• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Smugmug (photo sharing) affinity program

Smugmug!

Oops, I had smugbug, anyway I'll be checking out your sites while it's snowing later today. And Thanks Dave for the MOA connection to
Smugmug.com So much stuff to do, not enough hours in the day.
Karl

Can I just say again I love smugmug. This is so great. My wife is finally off my back about getting all our photos on-line. It has made a lot of family members happy as well.

Also, about resizing pictures. I use a very simple technique do down-size my pictures before I upload them to smugmug. Assuming you are using Windows XP & Outlook.

1. Select or highlight the photos from a viewer window you want to re-size (the thumbnail view makes this much easier).

2. Select E-Mail this file or E-Mail the selected items if you have highlighted more that one picture.

3. A dialog box will open with two choices. The default is ÔÇ£Make all my pictures smallerÔÇØ the other choice is ÔÇ£Keep the original sizeÔÇØ. Keep the default choice ÔÇ£Make all my pictures smallerÔÇØ & press the OK button.

4. A new E-mail message will be created with you selected picture or pictures in the attachment pain.

5. Highlight the attached (now smaller sized picture) & copy it back to a folder of your choosing.

This is a fast & simple way to make your pictures smaller & uniformed. I sure beats the heck out of resizing them one at a time.

I hope this is a useful tip.

Hey now,

I am glad you like Smugmug, we are very happy with the service. FWIW, many of the images you now see on our website are actually residing on Smugmug, this improves performance and saves us some bandwidth.

One of the beauties of smugmug is that it will share your photos in multiple sizes.

I put up my originals and when I insert them in the forum I go to the photo I want to share and click "share with friends and forums".

The next screen gives me the following options:

tiny > http://RPB.smugmug.com/photos/15387228-Ti.jpg (link) perfect for sigs

thumbnail > http://RPB.smugmug.com/photos/15387228-Th.jpg (link)

small > http://RPB.smugmug.com/photos/15387228-S.jpg (link) forums & blogs

medium > http://RPB.smugmug.com/photos/15387228-M.jpg (link)

large > http://RPB.smugmug.com/photos/15387228-L.jpg (link) high bandwidth!

I like to use the medium setting so the picture described by the links would be:

15387228-M.jpg

My GS getting prepped for the 05 Iron Butt Rally

In my opinion the only reason to resize before uploading is if you are on a slow connection.

HTH and thanks for the feedback.

Best,

Glad to finally be on SmugMug, especially as a good deal that also helps the MOA. I have learned an awful lot by reading your FAQ's, it is really all very do-able. Thanks for all the help!

OK - I have a question - I have been a SmugMug user now for almost 3 years and was wondering can a MOA member get a discount when renewing with SmugMug?

Curiously yours,

Rich

Dick said:
OK - I have a question - I have been a SmugMug user now for almost 3 years and was wondering can a MOA member get a discount when renewing with SmugMug?

Curiously yours,

Rich

Good question. I think if you mention the MOA affinity program during renewal, they'll help you out. Here's the referral code: v6FeTKhJQ1cFE.

I emailed the smugmug gang and asked that question. I was told it was a one shot deal for new users only

Smugmug and other similar services are pretty nice and make life easy for pic posting, but there are some of us who just need a quick, free way in which to get a pic from the "My Doc" or "My Pic" folder into a post here.

For this task, I have been using Blogger. I simply set up a blog account, keep it private and then upload my pics as needed. There are three sizes available using Blogger's setup for pics and the pic quality is good enough for most of the posting I would do here.

I realize it's about as simplistic as it can get, but for those of us who are somewhat pc challenged, it's about the easiest and painless method I have found--and best of all, it's free.

:wave

Trying to post photo

OK, here goes, my attempt to post a photo using ImageShack.

Link to Smumug Community Page

Here is a Link to the Smugmug Bmwmoa Community: http://www.smugmug.com /community/BMWMOA

I am curious about the amount of traffic I am getting on the Smugmug BMWMOA Community Website. When I am hosted on the BMWMOA Community, I get very few hits on my Stat Counter compared to being hosted on others sites.

I have looked for a link on the BMWMOA Web page and I can not find a link to the Smugmug BMWMOA Community Web site.

I think a few good links to the BMW Community site could be another tool to bring new members into the BMWMOA.

75563116-L.jpg

I second this motion. All in favor, say "aye."

Just wondering if there is a link to the BMWMOA Smugmug Community page?

;)

There is no link yet, but I'm hoping the powers-that-be will see that members are suggesting that there should be.

I have the same experience as beerteam. When I link to another site, I get thousands of hits. I would rather share the photos here, though. Perhaps if members knew that there was a BMWMOA Smugmug community, it would increase traffic there as well as at Smugmug.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that we have made an arrangement with Smugmug to offer our members a discount on this service.

To sign up for Smugmug and receive the $5 discount available to 'MOA members to get started please follow this link. Our cupon is entered automatically however for your reference our cupon code is: v6FeTKhJQ1cFE.

As always if you have any comments or questions we are ready to assist.

Best,

By "we", I am assuming the BMWMOA?

I know I get a $5 discount, but who gets the $10 credit for signing someone up, the BMWMOA? If so, is it applied to my membership dues?

I'm just on a 14 day trial...still uncertain about the service.

I've used free sites, but the tools that come along with smugmug, the lack of advertising and the support they show us as part of the affinity program makes me feel like the $30/year or whatever it is is well spent.

Try $40 a year now for their basic "Standard" service.

You can also e-mail help@smugmug.com
directly.

I did...24 hours ago...no response, but I have since figured it out.

As for for whose coupon code I use, it'll depend. Might as well pass it along to a friend and split the $10 credit. Why should the BMWMOA get it? Damn sneaky of them not to mention it in the initial thread.

I did...24 hours ago...no response, but I have since figured it out.

Hmmm. 24hrs seems like a long time to wait. If you want, PM me the user name
you signed up with and I'll ask. But the wait times for a response are usually measured
not in hours but minutes.

Did you check your spam filters?

Ian

P.S. I don't work for smugmug but am a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Hmmm. 24hrs seems like a long time to wait. If you want, PM me the user name
you signed up with and I'll ask. But the wait times for a response are usually measured
not in hours but minutes.

Ian

P.S. I don't work for smugmug but am a very satisfied customer.

Hi Ian,

I would have thought.

Maybe you can provide some suggestions.

I'm on dial-up (still) and my ISP provides 5Mb of web space for my site. Now if I choose to go high speed, that ISP provides 15Mb of web space, so I don't need my present ISP.

The other solution is to use a photo hosting site as my web site, but I would think that it would limit me in what I can do. Can I post links on SmugMug? I haven't tried yet. If I go that route, I can get high speed interent for a lot less from other providers, but with no frills such as web space.

So which route to go? And since I don't generate revenue with my site, I want to keep it cheap. Its there as a service, nothing more.

Hi Ian,

I would have thought.

Maybe you can provide some suggestions.

I'm on dial-up (still) and my ISP provides 5Mb of web space for my site. Now if I choose to go high speed, that ISP provides 15Mb of web space, so I don't need my present ISP.

15MB isn't a lot of space when it comes to original photos. With SM, you can upload
any size original. SM will convert it into thumbnail and several other sizes (including
the original) on uploading. With your own service, you'll do the conversions yourself.
Or you might shoot pictures at a lower resolution.

My self, one image can be 12MB in size. I may edit it but I almost always upload
originals.

The amount of data you can store on SM is unlimited.

GlobalRider said:
The other solution is to use a photo hosting site as my web site, but I would think that it would limit me in what I can do. Can I post links on SmugMug? I haven't tried yet. If I go that route, I can get high speed interent for a lot less from other providers, but with no frills such as web space.

SM isn't a web host per se but depending on the level of subscription, you can
heavily modify the look and feel of your site. Take a look at the customization section
in the SM support forums over on www.dgrin.com. I think you'll find there's a very
wide range of features.

SM Help.
SM Customization.
SM API's and Hacks.

GlobalRider said:
So which route to go? And since I don't generate revenue with my site, I want to keep it cheap. Its there as a service, nothing more.

At a minimum, you get unlimited data storage. The reliability of data center class
services. No spam or banner ads and no requirement to purchase a minimum
number of prints to keep your subscription alive. Some of the recently update
"themes" are pretty cool too. If you want to add passwords on a gallery, just
click the button. The online help is pretty good too (plus it comes with a whole
community of peeps willing to help both with your skills and SM).

If you do choose to order prints, they come with an unconditional guarantee. If you
are not happy, SM will refund your money or reprint them at no charge to you.

As a side note, SM takes photography pretty seriously. Not only do they try to
present your photos in the best possible way, they provide some of the best
color correction (i2e) and explore why flash reddens prints (the science).
I really do think the founders are committed to providing the best photo sharing
site.

Not bad for $40.

Back