• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

I've got a chirp from my cluch.

RonKMiller

PULEASSEEE don't tell me I need to pull the tranny back again! :banghead :laugh

It only "chirps" when I do a "standard" clutch release. If I do a soft, slow, nicely synched release it is as quiet as a church mouse.

I did lube all the "standard" stuff... what did I miss? :uhoh

I really don't need any more bonding time now that it's 75F every day. :eek

did it chirp before you lubed it, are you sure everything is adjusted correctly

only problems I can see with lube of splines is too much and slinging it onto the disc, but that would slip, not chirp

thats why I go with adjustment idea

the chirp

No, don't pull the tranny, pull out the throw rod, make sure the flat washer, the little bearing and the felt are all in in order, the right way around and give each a little bath of grease (but oil the felt) and put it back in with the correct angle on the clutch engagement arm.

It could also be the fingers on the clutch spring. As the clutch is actuated, the fingers flex in and out, but in order to do that, they move slightly towards the center and back out again. This slight motion on the back side of the pressure plate will create a squeak. In order to "fix" that, you will need to pull the clutch and put some tacky grease on the tips of the each of the fingers.

Not a big deal....my /7 does it from time to time and I've come to accept or ignore it.

No, don't pull the tranny, pull out the throw rod, make sure the flat washer, the little bearing and the felt are all in in order, the right way around and give each a little bath of grease (but oil the felt) and put it back in with the correct angle on the clutch engagement arm.

Now that's something I didn't do, and a likely culprit! I think I'll give it a shpritz of Tri Flo first and see if it sinks in. Thanks!

It could also be the fingers on the clutch spring. As the clutch is actuated, the fingers flex in and out, but in order to do that, they move slightly towards the center and back out again. This slight motion on the back side of the pressure plate will create a squeak. In order to "fix" that, you will need to pull the clutch and put some tacky grease on the tips of the each of the fingers.

Not a big deal....my /7 does it from time to time and I've come to accept or ignore it.

Thanks, I'll put that on my list next time I lube the splines... good to know it isn't anything exciting to worry about. It might chirp a bit but at least it doesn't moan.

It's definitely a dry sounding noise... only occurs during quick shifts which I've learned are kind of meaningless with that big old heavy flywheel.

I got to thinking about this...is it possible to pull the rod and reinstall with the engine in the bike? What about the felt around the pushrod? I had my /2 tranny out and was doing all of the cleanup. I tried to install the rod from the rear but I couldn't get the felt ring to cooperate...I tried the usual tricks. Then I read on Duane's site that the rod mit felt should be installed from the front. It was much easier to guide the felt into the front of the input shaft.

And it's possible that the very forward tip of the rod is what's making the sound since it's stationary while the whole clutch pack is spinning. That requires the rod to come completely out to get the tacky grease on the very tip.

I'm not sure there's enough room to do all this from the rear.

I agree with 20774, I dont think there is enough room to pull the rod all the way out with everything else in place
having just installed my short block and tranny on thursday, I cant imagine pulling the rod out farenough to greese the tip

it could also be the fingers on the clutch spring. As the clutch is actuated, the fingers flex in and out, but in order to do that, they move slightly towards the center and back out again. This slight motion on the back side of the pressure plate will create a squeak. In order to "fix" that, you will need to pull the clutch and put some tacky grease on the tips of the each of the fingers.

Not a big deal....my /7 does it from time to time and i've come to accept or ignore it.

+1

Don't pull the rod.
Don't pull the tranny.
Just clean, inspect, and lube the throwout assembly, if you have not already done so.

I have the same little chirp. Have had for oh, 2 years. Lubing the throwout bearing didn't eliminate it (though, cleaning and lubing throwout assembly is a good thing).

the rod

It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure I pulled the rod out the back on a /7 a couple of time; may have had to swing the rear fender out of the way, but I don't think so. The felt is definitely a trick to get back in. I recall sticking it in place with grease and rotating the shaft as I put it in. There's a lengthwise slit and the trick is to keep the front corner from catching and hanging it up.

Back