• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Smugmug (photo sharing) affinity program

i finally ponied up and got a smug mug account this week. i'd been using my friend's server for years and it was a real pain to keep things organized. i'm quite impressed with the whole service so far except for some synch issues between creating new folders on smugmug and them not showing up in the mac download. not a big deal, i just restart the program and all is good.

My self, one image can be 12MB in size. I may edit it but I almost always upload
originals.

Not bad for $40.

I see you shoot in either RAW or TIFF. So do I, now.

The $40 isn't all bad, now that the US dollar has taken a dive. I just don't want SM to justify raising rates by adding features, features that I don't want (like the channels my CATV company is adding, channels I don't want as part of the original package, yet I have to pay more for them).

Thanks for all the info and tips.

I see you shoot in either RAW or TIFF. So do I, now.

Yes, I do shoot RAW. Greater flexability :)

Regarding price increases, when I first signed up, there was a high degree of
instability. For the second year, those who stuck it out were given a free year
of service. That price increase was the first in maybe 4 years.

The service is still a great value if for no other reason than the unlimited storage
feature. I know how much I have uploaded and I have a relatively good idea of what
that costs (I manage storage day to day). It's a pretty good deal.

Depends what you want. I use both Adobe LightRoom and PhotoShop. You could
get by with just LigthRoom.

Depends what you want. I use both Adobe LightRoom and PhotoShop. You could get by with just LigthRoom.

I have Adobe Photoshop Album which I think is their most basic photo program, but it doesn't handle some formats.

I came across a really nifty Freeware program called IRFANVIEW. I've only played around with it for thirty minutes and so far it looks good. It certainly reads more odd-ball formats than anything I've come across.

I have Adobe Photoshop Album which I think is their most basic photo program, but it doesn't handle some formats.

I came across a really nifty Freeware program called IRFANVIEW. I've only played around with it for thirty minutes and so far it looks good. It certainly reads more odd-ball formats than anything I've come across.

Irfanview is on a par with PhotoShop with regard to capability. My past experience
has been good however it does have its quirks and as long as you are aware of
them, it's a great tool. If you like it, don't forget to contribute to the authors for
all of their hard work.

By "we", I am assuming the BMWMOA?

I know I get a $5 discount, but who gets the $10 credit for signing someone up, the BMWMOA? If so, is it applied to my membership dues?

I'm just on a 14 day trial...still uncertain about the service.

The MOA gets the $10 credit. It's not applied to your membership dues, but goes toward the account we keep to manage image assetts for this web site.

I hope that helps.

FWIW, the owner of Smugmug rides a K12RS. He's one of us. :)

If you have a Mac, try Bibble. It's free in the Light version and very, very powerful.

As is everything else for a Mac...but I've never owned one for the usual reasons.

You'd figure using a PC, I'd at least run Linux and have something crashproof. :laugh

Who might that be? Maybe do a story on him/her and how their little image empire got started.

It's actually Baldy, the guy that owns Dgrin and Advrider. Also know as Chris MacAskill.

He's a genuinely good guy. You know you're dealing with One Of Us when the categories for albums in smugmug include motorcycles. :ha

Who might that be? Maybe do a story on him/her and how their little image empire got started.

Like sausage boy said, Chris Macaskill is the man, along with his wife, son, and his wife, IIRC. They've been featured in a number of stories both in the web and print press. He used to own a GS, too.

But he has a dark side.

He owns a scooter. :p

Photo Posting Experiment

This is my first attempt to link photos from Smugmug to the forum. If this works, I try adding more than one pic.

9658100_PjU6x

Now I shall try to put multiple images into the post, starting with a shot of Motel Blanchet.
651812881_iMmTD-XL.jpg

Now for the 2nd image between text using a photo of the Com'Inn in Moncton NB.
651813563_mvmMp-XL.jpg

Is it possible to put in 3 images?
651814650_hHuHV-XL.jpg

I think that I have gotten the hang of posting photos. Thanks to all in the previous posts whose information has helped me with this. Paul

Last edited:
:thumb

Now try them a wee bit smaller. :D
The big size is nice, but might be a bit much for users with smaller monitors.

Back