• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waving at Scooters

I wave at most two wheelers, when on the pedal powered ones it's usually just a left two finger lift off the brake lever hoods...If I have been on the bike daily, I forget I am in a truck and slam my hand against the window:laugh:laugh:laugh

It wears out on weekends and near rallies however...by Sunday I am done from over waving. Most brands wave back...you have the fringe from every group that are wave snobs and can't be bothered...Ducati's and apehangers more than not:dunno :laugh

In rural Texas, you get a hand off the wheel wave from most trucks...or the Dodge Nod:nod.

In many states, 50 CC scooters do not require a license or insurance. Many, not all but many of the scooter riders have a alcohol/drug problem. They still want to work and support their family, we do not have effective public transportation, so they get a scooter or as some call them, a liquor cycle. While they ride, most do not ride for our reasons. Others are ridden by kids, they may not know to wave. There may even be a few ridden by ex beemer riders with too many performance awards and a poor lawyer. So just in case, wave, it may be someone you know.

To me, waving is not about keeping score.

Rod

Due to potholes, windgusts, and inattentive cagers, I no longer wave to anyone/thing.
But in my F-150, I wave at my fellow Ford owners.;)

Styles of Your Wave --

Once you've decided to wave...what is it: 1) LH with index finger, pointing at the road..or 2) LH sort of held horizontally, no wrist motion, and 1, 2 or 3 fingers extended 3) LH still on grip, but fingers splayed in a fan? Seems to me that anything above horizontal, that is, above the grip, is something I've never seen.

i wave to Scooter-Dudes.

Yesterday, I took an ERC with 10 other motorcyclists and one scooter-dude. I give him a ton of credit for coming out with the resst of us on his little 125cc scooter. In fact, I was kind of envious when it came time to work on the u-turn box!

Once you've decided to wave...what is it: 1) LH with index finger, pointing at the road..or 2) LH sort of held horizontally, no wrist motion, and 1, 2 or 3 fingers extended 3) LH still on grip, but fingers splayed in a fan? Seems to me that anything above horizontal, that is, above the grip, is something I've never seen.

it depends on who it is...we have a fun chicken wing wave to the GoldWings.( sorry Hugh!) The BMW's get a hand off the bar end cool wave, The sportbikes do it so fast and go back to the bars it's hard to tell if you even moved a hand... the Cruisers get a horizontal finger point like a Fonzi AAAAYYYY if they look like they are gonna reciprocate...if not it's the ADV salute at times...:dunno... Why do it the same everytime:laugh
We see first time wavers really giving it the Prom Queen/Parade wrist poppin elbow bent wave at times... all good fun.

OK...just havin' some fun so don't get in a snit ...except the Goldwing one;) It confuses the heck out of our Winged riding friends.

i wave to Scooter-Dudes.

Yesterday, I took an ERC with 10 other motorcyclists and one scooter-dude. I give him a ton of credit for coming out with the resst of us on his little 125cc scooter. In fact, I was kind of envious when it came time to work on the u-turn box!

LOL, I took my test for my motorcycle licence on a 90cc Bridgestone (yes, they built a bike. "I didn't know Bridgestone made tires") The guys who showed up on the huge cruisers were offering to rent my bike after I did the cone slalom.

Holly

Remember, if someone does not return a wave, it does not always mean they are stuck up. I often get waved at when I feel me hands are better of staying on the bars. Such as shifting and turning. I really don't like waving on the LA freeways at 75-80 mph, thing happen too fast. Plus, with a closing rate of 150 MPH, the waver is often past before I can respond.

Scott :wave

My experience with waving at scooter riders is this - most look like they are scared to death to let go of the handle bar long enough to wave back. For three or four months a couple of years ago, I would see the same guy going the opposite direction that I was going and I would wave. I could sense by the way he looked that he wanted to but I could read the fear in his body language. Saw him last week and waved and he waved back. He had upgraded his scooter from a 125 or 250 to a Burgman of some sort. I know it was him -- military combat uniform and helicopter pilot helmet (we have a helicopter squadron at Edmonton Garrison).

All the other scooters were kids with their first set of wheels. Again, the body language was showing a lack of confidence and a bit of fear. I still wave.

I have a Vespa GT200 and an '04 RT and I wave to both varieties. On the scooter, about half the time I get a return wave (doesn't matter whether it is a MC or another scooter). On the bike, almost all MC's return the wave, and about half the scoots.

Agreed, most scooterists don't know the protocol.

I gave up waving at scooters in town; I usually just got a strange look from the rider if they noticed me at all. Out in the country it is a different story and I usually get a wave back. Different agendas I guess.

Of course here in the rural South, folks just wave anyway. Riding, sitting on a porch, out in the field or getting the mail, if you wave they wave back. It's only polite.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7tBHoq49RU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7tBHoq49RU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I wave at scooters, little kids on tricycles, return waves to cagers and just about anyone else. The only people I don't wave at are unicyclists. I am just too much in awe to risk taking a hand off the bars.
:brad

Back