop as much as 40 degrees in a mile or so. Have fun!

Good to know and somewhat surprising for northern California. My first day leaving Dallas and especially the last day coming home here in July is a bear. At least I can get out of here around dawn and make it west of Amarillo before the hottest time of day, however coming home it's all heat for a good 8 hours.

I travel with a Camelbak filled with ice water and use a Polar Wrap around my neck to help stay hydrated and cool. The Beadrider on my saddle keeps me dry and comfortable along with my vented Olympia jacket so hopefully I'm ready. Thanks for the heads up.

Late June and early July can easily be anywhere from mid-80's to well over 110F. Not as humid as Texas, but it is a long ride and anytime you are below about 2500 ft elevation, you will be feeling it. And then when you cross the ridge to the coast, the temps can drop as much as 40 degrees in a mile or so. Have fun!

:nod

And August, too.

mid August, 12:30 at the coast:
p-20080816-1239-4161.jpg

Two hours mostly north later, maybe 25 miles from the coast
p-20080816-1439-4162.jpg

30 miles north of there the temperature had dropped 30˚

Back