• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Corbin seat or BMW comfort seat?

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
I have the stock seat on my '09 F650GS and am thinking of upgrading to a comfier seat. There's a BMW comfort seat at about $440, pretty much the same price as a Corbin seat. Any idea on which is comfier? More durable over time?

Thanks

Norm (ChelseaBoy)

Norm,

Everyone is reading your post and not responding because you are posting on the thumper board (thumper = single cylinder) when you have a twin. In case you don't understand why this board is not for you when you have an F650GS it's because BMW, in all their wisdom, named two different bikes the same.

F650GS's pre '08 are singles (thumpers) and after that year they are twins. The thumper F650GS had a name change to G650GS in '08 (but I don't think they sold these in the US in '08). Confusing? You should be posting on the "Twins" board.

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's job, but I don't see the mods advising him.

Sit on one if possible

I have had one Corbin seat and sold it because it was hard as a rock.

I know I have a twin Nancy

which is why i didn't post it initially it in this forum - someone moved my post here!

Don at Mr. Ed Moto makes nice seats. If you are thinking about getting a seat, I would look into his seats as they are much better than the other stock seats. That's my opinion. I'm going to get my seat done by him real soon.

Don at Mr. Ed's Moto made my seat for my '07 F650GS, best thing i ever did. 600+ mile days are no issue anymore.

bmwgsrider said:
Don at Mr. Ed Moto makes nice seats. If you are thinking about getting a seat, I would look into his seats as they are much better than the other stock seats. That's my opinion. I'm going to get my seat done by him real soon.

Don at Mr. Ed's Moto made my seat for my '07 F650GS, best thing i ever did. 600+ mile days are no issue anymore.

+2 for Mr Ed's Moto
Your rear end will be glad you did..

I had a Corbin on a '03 F650GS. I liked the stock seat better. I also had a Corbin on a R80RT which I didn't like. (the bike and the seat)

For me, the stock BMW F650GS seat was like sitting on a knife edge. I have 70k miles on my Corbin and it made all the difference in the world. Corbin's are on the hard side, so for long rides, multiple days, I do add a sheepsking butt pad from Alaska Leather

I had a Corbin on an FJR a couple of years ago. It was ok, but as noted above, it was as hard as a rock....Took some getting used to.

When I started riding my Dakar, I found the seat to be uncomfortable after about half an hour. I told my brother, who has been riding long distance for about 30 years, that I thought I was going to need a seat upgrade to do any long distance riding. He suggested that I wait a couple months before deciding what to do. That was good advise, because after a month or two I got used the to the seat. Last fall I rode to a rally that took 11 and a half hours of nearly continuous riding, as I wanted to arrive before dark. I was tired when I got there, but my posterior was no more tired than the rest of me.

When I was at that rally, I guy I met showed me his Airhawk seat cushion. He said it was fantastic for long distance rides. If I recall, he had been from California to Florida within a couple months, so he probably knows this subject as well as anyone.

I have not used an Airhawk myself, but you can read some first hand accounts here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392475

The price of the Airhawk is a fraction of a replacement seat, so it might be worth a try.

Back