• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Comfortable?

I haven't ridden the S1000RR even 100 feet, but I did A/B the seating with the Yamaha R1 last year at the Laguna Seca MotoGP. The S1000RR is definitely a Barcalounger compared to the R1, and especially to the Ducati 916 (last real sport bike I tried to ride, but I couldn't lift my head up enough to see forward). Sure, the pegs are up high and the bars are a reach (for me at 5'10" 225), but it's far from extreme like the other two bikes I mentioned. I didn't think the reach was a lot further than my R1200ST...

Bottom line, if someone wants to loan me their RR, I'd be happy to try a 350 mile day on it.

Are only concern is that you kids gets out of the way as we elders go by.

Since I wrote that, I've dropped 35lbs & test rode an S1000RR...

Wow... Actually was fairly comfortable since I wasn't laying on my gut... Need to drop another 30...

Comfortable . .. .

My biggest day was 350 miles. It was a long day. 3 hours in AM and same in PM. It was the first real long ride on the S1000RR so I was not conditioned. I am also 63 years old. A younger person could probably do better. I too have dropped weight and find the position great. I have to flex my legs before I start off to make sure I have the flexibility to get my feet up to the pedals.
The more I drive it the better I feel about it. Amazing control and responsiveness. Sticky tires allow for "spirited" cornering. The rear view mirrors are tucked in so that it is hard to see immediately behind the bike. If it is driven as intended . . . . there is no one behind anyway!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R1000RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Wish I had one....

I am following this thread... and I am hopeful....

My dream bike right now is a RR. I am only 47 and a month ago was told that I might have had a heart attack... it turned out not to be true and the follow-up stress test and EKG's have reported me to be very healthy and to have a heart of an 18 year old. Since stress test are now part of my routine tests very few years, I have begun to make some changes....

1. I have started to exercise to drop another 20 lbs and to a comfortable 190 and holding it.
2. I am exercising on a daily basis and working my heart like the rest of my body.
3. I will put my boys through college and buy my wife a new car....
4. At the age of 60 I am rewarding myself with the RR and spend their inheritance ... by then BMW may have something even crazier on the market... but I will be in shape and have the heart to handle the excitement!!!!

I envy those that have a RR, but I am also not ready to sell my Airheads to make that happen. The RR will be in "addition to" the airheads. I am done selling bikes, I am only adding to the garage.

If anybody is parking a RR too much and needs it ridden, give me shout out... I will make it my commuter bike in a second...okay 4 days a week at least.

Fellows, keep the rubber side down and keep me posted about the RR....

At least one aftermarket model seeks to improve the ergos for longer street miles use.
Look up the Wunderlich "Curare" version. Different bars, seat, pegs makes it more a gentleman's sportbike (and its got a Gulf Porsche style paint job and lots of carbon fiber bits, also).

I ride a K1200RS sometimes (but mostly my 08 RT) and at age 65 I can easily see myself on the Curare but not on the stock S1000RR, despite the fact that I'd enjoy heck out of its performance. I can do about 250 miles at a pop on the K1200RS and essentially anything you can do before needing sleep on my RT but S1000RR isn't built for distance riding as sold.

Back