• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stay-alive equipment on my RT

P

PDF

I commute year-round on my RT through downtown Seattle. To increase my visibility, I decided to add some additional lights to the bike. In Seattle it is grey and raining most of the time during winter months and since we are at 47 north latitude, daylight hours are short in winter

Last summer at the national rally, I saw the P3 (blinking brake light) and Photon Blaster (yellow running lights) LEDs in the vendor area. A few weeks ago I purchased both for front and rear on my R1150RT. The lights were purchased from http://www.skenedesign.com
These lights are really bright! They also flicker imperceptibly. I recently saw some Seattle Police motor officers with similar LED lights on their bikes, riding on a very grey winter day through downtown Seattle. The improvement to their visibility from these lights was dramatic. That's when I decided to get some for my bike.

I already had a flashing brake light (Brake! brand) and PIAAs installed on the front as well as some reflective tape on the rear of my system cases.

My current visibility efforts consist of:

<strong>Front</strong>
Main headlight, PIAA hi-intensity hi-beam lamp, fog lamps (regular bulbs - I used to have PIAA hi-intensity bulbs in the fog lamps, but they were too bright for everyday use), PIAA 1100x hi-intensity lights under the oil radiator, yellow Photon Blaster led running lights.

Here is what they look like all lit up.
4468984310_a83a76458e_o.jpg

<strong>Rear</strong>
Brake! led flashing brake light, P3 flashing brake lights on either side of the license plate, 3M SOLAS reflective tape on rear of system cases.
4469052516_127a2f62b5.jpg

<strong>Sides</strong>
Nothing yet other than hi-viz clothing. I have some additional SOLAS reflective tape that I plan to put on the system cases and center stand legs.

<strong>Self</strong>
My brother gave me this jacket (Thanks Mark!). I also have reflective stripes on boots and my Aerostich suit. I'm planning to buy a white Arai helmet.
4469086024_2ee5443850.jpg

-

And I thought I added vis stuff to my RT. Wow!!

Front of Mine
65 W IPF H7 bulbs from Best Rest in all 3 slots
Trail Tech 30W HIDs in Ezy Mounts under the oil cooler (like many do for PIAA 1100s)
Skene Photo Blasters
Considering some additional "bigger" HID lamps for hi speed night use in rural areas.

Rear of Mine
Black reflective film (reflects as white) on rear of side cases and top case. Also on sides of top case.
3" round red reflectors on outside rear of each side case.
Hyperlites
BMW LED accessory running and brake light (you can still add this to yours if you want more!)
Red reflective patch on topcase latch.

Helmet
White with silver reflective film checkers and black/silver reflective arrows on side, SOLAS tape stripe on back.

Other
Reflective stripes on boots and suits....

Where you live you light want to consider a Kriega modified to deliver hot coffee while riding to add alertness to visibility......:dance

I recommend tracking down and picking the brain of and buying the books of David L. Hough.

He sometimes gives free seminars at Ride West. Go to one. He's giving a seminar at the National Rally in Bend this summer. Go if you're going.

He'll tell you - and I'll concur - that the best safety improvement you can make is to upgrade the computer between your ears.

As for gear, you mentioned the white helmet. I think that's key. I'm so paranoid about getting hit/not being seen that I ride an all-white RTP through the dark and rainy Seattle commutes. I find that I'd rather have my fellow motorists think I'm a cop than not see me at all. I've had transit buses pull over for me, thinking I'm a cop when my headlight modulator is on. That's fine. That means they saw me, and that's all that matters.

20080510-001.jpg

Ditto on all the excellent notions suggested.

I commute at night and use a combination of most of the enhanced visibility measures mentioned above.

I currently have Hyperlights and the BMW Supplemental Brake light. The latter was relatively expensive, not very bright and quit working after only a couple of years. One of my Hyperlight modules has a row of LED's out after 2 years. If I had it to do over, I'd just buy the P3 lights instead. :cry

I'm a big fan of the Vision Vest.

Ditto everything OfficerImpersonator says including the experience of people pulling over for the headlight modulator...that happens about every other day during my morning commute home.

I recommend tracking down and picking the brain of and buying the books of David L. Hough.

He sometimes gives free seminars at Ride West. Go to one. He's giving a seminar at the National Rally in Bend this summer. Go if you're going.

He'll tell you - and I'll concur - that the best safety improvement you can make is to upgrade the computer between your ears.

As for gear, you mentioned the white helmet. I think that's key. I'm so paranoid about getting hit/not being seen that I ride an all-white RTP through the dark and rainy Seattle commutes. I find that I'd rather have my fellow motorists think I'm a cop than not see me at all. I've had transit buses pull over for me, thinking I'm a cop when my headlight modulator is on. That's fine. That means they saw me, and that's all that matters.

20080510-001.jpg

Nice RTP! And nice view from Alki. I work right in front of the Space Needle in your pic. I've got the Hough books and agree with everything you on all but the headlight modulators. I think they are distracting to drivers and detract from safety.

Back