• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Overseas purchase scam?

Global-Tst.com was registered anonymously and is being hosted on Yahoo in California - you should contact your local FBI field office, they will assist in having the site brought down. Your Brother in Law is probably not the only one being taken by this, be nice to save someone else the grief.

Point them to this site as well, another scam site built by the same scammers:
http://dasfreight.com/
Same *exact* site build, just different domain name (not so curiously, the URL and hosting are also exactly the same as Global-Tst.com as well.) In addition, they might find this tidbit of info also particularly interesting:
http://www.targetgulf.com/MESearch\Lebanon/DAS_FREIGH_4158.shtml

If you ever needed affirmation that you have been scammed, Google "dasfreight.com".

Sorry to say but your Brother in Law learned a $9k lesson the hard way.

Go to the FBI as soon as possible.

By the way, did he contact Western Union Fraud? Where was the money picked up? I'd also be very interested in looking at one of the e-mails they sent you.

EDIT - these guys are really busy! Clip a sentence of their goofy language from the site and Google it, you'll see pages of fake sites these guys have set up.

Last edited:
Not to be rude, but WTF was he thinking???? With all the scams out there, this one not only had enough red flags to fill the UN flag poles, it also had red laser dots all over his forehead, and chest!!!

Just a little comment on the Barnum comment...

It is a sad truth that every day folks grandparents, parents and even their young adult children are fooled by some A$$hat on the internet or on the phone. And occasionally by snail mail disguised as official. The stories are endless, the ends the folks go thru to scam others is bolder everyday...y'all remember Bernie Madoff right? Even "smart" folks get burned.

Yes, people make poor decisions...could be someone in your family, so buyer beware!

back to the story...

Just a little comment on the Barnum comment...

It is a sad truth that every day folks grandparents, parents and even their young adult children are fooled by some A$$hat on the internet or on the phone. And occasionally by snail mail disguised as official. The stories are endless, the ends the folks go thru to scam others is bolder everyday...y'all remember Bernie Madoff right? Even "smart" folks get burned.

Yes, people make poor decisions...could be someone in your family, so buyer beware!

back to the story...

2 days after she got her computer in 2001 (and still using the same computer. I'd go mad!) my grandmother got her first scam email. It was one of the fake ebay sites, attempting to get your username/password. She had no idea what it was and called me (since I get to be tech support for the whole family)
"Mick, do I ebay?"
"Did you sign up for ebay?"
"I don't think so. Is that in the start menu?"
"No grandma. Have you ever been to ebay.com?"
"No."
"Then don't listen to that email. Its a scam"
"What kind of terrible people would try and scam little old ladies on the internet?"
"Typically africans, grandma"
*racist remark from Grandma here*

Least that conversation made her wary of the emails from the Nigerian Bank President and what not.

Unfortunately the Nigerians really turned it into an industry. I would say even today after many years following these I find a significant portion of the scams I come across still come from Nigeria, though more and more are coming from Italy, the UK and Russia (and former Soviet States).

If you want to see where these things come from just look at the header info of the email for something like this "X-SENDER IP:" or "RECEIVED: FROM" followed by an IP Address, aka four blocks of one to three numbers each. For example, the eBay phish I referred to above has this statement in the headers:

Received: from User ([195.81.7.217])

Hopping over to SamSpade.org and punching in "195.81.7.217" I found that it was originally sent from an ISP in Italy through an unprotected mail server of a law firm in New Milford, Connecticut (yes I called them and told them.

If you want to see where these things come from just look at the header info of the email for something like this "X-SENDER IP:" or "RECEIVED: FROM" followed by an IP Address, aka four blocks of one to three numbers each. For example, the eBay phish I referred to above has this statement in the headers:

Good advise with a big caveat... Received headers can be forged. :deal

Proper received headers are added by each machine that processes the message. This will typically be the senders host, his ISP's mail server, your ISP mail server, etc. However, because headers can be forged the ONLY received header you can believe is the one that your mail server added. That will be the first one found (hosts add headers to the beginning of the message).

If you get a mail that claims to be from paypal.com, for example, but the top receive header says that it came from cable-user-35.someisp.example.com you can be 100% sure it isn't a valid message from paypal even if later received headers make it look like the message transited paypal hosts.

Back