• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road Suggestions for Northern Georgia?

I'm heading to southwestern North Carolina this weekend on my R1100S and was wondering if anyone knows of any roads in the northern part of Georgia that would be worth checking out. Primarily looking for something that offers scenery and thrills through the curves, with an emphasis on the latter.
Any suggestions appreciated.

KAW said:
I'm heading to southwestern North Carolina this weekend on my R1100S and was wondering if anyone knows of any roads in the northern part of Georgia that would be worth checking out. Primarily looking for something that offers scenery and thrills through the curves, with an emphasis on the latter.
Any suggestions appreciated.

The area between Hiawassee, Helen, and Suches is about as good as it gets.

Re: Re: Road Suggestions for Northern Georgia?

Mr. Frank said:
The area between Hiawassee, Helen, and Suches is about as good as it gets.

Wayah Bald Road, 180, man, they're all fun up there. I think there's a motorcycle road map available somewhere for that area. I know they sell them at TWO in Suches.

North Georgia Motorcycle Maps

Have fun, it's beautiful there and the roads are outstanding.

The link below will introduce you to Deal's Gap (US 129 at the NC/TN border), and the Cherohala Skyway.

The gap, IMO, is over crowded and over rated.

Cherohala, on the other hand, is well worth the trip a bit north into Tennessee. You can get on the west end of it at Tellico Plains, TN, and the east end comes out not far from Fontana Village and Deal's Gap.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

And hello, Frank G. Nice to see you on the board.

RickM

Our plans are to get to Cherokee around midnight Friday and then tool around Saturday before riding the entire Blue Ridge Parkway home on Sunday.

I'm sure we'll ride through the "Dragon" and on the Cherohala Skyway. I think 129 is definitely overcrowded, but still fun. However, I also prefer the riding style and scenery of the Cherohala. This will be the fourth consecutive Spring that we've ridden to that area, but never made it into GA for one reason or another. From what I'm hearing here and other places, it's worth checking out.

Now if only the weather will cooperate. I've been doing my Sun Dance the last couple of days and noticed the forecast down there has changed from 90% chance of rain to %50 over the last 36 hours. Hmmm.

Weeellll ...

Somehow I missed the fact that you were coming in from the north.

That being the case, any of the roads that get you to TWO at Suches is a nice ride. In particular, 180 across the mountain (aka, Wolf Pen Gap) is a great ride. But be careful that you don't run off the edge. Your body will not be found unless the buzzards give it away, or Eric Rudolph stumbles across you while sneaking past the FBI :D .

While at TWO, get one of their maps of the area. From there, you can find every good road in a 100 mile radius of the campground.

The ride up the mountain from Helen, GA, to Hiwassee is a nice ride. Or, down the mountain, if you like ...

And there is a way over the mountain from just outside the north side of Helen, over to one of the roads that hooks up with 180 to cross the mountain to TWO. Sorry I can't recall the name and number ... the last time I did it, it was in sleet and light snow, and I was really intent on finding a warm hole to crawl into. What I remember most vididly is that when I topped the mountain, hikers doing the Applachian Trail were crossing the road in the same sleet and snow, and they were having fun. But Rick was not having fun ...

Finally, looking at your dates, maybe you will have a laptop with you and read this before the weekend is past.

Regards,
RM

Split the thread

This thread started to talk about Kbike head wobble, so I split it and stuck that portion under Kbike tech. You can jump there using the forum jump button down in the corner or by clicking here.

Starting in Cherokee

KAW said:
Our plans are to get to Cherokee around midnight Friday and then tool around Saturday before riding the entire Blue Ridge Parkway home on Sunday.

Your note about starting in "Cherokee" caught my attention. Recently 64 of us met there and rode for an entire weekend.

If you'll take a gander at this thread on the BMWSportTouring.com board, you'll see some cool routes, both starting in Cherokee.

Have fun on your trip! :)

Re: Starting in Cherokee

If you'll take a gander at this thread on the BMWSportTouring.com board, you'll see some cool routes, both starting in Cherokee.

Have fun on your trip! :)

Thanks David...I'm heading out to Suches next Thursday. Looking forward to some cooler weather and nice roads:bliss

KBasa said:
TWO.... I'm jealous. I love that place.

Dave, that's it! A bunch of southern IBMWR types are going to be staying at TWO the weekend of July 12th. Look forward to meeting some other BMW riders.

Happy 4th of July!!:nra

T.W.O.

Guys, I just got back from running most of the twisties in Georgia. I posted the roads we followed, as well as a bunch of pictures from T.W.O. Both are in this thread:

Click here to see pix and routes

Have a great trip!

Back