• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Comfortable?

B

bobh41

Leno says it's comfortable. Has anybody ridden the S1000RR over 500 miles at a stretch? Would you take it cross-country? - or is it "just" a racer?

Would you consider trying to make a tourer of it, i.e., saddlebags, windscreen?

Please don't shoot me, just askin'

Bob

I was fortunate enough to have this phenomenal bike from my local dealer for a weekend. I even put on a few hundred miles..like rid'n a race horse at the Kentucky Derby.. Bottom line..this is not a sport-touring bike.

It is a matter of perspective. Compared to my Ducati 1098, which I've ridden for 300+ miles at a stretch, its a plush recliner... :laugh

I'm not sure that's apples-apples :) I had a R1200s, took a 5800 mile trip on it and was fine. I have a S1000RR ordered but don't see any trips like that in my future. I have heard it's more comfortable than a 1098/1198 Duc but the RR riding position is more "extreme" than a R1200s.

I don't really care though, the RR is freakin awesome!

Well, Leno as tall as he is (6'5" or better?) has long arms, so his reach to the bars are not mine. He could easily find an R1200S or an S1000RR comfortable.

It's us shorter folk that have issues. YMMV.

He is only 5ft 11in. You might be thinking of Conan O'Brian. He is pretty tall.

Same as me then, no wonder he likes it, I thought it was OK, but I do like the reach better to the R1200S.

Leno says it's comfortable. Has anybody ridden the S1000RR over 500 miles at a stretch? Would you take it cross-country? - or is it "just" a racer?

Bob

You know, I'm hearing about its comfort, but the S1000RR is a compact, diminuitive bike and when I sat on one, the high pegs and handle grip location reminded me very much of the Duc Superbikes, MV's, Honda liter's, etc. I've owned.

I'm surprised at how many "old guys" own sport bikes like the S1000RR & K1200S. I'm only 43 & find the ergos painful. I've seen lots of 60 year olds climb off of 'busa's & such too... Maybe it is my fat gut. If I lost 40 lbs, I'd probably fit better... Told my wife if I got to 180, I'd get a Ducati... She is probably safe.

Me, I am 5'11" and 170. I fit just right on my R1200S.

And I am not as old as many here, but I do have adult children.

Bob

If you see the bike in person, you will realize that it is a very compact bike.
It is not meant to be ridden for 500 miles or probably less than that. I would not even think about saddlebags, etc....
It is a beautiful bike to have fun at short runs and twisty roads not a sport tourer not even close.

475+ miles

Rode mine to Yosemite and back from the SF Bay Area a couple Sundays ago and did just fine. That was about the limit. I'm 5'10", 170 and have in the past ridden GS's. I also have a Ducati MTS 1100S with all the bags and such.
I added an old Famsa tank bag and bought the very nice RR Tail bag. All works well.
Love the bike. Always a joy to ride.
I do have to remind myself not the "hunch" over and lean on the bars but keep my back straight and lean forward at the waist. Then my hands fall on the bars.

I ride a R1100RS so I'm pretty comfortable in that position, though my RS is not as "hunched over" as the R1000SS.

I rode one for 100 miles at the dealer in Bentonville, and was never so glad to get off of a motorcycle in my life, even with the adrenalin pumping at 4 gal./min.
I'm sure with some seat time you would accustom yourself to it more, but it's not a touring bike. Wasn't meant to be. It excels at what it was designed for, but touring is not in it's repertoire.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but not by me.

I just got a brief test ride, but for me (around 6'3) the footpeg position made the riding position pretty cramped. I'm sure there are solutions to move the pegs back, but I really couldn't see doing more than say 200 miles at a stretch.

It is a very compact bike, with very aggressive ergos.

I'm surprised at how many "old guys" own sport bikes like the S1000RR & K1200S. I'm only 43 & find the ergos painful. I've seen lots of 60 year olds climb off of 'busa's & such too... Maybe it is my fat gut. If I lost 40 lbs, I'd probably fit better... Told my wife if I got to 180, I'd get a Ducati... She is probably safe.

Nah! Us old guys are in superb shape and can take it;

or

us old guys hurt all the time anyway so what's a little more cramping?

now where did I put the Aleve?

Comfortable . . . .

Actually it is comfortable. I am 5'10 and 220 lbs. I found the seating to be great. No monketbutt! Legs are up high but no cramps in 150 mile trip.
The wrisits and head position were my initial problems. Grips are small and hard. I installed padded add ons and it was much better. The muscles for head position strengthened. Not an IB competitor but fun for short trips.
The modes are amazing. I cannot imagine inserting the plug for slick. I tried rain, sport and race mode. Each becomes more sensitive. Race is so sensitive as to do wheelies after I rolled the throttle after going over a bump. My riding partner is named Mortality and we both prefer the sport mode.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11S1000RR
:thumb

S100rr

I had the pleasure of delivering one of there beasties to its new owner last week. Around 310 miles Fresno to Malibu (Hwy 41 to 33) over 5100' pass through Los Padres Natl forest. Anyway.. big fun. However @ 6'1" with a 33" inseam and this racer was not built to fit me. It is a extremely compact. Felt like I was looking down at the front fender. But it is very adept at it's mission. Pulls like nothing I've ever been on or expect to in this life. Took me about 50 miles to get settled in. Was a rainy day so once I go out of "Rain" mode.. found "Sport" mode and pulled the trigger to pass a string of trucks. When I got to the Rock Store in Malibu..I was looking for Jay to see if he really believed the rocket was comfortable. It is so light..really noticed pushing it in the parking lot. I could really get used to that shift assist transmission. Very slick package.

Suspension Adjustments . . .

Last night I adjusted the suspension to a softer setting. Much better for a road trip. If I was going to be in the Appalachins for the rally I would turn it up!
An amazing motorcycle!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Are only concern is that you kids gets out of the way as we elders go by.

Back